It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

New here to the forum and need some advice. I have been on Suboxone for 2 1/2 years and currently down to 2mg a day. I have about 15 pills left and want to get down and off as soon as possible. does anyone know the best way to do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi kona,

That's a difficult question, at best. OK, you're at 2mg and you have 15 of the 2mg pills left? You don't have 15 of the 8mg pills left, eh?

I'll assume it's 15 of the 2mg pills.

You could go to 1.5mg now and stay there for 10 days. Then go to 1mg and stay there for 10 days. Then go to .5mg for 10 days. If I'm doing my math correctly, that will eat up those 15 pills perfectly.

The above method is NOT the best way to come off suboxone, I have to say that. The best way to come off sub is a long and slow taper.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo is right. Ideally you'd want to give yourself time to taper slowly down to way below 1 mg, giving yourself time to adjust to each small drop. But given what you have to work with, Romeo probably gave you the best possible way. Do you have the option of getting another prescription and extending this another month or so? Either way, good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:27 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey Kona!

Welcome to the forum! Like Romeo and Hat said the long slow taper is the best way to reduce the withdrawl and paws. If you can I think it would really benefit you to get at least one more script. Pesronally, I have tried to rush though my taper at times. I end up getting frustrated with myself cause I want off so bad but by rushing I only made my symptoms worse! I stopped putting myself through that and gave my body the time it needed to adjust to the new dose. I'm at 1mg now and I have been going very slow. Yes, I still have some side effects but nothing like when I was trying to push through it. I have been reducing my dose by 25% every 3-4 weeks sometimes a little longer.It all depends on the individual. Some people feel fine in 5-7 days after a reduction but I usually dont. You will know when your ready to taper again.

How long have you been tapering? How long at the 2mg dose? I'm only asking because under 2mg it got a little harder for me. After the 1mg point some people actually start a liquid taper.This way you jump at a very,very low dose and have little to no wd. You can find information about that here- http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=296 if your interested. I have read of a lot of people trying this method and having success. It's what I plan to do next.

What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck. There are lots of knowegeable and caring people here who will be able to help you with your taper. Do you have any kind of comfort meds for when you decide to jump? Clonodine ( a blood pressure med) helps a lot with wd. I would suggest trying to get some from your doctor. Please keep us posted :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi All .... i actually have 15 of the 8mg tabs left. Today was my first day on 1 mg in am and I took 1mg in the afternoon and I feel okay, a little jumpy and want to take more but otherwise ok. I was taking 2mg in AM and 2MG in the afternoon before this. Am I going too fast? I want this to work so badly, I can get another script but I'll have to pay since insurance is now gone. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh that's much better - it should make it much easier. I'm still on sub and have never tapered off, so I'm going to leave it to others who have to help you work out a plan, but get out some paper or a calendar and try to start figuring this out. It's recommended to drop anywhere between 10% (Dr. J's recommendation I believe) and 25%, then allow yourself a few weeks or maybe less depending on how you feel to adjust before dropping again. The best advice I can give you is to listen to your body and try to remain flexible in your plan. I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I'm sure others will come along with better words of wisdom. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, thanks for the info. That helps us to help you.

If I were you, I would get another script, but it would be for the 2mg pills. Doing an effective taper with those 8mg monsters is pretty tricky. It can be done, but the 2mg pills are lot easier to work with.

Miss.Self.Destruct gave you some excellent advice on tapering. I'm just going to add that I do think you are going too fast. I can understand how you want off of sub so bad, but you have 2.5 years invested in your recovery, why risk fucking it all up by rushing through your taper? Make sense?

Please don't take anything I'm saying as being mean....I'm honestly just trying to help you avoid a buggered up taper, OK?

So, slow down a bit, try to get some of the 2mg pills filled and STAY IN TOUCH WITH US. There are plenty of people here who would be more than happy to continue helping you through this, including me.

BTW, I was on sub just shy of three years when I quit. Quitting sub was hard enough for me, staying off all opiates....now there's the real battle!! You need to know that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks for the advice and no I do not want to screw this up but it was so easy to drop from 8mg to 4mg and I am really scared about the last 2-3 mg that I am stressing. So I should drop to 3mg for now? I will get another script for the 2mg. You are right ....... I am trying to go to fast and my doc doesn't even know I have dropped yet I have been just trying to do this on my own and realizing I might not be strong enough :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am currently at 3mg in the am and seem to be doing fine with no real symptoms. When should I drop to 2mg? I have about 9 8mg tabs left and want this to be my last script. Any suggestions on how many days I should stay on 3mg or 2mg before dropping?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My brother and i got down to taking 2mg a day for a 3-4 weeks then went down to .5 to 1mg a day for another few weeks. Our last dose was 13 days ago and we are doing great now. Best advice I can give is jump when u r sick of it and want to move on. If ur nervous about it, I wouldnt do it. Gotta have confidence that ur rdy to move on. My last dose was 1 mg and we didnt experience major withdrawls. Personally 1mg or less isnt a drastic difference imo. just give ur body time to get used to the 1mg/day...like a couple weeks. and when ur ready go for it. ask you're docotr for meds to help with the w/d symptons. Any type of muscle relaxers/sleep aids helped me. Melatonin is OTC and worked wonders for us. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Kramer, I am now down to 2mg with no major symptoms. I will try this for a few days then see if I can go down to 1mg from there. I am attempting to do 5 days of each before I drop lower. It is good to hear you did not have major problems with the w/drawal when you dropped. Very encouraging ....... terrified of some of the posts here :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

kona1389 wrote:
Thanks Kramer, I am now down to 2mg with no major symptoms. I will try this for a few days then see if I can go down to 1mg from there. I am attempting to do 5 days of each before I drop lower. It is good to hear you did not have major problems with the w/drawal when you dropped. Very encouraging ....... terrified of some of the posts here :shock:

Wow, I'm impressed with how fast you've gone down and how you've had no major symptoms. How does that happen for some people and for others, it's ten times harder? If you go from 2 to 1 mg with no significant symptoms to speak of, I'm going to think I'm crazy, lol. However, even though I absolutely have had symptoms, they have not been so bad that they make tapering unreasonably hard or anything. This is doable. It takes patience....If you can get to 1 mg and be stable at 1 mg before you jump, you may have only one week of feeling crappy, or maybe even less since you don't seem to be having any trouble at all thus far.

Good luck!! You are nearly there.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well laddertripper I hope it goes as smoothly as it has because I am ready to stop. What are you down to now? My only fear is that I have a torn disc in my back that is going to start acting up again once I am off. This is what started the whole pain pill mess but I frankly did not need 12-13 norco a day ........ the addict part of me did. I noticed since I have dropped I have more energy, like nervous energy. Has anyone experienced this? I am not complaining but just wondering if it is a side effect or just my mind :roll:
Kona

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Kona,

I experienced that nervous energy too. I think it's our Central Nervous System trying to correct itself. If that symptom becomes bothersome, Clonidine will help a lot. Clonidine is a Blood Pressure medication that's prescribed 'off label' for opiate wd. Somehow, Clonidine seems to calm all the CNS related symptoms of opiate wd. I took it during my wd and it helped a lot. It also has a sedative effect, so if you're not sleeping well, it'll help ya there too.

I understand why you would be worried about the torn disc in your back acting up again once your off sub. Just a few days ago there was a post about how opiates can change the way the brain perceives pain, the opiate addicted brain can magnify the pain signals the body is sending and then we perceive the pain we are feeling as exagerrated. I know while I was on pain meds and Suboxone that my ankles bothered me regularly. Years ago I had crushed both ankles in a fall and they have bothered me ever since. Anyway, once I quit suboxone, maybe after a month or two had passed, I noticed my ankles didn't bother me any more? Honest to God, now that I'm off opiates my ankles are pretty much fine. Only if I have been standing a lot at work do they get to hurting and I'll take 2 advil and the pain goes away completely.

I hope you experience similar results once you quit.

BTW, Congratulations on getting to 2mg!! Keep up the good work!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the support Romeo, I am feeling pretty good compared to what i have been reading and I guess i am waiting for the other shoe to drop at some point. Good to hear about your ankles and I hope my back is the same way. I would love for a couple of motrin to work again :D
So far I have had no trouble sleeping, I could actually fall asleep standing up, but I do have a couple of xanax and I heard flexeral is a good med for the aching muscles in case that starts up. I am trying to finish out this script and not need another one with 8-10 8 mg pills left I am hoping I can pull off the jump. money is a huge issue right now and we all know how expensive these little pills are without insurance. I am glad I found this site though not too much support here at home which sucks but what are ya gonna do........
Thanks again
Kona