It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I had to call my psyc. dr yesterday because I made a mistake! I took my two grandchildren to a theme park on Monday afternoon. I live in an area thats warm so I usually take a soda or water in with me cause these parks charge an arm & a leg for drinks. Well, in keeping up with the kids, I put both drinks in my bag. One thing that I always do is take me Subs with me when I leave town (just in case) well....... one of the drinks leaked in my bag and yes, you guessed it, into the bottle of subs. By the time I realized it (it was dark outside) I took everything out of the bag and just gave the bottle a little shake and it didn't shake! Awwww! it has soda in it and the subs had gone into the mush state and by mew shaking it I just made more mush! some of the tabs were melted down to the point when they are about to break apart, but moistly just mush. I had to call the docs office yesterday. They left a message (cause they are closed for the week between Christmas and New Year's) but said if it was an emergency to call this other number. I didn't do that yesterday, just left a message on the office line as they said they would check messages periodically. I didn't want to disturb their holidays but thought a call would be returned by at least this morning! 24 hours later. No call, so I called the number left for emergencies. I got the dr.'s assistant which I now know is also his wife. She said yeah, they were just discussing this and they thought Why in the world would I take my medication with me! huh? I didn't think that it was so odd to carry the meds on me when I was out of town! besides, we are talking about suboxone, the medication that has a ceiling! I do not take more than I should because I do not get any benefit from doing that! I felt like a criminal! It was an honest mistake and I have never had to have an early refill before. Granted, I have not been with this dr. that long but regardless, as stupid as it sounds, I do not understand why they act like you are taking oxys or loritabs, etc? What good is that kind of behavior? Now I realize that they have to follow the federal guidelines and all but again, there is no benefit for anyone to be treated like this! of course in explaining what happened, they jumped to the conclusion that I should be prescribed enough to wean off and if that is what I have to do, so be it but again, I, for a moment felt like someone who constantly had to get early refills on my oxys. Then I had to regain my composure and remember that it was a mistake..... and I do not take OXYS! so she (his assistant, and wife) will call me back later to talk about it and fill out a form via the phone because they are on vacation. I will, just so I do not have to go into w/ds wait by the phone and answer any ?? she may have. Even though this drug is so much better to all the alternatives, it still seems to carry a stigma? Not sure I get this attitude I received today! BTW, I was prescribed suboxone after several ortho surgeries and taking oxycodone for a year or so. I wanted an alternative to oxy's and got onto subs about a year ago. I had been talking with my Psyc. "shrink" about going off the subs just because I was physically feeling better but he put me on a new anti-depressant recently and didn't want to wean me off of the subs right now. I guess that has all changed.... Thanks for letting me vent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How long has it been since you had any suboxone? How are you doing? A similar story happened to me a few months ago wasn't concerning my suboxone but another medication and boy did they give me a hard time! And it was the pharmacies fault and the nurse I spoke with said that they were not at fault so be it! If the doctors handwriting had been clearer then the mistake wouldnt have happened, anyway needless to say I had to go in and see him again pay another doctor fee and he wrote the script early so all ended well, I really hope the best turns out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have enough for today. I took my usual this morning and I have another for this evening but they are making me wait for sure! since they are on vacation, I suppose they are doing other things and don't want to bother with me right now but ya know, this is a psychiatrist! I don't see him just for the sub., I see him for depression too! and we're talking major depression for most of my life. It is as though I should be punished or something! I tried to wean myself off the 'usual' way, the fast way, once and MAN, it was not so good! I tend to have major anxiety! I can't function normally. She told me earlier that I should just get on a taper and get off. Well, thats fine, as long as they don't say 'screw you', suffer! thats just plain wrong!

Is it so bad to carry your medication with you when u are out of town? I mean, for her to say to me, "We were wondering why in the world you would take your medication with you!" seems a bit strong! what else would someone do? leave it at home?, in the car?, or in the hotel room? Yes, I signed a contract, yes I said I would be responsible, but I didn't think that being irresponsible was keeping it close to me! DAMN! I am just so tired of the stigma cause theres not much I can do with this med other than sell it and for God's sake, I am a responsible grandmother of two who would not sacrifice my life for dealing!

Anyway, I am good for today. Hopefully, they call me back and give me some GOOD news! Thank you for your concern, it is good to know I can come somewhere and there is actually people who understand and do not judge me based on a mistake! (((Hugs)))

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hello. Well, I cannot say that this has happened to me nor have I known anyone this has happened to.

I am sure that your doctor is not the only one who would ask that question. But it is not right. You had your meds by your side so you knew exactly where they were and they were not unattended. You (for instance) could have left them in a hotel room or something and they could have gotten robbed. Then they would have asked why weren't they in your purse (or pocket I guess). But I guess we can't really blame them because they probably experience all types of excuses why someone needs an early refill. Excuses that are total BS and these people could be diverting the pills. The doctors do have to watch their backs, but if you are a good patient, with nothing negative since being with that doctor, then they should at least give you a chance.

I hope they work with you so you are not out untill they come back from vacation.....Good luck and keep us updated please!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Have you tried taking the pills that are all clumped together, etc. to the pharmacy where they were filled? You are in a great position here because you can actually show anyone what actually happened. You can show the doctor when she returns. Until then, you may be able to "trade" the half dissolved pills for at least some replacements. You will likely have to pay for them, but I know for a fact it is legal for the pharmacy to do this. In fact, I know of people who have done it. It might be worth a try.

As for what should you do? Well in the future, it would be best if you only take the number of pills that you need along with you. Nothing says that you have to take the entire bottle. Get one of those plastic pill boxes. In fact, using something like that will help to protect from leaking, melting, etc. Beyond that placing the container in a plastic bag is another great idea. I can tell you that just regular things have been ruined when shampoo, hair products, soda, or whatever leaks inside of luggage. I have seen it happen. Just keep some of these ideas in mind for the next time you pack. You really have to treat your Subxone pills like you would $100 dollar bills.

And finally, sad but true, you might be amazed at the constant string of excuses pretty much every doctor and every pharmacy in the world hears. "I lost my pills" "Someone stole a few" "They got dropped down the sink" "I mistakenly did this or that" It is almost daily that a doctor hears some form of this story. Unfortunately, when a real mishap does occur, it's hard to tell the difference - from their side of things. They hear it all of the time. Again, the fact that you also have the "evidence" to show them should make all of the difference in the world in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Flora,

Donh had a great idea about taking the mish-mash to a pharmacy. It's at least worth a try. Have you also considered just cutting your dose a bit until this is squared away?

I totally understand your point about the stigma. I feel it too - sometimes I think I'm just paranoid and thinking they're judging me when they're not. (Like when you tell someone for the first time you're taking it.) I don't blame you for feeling a bit punished.

I will add that a psychiatrist who goes out of town and doesn't want to deal with emergencies ought to have another shrink as a back-up. Just my opinion.

Take care, good luck and keep us posted.

Melissa