It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been reading these blogs for weeks and communication with my sub doc about a cervical dissectormy and fusion I had yesterday. It was a nightmare. I was prepared, communicated to antatstesia and my surgeon about me being on Suboxone. I said what i was suppose to say and asked them to call me sub doctor. They whole thing ended in a painful nightmare because the surgeon has to much pride and arrogance to research how to treat a sub patient. Of 4000 surgeries, I was his first on sub..his PA had never heard of the drug and refused to call my sub doc for advice.....anyway..I wake from surgery in agonizing pain..to the point of crying and raising my voice in pain. The nurses and doctor were rude to me a basically said, most patients don't have this much pain and take Lortab for pain...he cave me valium to calm my nerves..I was pissed...one night in very bad pain with one 7.5 Percocet every 4 hours....no releif...there was no effort on anyone's part to relieve my pain or at least research how to treat a sub patient. Anyway, talked them into Giving me 10mg perk to go home with which I will double and take for 2 days..the. Back to subs...this sucks and wife is pissed!m.

Please tell me how I can help and prevent this from happening again!? Should I go to the Tennessee medical board, hospital CEO, etc? Granted this neurosurgeon was highly recommended, Harvard, NIH, etc..yet ignorant and cavalier about my special cercumstance. In this day of age they have the duty to provide pain relief and the ball was dropped many times here..I want to prevent this to happening to others! Do not select a serguon unless they will sit down with you 2 weeks out and have a plan of action...
Thanks,
Nashville., in pain and angry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm 
Wow. Another awful story of negligence. I'm sorry you had to go through this. I've read so many stories of people undergoing surgery on Sub and having it be a painful nightmare, just like you said.

I feel that doctors often do not adequately explain to their patients what Suboxone maintenance entails. Doctors will prescribe maintenance doses up to 24-32 mg/day, but I have never heard a doctor explain what will happen if you need surgery and are taking such a high dose of such a strong medication. It makes me angry that so many people have to suffer their surgeries in pain, unexpectedly, because they weren't warned that they would need both days (if not weeks) off Sub plus a much higher than normal dose of pain meds in order to achieve pain relief.

Aside from making sure that your surgeon and sub doc have communicated IN ADVANCE, the only real way to prevent this is by taking a lower dose of Sub. This will both keep your tolerance and the blockade effect of the Sub to a minimum.

I'm so sorry your wife is angry with you. I'm sure for someone who has never been in this position it is hard for them to imagine what intense pain the doctor left you in.

I wish you a speedy recovery!

Post subject: Thanks for the reply
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just to clarify, my wife is very supportive and was not upset with me but very upset with how I was treated..she is an RN and made sure people knew I was treated unfairly...it is my mission to make people aware of my treatment as one of the oaths that doctors take it to ensure that their patients are treated fairly and pain it managed. My doctor told he he had done this particular surgery 2500 times and myain was the worse he had seen..of course I was also his only bupe patient!! He and his staff dropped the ball by not listening to the patient due to his arrogance...he has been published 25+ times and I think this cockiness clouded his judgement!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry you went through that. Unfortunately, it's not an isolated incident. When our members have surgeries planned, we try to prepare for it in that we have an NIH paper online that we've shared with out members. Maybe it will help you in the future:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... s17732.pdf

It's a great article about treating acute pain in sub and methadone patients with 7 pages of references. Many of us share this with our sub docs, surgeons, and anesthesiologists. We of course cannot force them to read it, but we can offer it to them and hope they'll be receptive.

I've always wondered who to go to in order to try to change this. One of my ideas was the state licensing boards? Or maybe even better, the AMA? They would have jurisdiction over every doc nationwide - is that correct? I really don't know. Someone, somewhere needs to know that there are doctors out there that are standing by watching people writhe in pain and they do nothing.

I hope this paper helps you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:06 pm 
I gotta ask, did they max you out on IV painkillers while you were in the hospital?

I don't know that even the max dose would cut through 8+mg/day of Sub..and if they max you out, there is nothing else they can do..meaning no negligence.

However, based on your take home dose, there is a good chance they DIDN'T..and in that case, you gotta ask why??

I hate the way doctors think of us. I have learned to dislike and distrust doctors since this whole experience began. Except my sub doc, he is great.

Post subject: Meds
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

5 mins before surgery they gave me versed and diloudid (sp?). The Bupe, even after 40 hours of my not taking it did block the diloudid. I work up in horrible pain with zero IV morphine or fentenel. Nothing they did was illegal or malpractice. It was just poor care. Something should be said to the fact that I was the only person in post op wide awake and in horrible pain..also I remembered every 1.5 ours of it. Whileothere were asleep and dead to the world. I stayed in a room over night in pain with nothing given to my but perc 7.5. Sad huh...luckily the pain is getting better as bupe is much more cleared my system...I'm going back on suboxone tomorrow. After Christmas, I am going to move up the latter and remind all parties involved that they need to educate themselves about Bupe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
I'm so sorry you went through that. Unfortunately, it's not an isolated incident. When our members have surgeries planned, we try to prepare for it in that we have an NIH paper online that we've shared with out members. Maybe it will help you in the future:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... s17732.pdf

It's a great article about treating acute pain in sub and methadone patients with 7 pages of references. Many of us share this with our sub docs, surgeons, and anesthesiologists. We of course cannot force them to read it, but we can offer it to them and hope they'll be receptive.

I've always wondered who to go to in order to try to change this. One of my ideas was the state licensing boards? Or maybe even better, the AMA? They would have jurisdiction over every doc nationwide - is that correct? I really don't know. Someone, somewhere needs to know that there are doctors out there that are standing by watching people writhe in pain and they do nothing.

I hope this paper helps you.

Thanks for sharing this with us!