It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No idea who will read/see this but I have found reading these forums to be helpful in encouraging me to get off the Subutex so I decided to post a thread in the hopes you guys can help me get thru the next few weeks. I'm currently in NY visiting family and friends but my home base is FL. I'm a female, 33, no kids or partner, own my own business.

Quick backstory on how i ended up on Subutex. Had raging cramps, cysts and migraines (sometimes all at once) so off to the pain DR I went. Remember FL led the nation in this shit so wasn't long before I was hooked on 30mg Oxys 5-6x a day. I never looked to the street when I ran out nor did I do heroin to replace it but I def abused it and in doing so it caused issues in my life and relationships. I started Subutex at 23, a year after getting hooked on blues.

For awhile it seemed like a great solution until I realized I had switched one pair of handcuffs for another. And while I didn't get into mischief anymore it wasn't any less annoying to deal with i.e. having to go to the dr,find a pharmacy to fill it (and the money), PAY FOR, etc. I tried getting off them once cold turkey and I did ok for a few days but then I took a small piece which made me feel better whuch llead to another piece and before you know it I'm back on it. Before I could even contemplate trying to get off it again I was diagnosed with cancer and so was my mother, long story short 10 years later I'm still on it due to my cancer treatment delaying things.

However I'm now ready to try getting off the Bup again....this time for good! I'm scared of doing it but I'm sick of it dictating my life. As I said earlier I'm currently in New York visiting friends & family, I want to stay longer but I'm almost out of sub so unless I quit I'll be forced to cut my trip early to head back to FL to get more. I'm over it. Over not being able to travel to places or stay awhile so to this pill. I want my life back, ALL OF IT!

I'm currently on about 4mg total a day. I get 8mg pills and have 5 1/2 pills left. I cut them up into 2mg pieces earlier this am to start tapering. I'm cutting down to 2mg this week and 1mg next week. Anyone ever try this from a 4mg dose? I know it's a pretty severe cut and am wondering if cold turkey would just be easier in the long run?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You got this! Our stories are very similar...Look at my post I posted a couple days ago, I'm tapering too! maybe we can do it together, hold each other accountable. Are you going to aa/na? therapy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My thread is called "Started my Taper-so far so good. I'm Ready. I'll surviveTHIS "

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I found going from 4mg to 3.75 had literally no side effects, so I've been doing 3.5 (in2 divided doses, 2mg in am, 1.5mg in pm) with NO w/d symptoms. follow me on my thread.

I just make a schedule, plan to decrease by very low amts every 2 weeks. I followed a pregnant woman on here who did the same thing with almost no discomfort. I going from:
4 to 3.75
alternate days with .06
stop. something along these lines
write yourself out a calendar with your drop dates and if you get a day where you feel crappy, and you are at a very low dose, take sliver of .125. this is my plan. hopefully I see you on my other thread. i'll be blogging my progress and hopefully you will too. (Apparently it is doable to about 1mg without side effects. under 1mg is where u notice crap, so that's why the taper dose is a lot slower)

Last edited by survivormom on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

by the way- I started on 16mg 2 years ago, leveled out at 8 for a year and just began tapering a few months ago, PAINLESSLY. I am amazed! SOOO much better then tapering off OXY :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I took 1mg this morning and while I don't feel 100% I still feel ok. The problem with tapering slowly is I don't have that many pills left so I kinda have to force myself to go down faster. I could try to have my doctor call some in and have my family mail them up but I don't want to start taking more again. However I do know 1mg might be a bit ambitious.

I would def like to take you up on your offer to do it together, it's hard to get thru it alone or even with people that care but don't understand. I've never gone to meetings because my use of opiates was never crazy however whether it's heroin to get high or Subutex post opiate addiction so you don't get sick you're still trying to ditch the crutch--whatever the reason you choose to keep it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got hooked on oxy, not from the streets, but from my dr. I thought-im not an addict...I don't steal from people or pawn stuff..im different, my body is just used to it. but against my own opinions, my sub dr makes me do drug screens weekly, therapy every 2 weeks and 2 na/aa meetings a week. I do it all, except I probably only do 1 meeting a week on average and I will tell you, you learn a lot about yourself. even non addicts would benefit from it all. it gives you support from people that are in similar situations-bc sometimes, you feel alone in this battle. a few months ago-I was not emotionally ready to taper, but now I am excited to. i'll be here for ya. if you google and read 12 and 12, I think you would be pleasantly surprised. my husband isn't an addict and knows nothing about my addiction, and I think even he would benefit from it lol. anyways, try to get your hands on a few strips/pills and we will do this together :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have 5 pills with me. And my friend also told me to go to meetings however not for nothing when you feel like crap the last thing I you want to do is get in the car lol. I feel good enough to make some lunch and do laundry but nervous to leave the house in case the fatigue sets in. But I will eventually check them out. Like I said I cut up 2mgs for today and that's all I'm allowing myself. I just took a dose and have a tiny peice leftover for before I go to bed. In 3-4 days I will cut down to 1.5mg a day. I don't wanna feel like shit but I also don't want to stay on this stuff so I feel like if should taper as much as I can while I have the willpower to do so. That way if I still need a bit more time at least I'm on a much lower dose. Still a crutch? Sure. But my friend, who's a dr, told me kicking from .25 is a hell of a lot easier than 4mg. So I know that this taper is good regardless of the outcome. Originally I was just gonna go cold turkey but if being on a lower dose helps withdraws I'll taper first. Def feeling it today but not anything I can't sleep off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:25 pm 

I have a hard time understanding how you ever came to see suboxone as a pair of handcuffs. I've been on buprenorphine for almost 6 years now and there is no way I would ever compare being in active addiction with being on suboxone. I think I was only on it for 6 months before I decided to taper to find the correct dosage for me. Now I take 2 - 3 mg a day and it's working so well!

For anyone who is new and considering going on suboxone, here are some things you can expect from this medication once you are stabilized on the right dose for you:

1. No withdrawal symptoms
2. No cravings
3. If you slip and take an opioid, you will not feel it, even if it's heroin.
4. Minimal side effects after you are accustomed to the med.
5. It's like suboxone puts your opiate addiction into remission.

Your responsibilities on suboxone:

1. Finding a good provider. (I wish all of them were great, but they're not.)
2. Paying for your care and medication. (Many locations don't take insurance even if you have it.)
3. Preparing for a long, slow taper if you want to get off the medication. (Otherwise you will have withdrawal symptoms.)
4. Using the time on suboxone wisely. (This includes rebuilding your life, cleaning up any messes from active addiction, and working on your recovery through therapy, group work, etc.)

To the original poster: I'm so sorry that you've had to fight cancer! You are strong and brave for getting through your treatment! I wish you well on your taper and detox off suboxone. I'm sure that your life looks nothing like it did during active addiction and that will help you continue a successful recovery. Congratulations on being in recovery for 10 years!!! That took some doing, even with the help of suboxone.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:32 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

survivormom wrote:
I got hooked on oxy, not from the streets, but from my dr. I thought-im not an addict...I don't steal from people or pawn stuff..im different, my body is just used to it. but against my own opinions, my sub dr makes me do drug screens weekly, therapy every 2 weeks and 2 na/aa meetings a week. I do it all, except I probably only do 1 meeting a week on average and I will tell you, you learn a lot about yourself. even non addicts would benefit from it all. it gives you support from people that are in similar situations-bc sometimes, you feel alone in this battle. a few months ago-I was not emotionally ready to taper, but now I am excited to. i'll be here for ya. if you google and read 12 and 12, I think you would be pleasantly surprised. my husband isn't an addict and knows nothing about my addiction, and I think even he would benefit from it lol. anyways, try to get your hands on a few strips/pills and we will do this together :)

i didn't think i was a "real addict" either. i shot up once and i wasn't even in active addiction then. i only did pills unless I couldn't find those, then i'd snort a couple bags. but ironic thing is, i did this so long once I got addicted, that when i was diagnosed, it was as a severe opiate addict. me?! who didn't even think i was a real addict!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't know what "being a real addict" means or doesn't mean, but it sounds like you are dependent on suboxone, which is an opiod.

I was on suboxone for nearly eight years before i got off of it. I tapered down very slowly though, I took my time until I got down to taking minuscule dots every other day. I was off of suboxone for two years but in the end I got back on it anyway.

For me it isn't just the physical withdrawal, it is the anxiety and boredom and restlessness that remain even after months of sobriety. I am 34 years old and I have been taking some kind of opioid regularly since i was 16. So that is more than half my life, and it includes my entire adult life.

Of course you would be better off if you learned to live without suboxone, in case the opioid apocalypse comes. It could happen, right? Opioids were wiped out in China during 1949-1952 and as far as I know, never made a comeback so I guess it could happen here too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Honestly it's time. Your taper is extremely drastic. I understand the feeling of just wanting to stop this stuff, and have attempted to go cold turkey myself. But you have to understand how powerful suboxone is. This stuff is like glue on your receptors. Why do you think you can be on 10 bags of heroin and as soon as you take 2 mg of suboxone, you will go into immediate withdrawals. You have been on subs for 10 years, you need some time to wean yourself off to give yourself the best chance at staying off once you've stopped. I was at 4 mg about 5 months ago and like many of us on here, I made a commitment to cut down a little each week. I cut down about 25% of whatever dose 1 was taking every week or so. Now I am down to .25 (1/4 of one mg) per day and I am ready to stop soon. Please take your time, you have been on it for ten years, what is a few more months in the scheme of things?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:13 pm 

Very good points, Justin999!

Congratulations on your long, slow taper to .25mg. It takes patience, dedication, and commitment to taper so slowly and carefully. The great thing is that those same attributes will aid in your recovery without buprenorphine!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Amy. I've been on subs for a little over 2 years and am about to make the jump next week from .25 mg. I cannot seem to cut down anymore so I figured I might as well just stop now. I am pretty nervous to jump right now as I know the paws will last a while but better sooner than later in my position. Are you tapering as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:44 pm 

I am not. I was on 16mg when I started on suboxone in 2011. After about 6 months on suboxone I started tapering down to see if there seemed to be an optimal dose for me. I was also thinking that I might taper all the way off, but I have been very happy at my 3mg dose for a a few years. I tapered slowly and it was super easy! I know that the smaller the amount, the harder the taper. When or if I decide to go off my medication I will do it slower than molasses in January! :)

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I'm glad that 3 mg worksfor you. After about 2 years I noticed suboxone was not working for me anymore. I noticed it had an effect on my brain and especially my emotions. It's almost like I didn't feel anything anymore (excitement, anger etc). It is hard to wean from a smaller dose but being on such a low dose for such a long time (been on less than .5 mg for several months now). I am now noticing more and more that being on suboxone did affect me. Don't get me wrong, suboxone let me finish graduate school and do well at a great job and that never would've happened without subs, I am almost certain that I would still be an addict. But, I always thought that suboxone kept me "normal" and I would feel and think exactly the same if I were not taking anything at all, but that is not the case. In my opinion I think suboxone is a miracle pill to help you get off opiates and get yourself and your life ready for long term sobriety but I encourage you to get a plan and stick with it if you ever want to get off. I know myself and I have cut down only to increase or continue my dosage again for a long time and it has kept me on suboxone for longer than I would have liked to have been on. And yes, the key is to be slow and consistent but I just want to stress to you that it is easy to get complacent if you are not comitted and persistent. Good luck to you Amy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone original poster update!!!!

After 10 years I'm 5 days into halving my dose (I went from 4-5mg a day to 2mg) and so far so good!! I was good by the 3rd day! No more achiness by the third day or anything but even during the first 2 days it was still tolerable enough to go out and do stuff.

So now I'm on Day 5 of 2mgs and doing grand. If anyone is considering tapering you should always go slowly but if you think you have the ability to taper a decent amount upfront I really feel like doing that will make getting off the remaining easier as you've conditioned your body to take the hit. But again I'm not a doctor and everyone's body is different--I'm just letting you know my experience. I def recommend getting a pill organizer so you know what you have available for the day. I would cut my 8mg pill into four 2mg pieces and place each 2mg piece into each day--it DEF keeps you from going over the 2mg dose.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As far as Sub being another pair of handcuffs do not kid yourself it is another drug to get from the doctor and fill, another drug to make sure you have so you don't run out & get dope sick, another drug to spend money on, etc. I've had to cut out early on one too many family trips or skip going on vacations to certain countries either because I was running low on sub or the country I was visiting didn't allow it. So I don't see how you can't see it as another pair somewhat.

However it's still a WAY BETTER OPTION than Oxys or heroin!!! In fact if you're addicted to opiates go get sub NOW!!!!

I'm not saying this to scare you from trying it, It will change your life for the better but please don't stay on it longer than 2-3 years. It's not meant to be a crutch it's meant to transition you. Take it from someone who was on it for 10 years. I just halved my dose and I'm angry at myself for not doing it years ago. It really was just a crutch. Again this is my personal story and I'm here for anyone who needs longer or is conflicted, I get it, if this shit was easy to kick we wouldn't need this forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Itstime wrote:
Hey everyone original poster update!!!!

After 10 years I'm 5 days into halving my dose (I went from 4-5mg a day to 2mg) and so far so good!! I was good by the 3rd day! No more achiness by the third day or anything but even during the first 2 days it was still tolerable enough to go out and do stuff.

So now I'm on Day 5 of 2mgs and doing grand. If anyone is considering tapering you should always go slowly but if you think you have the ability to taper a decent amount upfront I really feel like doing that will make getting off the remaining easier as you've conditioned your body to take the hit. But again I'm not a doctor and everyone's body is different--I'm just letting you know my experience. I def recommend getting a pill organizer so you know what you have available for the day. I would cut my 8mg pill into four 2mg pieces and place each 2mg piece into each day--it DEF keeps you from going over the 2mg dose.

Wow congratulations on dropping from 4-5mg to 2mg per day. I'm really happy for you! I however, was not so lucky. I tried dropping from 5 to 4.5 & had all sorts of problems. I believe that I found my exact ceiling - 5mg. Not to be deterred, I started alternating from 5 to 4.5 every day for about 2 weeks. That went well. So I then went to dosing 5 then 4.5 for 2 days, again for several weeks. All was well. Now I'm doing 5 then 4.5 for 3 days. I think this is how it's going to go for me. I expect it to take a month & a half to drop from 5 to 4.5. I also use a 7 day pill organizer. That way I only have to really "think" about it once per week.

Everyone is different so I'm going to continue to do this for as long as it continues to work. Best of luck to you! I hope you continue with such wonderful success.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Deekay your very smart in observing that your exact ceiling effect may be at 5 mg. I always assumed mine to be in that range. To the original poster of this thread, I wish you the best of luck......