It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: im baaaaaaack
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone, most of you probably dont know me, but maybe 1 or 2 will remember me

I've been off suboxone for a while now - about 3 years with no relapse I think? Maybe more like 2 and a half.

Anyways, I found since quitting that i have fibromyalgia, and so i'm pretty much always in pain. recently i was prescribed Tramadol and it helped a lot so i took it a few months. Now i'm coming off it and it's trouble - it's like a less potent suboxone withdrawal that steals my sleep and moods. Hm

So i just thought I"d post on here for some support since the people are so cool. I've been doing pretty well, 5 weeks off it, but tonight i had to take some because of incredible stress. I'm hoping not to have to take more.

Post subject: Re: im baaaaaaack
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Eric still Is wrote:
Hey everyone, most of you probably dont know me, but maybe 1 or 2 will remember me

I've been off suboxone for a while now - about 3 years with no relapse I think? Maybe more like 2 and a half.

Anyways, I found since quitting that i have fibromyalgia, and so i'm pretty much always in pain. recently i was prescribed Tramadol and it helped a lot so i took it a few months. Now i'm coming off it and it's trouble - it's like a less potent suboxone withdrawal that steals my sleep and moods. Hm

So i just thought I"d post on here for some support since the people are so cool. I've been doing pretty well, 5 weeks off it, but tonight i had to take some because of incredible stress. I'm hoping not to have to take more.

Hey there Eric!
Great job getting and staying off Suboxone- 2.5 - 3 years- wow!!! I'm going on 4 months now :)
Something in your post spoke to me a bit- you said "I had to take some because of incredible stress".
One of my 'forum friends' told me something their drug councelor drummed into their head, and it really helped with a shift in my own thinking:
"You never HAVE to take drugs again"
Might sound simple, but it's true. Especially Tramadol for 'stress', KWIM? IMO, some healthier ways to deal with stress in the future might be excercise, music, friends (talking), posting, crying, screaming (get it out!), sleep, rest, massage, prayer, meditation....well, you get the picture, right? Then hopeuflly you won't "have" to go through anymore withdrawals! I have taken Tramadol/ Ultram and gotten high from it. Ended up ordering it through the mail pretty consistently for a bit, and dumping a LOT of cash down the toilet!
Re-learning healthy coping skills is probably the biggest challenge after the wdls of suboxone subside, right?
Have a great Saturday!
:D BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thats true. However, I do pretty much all those things daily, tried most of them last night, and last night my pain both physical and mental, was so intense it was about all I could do. Its true, i didnt have to take it, but I didnt have money to goto the ER , and i have a prescription, so I figured it was a decent choice.

Luckily, i've never been an "addict" in the sense that I've never chased drugs, abused them, or taken had problems stopping. Its more just dealing with the sleep loss and mood changes during stopping.

Unfortunately with fibromyalgia exercise is basically impossible. If I walk more than 1/4 mile a day I get incredibly sick and my immune system shuts down. If I continue to push it i get shingles and other weird viral infections. Also, I'm incredibly socially anxious, so that outlet (going out and meeting people) which i used to have as a kid is now gone.

But I hear what youre saying, and I'm always looking for new coping strategies. I appreciate your reply.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ahh- I wasn't thinking of the physical pain, just the "stress" you mentioned. That is tough! Hang in there- I hope you find relief!!

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Butterflying, how are you doing at the 4 month off suboxone mark? Are your physical symptoms gone now? I remember having some lingering mental things going on for a bit, and some excessive fatigue.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'll be at 4 months on the 25th and I really feel pretty good. I'm still not sleeping as much as I'd like, but I think part of that could be that I'm drinking too much coffee. But mentally I'm doing great- happy, optimistic, hopeful. I have some "ups and downs" but zero "regrets" about stopping the subs! For me it was absolutely the right choice.

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

excellent, great to hear success stories. Just out of curiosity, did you ween down or jump cold turkey?

I'm sure you've probably picked up a lot of advice on this forum already, but walking can help with sleep. Try walking a mile or two for a few days and see how that goes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I tapered down from 12mgs to .375 over a period of 6 months. Thanks for the advice about walking;, yes, excercise is SO important to a successful taper / jump. I work out intensely and regularly and I'm sure that is part of my success. I'm pretty sure I just need to cut back or cut out the caffine (I did sleep 7.5 hours last night though :)

Mahatma Gandhi