It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My fiancé and me just had a baby girl march 5th and we both are on subutek the clinic where we get it knew she was pregnant and her baby dr knew she was on it but nobody ever mentioned anything about the baby withdrawing from it we know other ppl that was on it and had babies and had no problem but when ours was born they said she was showing signs of withdraw which their idea of symptoms seemed like normal baby activity like sucking, yawning, crying, ect but anyway it started out she was gonna be there 4-6 days then 6-10 days now it's been 17 days and they told us it would be sunday which is tomorrow now they're saying 2-3 days she is not showing any signs she eats good she sleeps good she's not having tremors or anything and I don't know what to do has anyone else experienced anything like this? Every website we've looked at every thing we have read says 4-5 days so y are they keeping her so long??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 pm 

I'm afraid I can't help you with the number of days your baby will be at the hospital. Once the determination was made that your baby was in withdrawal and they start her on medication, all you can really do is wait. The doctor who runs this forum has had many pregnant patients on suboxone/subutex and says that the percentage of babies who experience withdrawal is much lower than if the mom was on methadone or heroin.

I'm not surprised that your baby's symptoms seemed like regular newborn symptoms. I believe that once the hospital staff know the mom is on sub or any other opiate, they are more likely to see normal infant behavior as being withdrawal symptoms. After they learn that mom is an addict, the staff is often biased to see withdrawal in the infant.

I wish I could give you a time frame, but I can't. What I can do, though, is congratulate you both for taking charge of your recovery by deciding to go on sub. The baby now has a brighter future than before you got on suboxone!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well thank u but we feel like we did sumthin wrong even some of the nurses have made comments to her that she shouldn't have been taking it all she did was sub one opiate for another and she's really beating herself up over it and it's driving us crazy we want her home and they won't tell us anything everyone we talk to tells us sumthin different it's just a very difficult situation to be in it feels like they r punishing us and keep our baby from us as long as they can I wish we could just take her home

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm 

The nurses who are being judgmental are wrong and ignorant. They don't understand addiction and they don't understand how suboxone changes the lives of addicts. But this is an attitude you can find anywhere in society. Some NA members preach that taking suboxone is just substituting one drug for another too, but do they know the relapse rate of addicts trying to remain clean without it? It's over 90% and that is probably a conservative estimate!

You keep your chin up, OK? You and your girlfriend have done a great thing by putting your addiction in remission. Now that your life is in control, you can hold a job, get more education, buy a house someday... The sky's the limit!

You are welcome on this forum any time. If you need some encouragement, just let our members know! They are the best folks out there!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

congratulations on your new baby, first of all! :-) and unfortunately, secondly I agree with what Amy said in her response about the bias moms who are on Suboxone sometimes have to deal with from medical professionals. Dr. Junig, the founder of this forum had written many articles about this very subject to which I'll provide you a link to read for yourself about NAS, and how it may be experienced by the newborn, and how every cry or move by the baby may be interpreted as withdrawal by nurses etc. I'm so sorry that you've not been able to take your baby home yet, but I hope it'll be very soon. welcome to the forum and feel free to post anytime with questions, concerns, experiences, or just to vent. there are so many caring and knowledgeable members here who will be very supportive and give their insight, opinions, experiences and answer your questions if they can, or direct you to the answers you're seeking. you've certainly come to the right place. also wanna say how lucky your baby is to have parents in remission from active addiction by treating their illness with a proven medication!

here are those links to the articles by Dr. Junig. Maybe if you show them to a doctor or nurse or share the information with them it could help, not sure, but it's worth a try. I hope you find these helpful. Good luck and please keep us updated!

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/newborn ... -get-real/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/newborn ... d-of-care/

http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/withdra ... uilt-trip/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hey Amy, we must've been typing at the same time. Ididn't mean to say almost exactly what you said.... great minds, right lol?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:16 pm 

I'm glad you chimed in! I don't know about my crazy mind, but yours seems pretty great to me! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL, back at ya! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your comforting comments in a time so hard for us. This is mother speaking now. Baby is still in hospital but doing great just unsure about the hospital care and what they are doing. I have made a list of questions and notes from hospital and organization websites. We are trying so hard to spend as much time with baby her being 1 1/2 hours from home and having a 2 year old at home. I cried all morning looking at pictures of my sweet 2 year old daughter while holding our newborn. One of the judge mental nurses suggested I see my OB for post partum but I assure u that is not what is wrong with me, what IS wrong with me is Feeling like doing the right thing taking subutex and letting all of my doctors know about it has turned out to be the wrong thing but I know it isn't it only feels that way.

Last edited by robnash14 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Newborns pediatrician also told me not to breastfeed as it would make withdraw worse when hospital websites highly recommend it in the situation and I wanted to so bad :'(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, I am checking your links u posted as we speak. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:15 pm 

I'm glad you were able to see our comments, baby's mama! I would like to have some of these judgmental nurses walk a mile in your shoes! Or any addict's shoes for that matter. They have no idea what you've overcome to get to this point in your life.

Please keep us updated and let us know how your sweet baby is doing. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Even though you've encountered obviously ignoranthospital staff,iI hope you'll take solace in the fact that you and your boyfriend have done the right thing by treating your opiate dependence with buprenorphine. it's the best thing for both of you and the baby as well. I'm so sorry that you've had to go through the hell you've had to endure not being able to take your baby home and having to make sure you can spend time with your two year old also while traveling to see your new baby. please keep your chin up.
As for breastfeeding while taking sub, there are differing opinions on the matter, but much of what I've read suggests that such a miniscule amount of bupe is passed through breast milk, combined with the poor oral bio availability, that it's not harmful to the newborn, and that the benefits far outweigh any possible risks. I'm not giving an expert opinion, but relating what I've read here, at Suboxone talk zone, and from mothers who've breastfed their infants while taking bupe. I hope that other members may be able to provide you with links to the posts here of mothers who've done so. I'm sorry you've been denied that unique bonding opportunity with your baby. I was able to get some good info at this link I'm giving you here, and hope it will also be helpful to you.
http://subutexbabies.proboards.com/thre ... ding-okay/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is the boyfriend. I wanna thank u all for ur kind words and support I know that ppl that's not experienced addiction has no idea what it's like and what a great drug buprenorphine can be and how much it can help ppl it's a shame that in 2014 we still have such close minded and ignorant ppl. This has been the hardest thing I've went threw we get treated like criminals and it feels like they're trying to keep our baby from us as much as they legally can. I know we're gonna make it threw this and it will all be over soon it's just hard to see my fiancé blame herself and feel like she did sumthin wrong. Our lives now compared to a year or so ago is a complete 180 so as hard as this is we're gonna come out and be that much stronger. Thank u all so much

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I completely agree that now in 2014, there shouldn't be such ignorance and bias especially in the medical field about buprenorphine treatment for opioid dependence. Medication assisted treatment of opiate addiction is one of the most evidence based treatment in all of medicine, yet you two obviously good parents are being denied your child and treated like you've done something wrong, it's shameful the way you've been treated! The decision to breastfeed your baby, as far as I know is entirely up to you though. They may recommend or suggest to you that you can't, but if it's something that you truly want to do,I think you have the right to do so. Are they not allowing it, or just advising against it? the close skin to skin contact can be very soothing for the baby, and no one can argue that the antibodies and other precious nutrients present in breast milk are not good for your baby.
I know you're going through a really terrible time right now not having your baby at home, but please DON'T blame yourself for the ignorance of the hospital staff, as they seem to be the ones responsible for keeping your baby in the hospital as long as they have, due to their own lack of education or knowledge of buprenorphine and NAS. You have done the right and responsible thing by taking your medication. we'll be here for you so please keep updating us on how you're all doing. Hang in there, both of you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OMG things have gotten crazy my fiancé and her mom went to the hospital this morning and started asking the dr questions about what was going on and if she could be transferred to a hospital closer cuz this one is a hour and a half away and he called social services and apparently so did one of the nurses and told them that we didn't come to see the baby or call and check on her for 5 days which is bullshit she went home for a couple days to rest after having her but called everyday and has been there 13-14 of the 18 days she's been there and the nurse also told them that we didn't even have custody of our other lil girl and we do she has been staying at her mamaws while her mom has been staying at the hospital with the baby and I work 5 am to 4 pm but times she has came home we have her omg I can't believe they would do that is she suppose to force a 2 year old to stay 5-6 days at the hospital this had turned into the most f**ked up situation I have ever been in r we not allowed to ask questions about our kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just want to offer some support and tell you that I'm sorry you're both going through this. It is very clear that you guys are concerned about, and care for, your baby, otherwise you wouldn't even be posting here! Maybe you could print out this thread to show the social worker as evidence that you've been actively concerned about getting your baby home. It shows that you have taken the time to ask for help and support regarding your baby's situation and that you are anxious to get her home.

Again, so sorry. I hope all this is cleared up soon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you're going through all of this at a time when you should be celebrating your new baby's arrival. the bias and ignorance we addicts face all the time is ridiculous especially when coming from so called medical professionals. I've dealt with it from time to time, but nothing compared to what's happening to your family, and it makes me angry!. I'm not sure what to say about what they're doing to you, but agree with tiny dancer that perhaps showing them what you've posted and learned here and from the articles written by Dr. Junig, will show them that your ARE caring, concerned, responsible parents. You both made the decision to have proper medical treatment for your addiction, which is perfectly legal, and responsible. I can't see from any of what you have told us where you've broken the law or done anything to warrant a call to social services, so hopefully after they check things out they will leave you alone. seems ti me like the doctor's and nurse's way of showing you their disapproval and ignorance.... nothing more! I hope you will get this resolved quickly and take your precious baby home soon to be with her big sister. Again, please keep your heads up and keep us updated. I'll be closely following your thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree I think they're punishing us cuz we've done nothing wrong. I'm not worried about a social worker coming to our house or anything cuz I know we're good parents and there's no way they will be able to say we're unfit parents my fiancé is an amazing mother. I am gonna print out the article the Dr wrote and take them with us and we're gonna talk to a lawyer and see if there's anything legally we can do cuz the list of shady stuff they have done is a mile long. Once again thank u all for ur support it has been nice to talk to sumone that isn't being judgmental and knows the truth I know everything will be ok it's just really shitty we have to go threw this the social worker that came to the hospital made her sign a paper that was called a back up plan which says when the baby gets out of the hospital until they come to our house to do a check my fiancés mom has to stay with us and if they find us unfit she gets to keep her and a pamphlet they gave her explaining what they do was talking about child abuse and neglect which means they're treating us like they would someone beating their kid it's not fair and have missed precious time with our baby I just can't wait for it to be over it's like being stuck in a nightmare hopefully the lawyer will be able to help us with what we should or can do about it. Thank u all so so much if I wasn't able to come here and vent I woulda prolly exploded already

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:06 am 

You are absolutely doing the right thing by hiring a lawyer for your case. It's absolutely appalling how you've been treated!! You do have rights and the lawyer should be able to advocate for you. I'm so mad on your behalf that I can't even see straight!! Please keep us updated! We absolutely care about how this turns out for you and your fiance!

Amy