It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm wondering what dose people stay on when they are planning to stay on suboxone for years?

I have been on suboxone for a total of 18 months without relapse. I started at 24 mgs, and have slowly dropped that dose. I'm currently taking the 8 mg films, and I've been stable on that dose for about 3 months.

My question is whether to just stay at 8, or if it's normal to go lower for long term use. My doctor is not much help with this question. I have no intentions of stopping suboxone, it has cured me of both alcoholism and opiate addiction and I believe I need to stay on it for as long as it is safe to do so.

My motivation for trying to drop to 4 mgs or lower would be to try to help some of the sweating the subs cause me. Also, it would save me some money.

So...... How much are the rest of you taking? My thoughts are to try going down to 4 mg and see if that works for me, but I'm interested in knowing what others are doing when they are stable and planning on staying on subs for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There really is no normal or average dose for people who stay on sub maintenance. Some people stay at 16, others at 6. It's really a matter of what you need to address your cravings. You might be able to go lower to stop your withdrawals, but more for those cravings.

You could always try dropping by 1 or 2 mg and see how you feel. If you don't feel as good, then go back up to 8 mg. If however, you still don't have cravings or withdrawals, then you could probably stay at that lower dosage. The "less is more" idea is to be on the lowest possible dosage that takes care of both w/d and cravings. Plus the lowest possible dose can reduce some of the side effects.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:38 am 
Hello Freedom! Congratulations on doing so well with your recovery with Suboxone! That's great.....sounds like you found something that has helped you immensely and you haven't looked back since!! If I were you, I wouldn't be in a hurry to change anything either!!
I agree with Hatmaker....you'll see a pretty wide variety of maintenence doses for long-term Sub use. I also agree that generally, less is more if you're going to stay on Sub for the long haul. That is, unless it's being used for pain control....that changes things considerably.
Anyway, in your case, I would suggest trying to drop your dose to 6mg/day for a while and see what happens. If you don't feel well at first, you can always try alternating days 8mg/6mg/8mg/6mg, etc for a while, then try again to stick with the 6mg/day. Personally, in my 2 years on Sub, I have been able to drop on down to 4mg/day rather quickly and with minimal to no bad symptoms at all. In fact, in many ways I felt better on the lower doses.
So, sure, give it a try and see how it goes. Just listen to your body, beware of cravings creeping their way in and take your time. Oh and for me, the other motivator was $$...when you're paying out of pocket, dropping from 8mg to 4mg is (obviously) cutting your cost in half!!
Good luck to you. HOpe you'll stick around and tell us how it goes!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i myself was on 24 to 32 mgs for 6 years till i switched to methadone.

But it is all indivisualized for each person i know a kid who literally takes crumbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for your replies. It really shouldn't be such an issue, it's just that my addict mind starts obsessing over silly thing, like how will I know how to accurately cut off a mg of my strip? And then it seems like a waste of money to throw them out, but I guess I shouldn't be saving slivers of suboxone to save up enough to make a dose. And, if I don't get down to at least 4 mgs, it's not worth it to save money. If I was at 4, I could cut the 8s in half and then only have to pay for 15 strips/month.

I know this is rambling, but I think it helps to write it all down so I know that I am just obsessing. It's easy enough, cut back and if I have withdrawals, I can just go back to 8 and try a different plan, like every other day drops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:27 am 
I take 1.25 mg/day. My goal is to get down to .5 2x per day.

I have been on buprenorphine (I take generic bupe now) for 14 months, with only 3-4 1-3 day long relapses. Oddly enough, all but one has occurred at >2 mg.

I personally feel that maintenance doses should be kept low. 4 mg if you need the blocking effect, and 2 or less if you feel you are strong enough to be without it, and for most people, including myself, it means the very very slow, months long taper off. I believe this because buprenorphine is 20-40x as potent as morphine, and I don't see the point of actually ending up taking more opiate then you were in the first place.

Again, just IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:34 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello, All:

I have been on Suboxone for almost 7 years.
Right now, I am on 4 mg once daily.
This dose seems to be "holding" me quite well.
However, I do realize that sometime in the future- due to insurance reasons
(I am on Medicaid)- I will have to stop-or else markedly decrease-
my dosage- because my insurance will- at some point- stop paying for my subs.
At that point, I will have to either go off of them completely, or go on a very low dose-
because I will have to pay for my subs in cash.
(I am on a low, fixed income.)

-ex-