It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:53 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My name is Chris - I am an addict

I have been on 8mg of suboxone for about 6 weeks. The past 2 days I only took 4mg.
Tomorrow I plan on trying to quit cold turkey. I have read so much online about slow tapers I just feel like it's crap.. I have read stories of people on 16mg of suboxone for multiple of years and just stop cold turkey one day and within 11 day they felt mild to no withdrawals. I am currently unemployed and I start school in a month. I figured right now is the perfect time to try this. I also attend NA meetings and have a sponsor, everyone in my support group suggests I get off subs. I really really want to be free from ALL mood/mind a alternating substances. I am not clean right now, I just traded one addiction for another. The only difference is that I am getting this legally.

If this method becomes too much I have plenty of suboxone to try a different method.

Tomorrow is christmas eve.
The greatest gift I could give myself this year is being clean and sober.
I am tired of needing to take something to feel "normal"

I will write updates daily in this thread to let you know how I am doing (if anyone is interested)

Please no negative comments, respect only!
Thank you.

Peace & love :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:08 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome Chris..
Heres hopeing for a great new year for.you. I wish for you for a wonerful xmas too.
Hang on to your new friends in N A. They will help you get though this if you truely believe it is time for this.
You gota want it more than anything. It cant be done by anyone but you!
ive learned in my 3 years here and in NA that recovery, my rexovery, is mine. I also understand just how powerful opiate addiction is. Keep an opened mind and do what is best for you . Hats off to you, and best of luck to you. . Others should soon come loug to help....razor 55..3 years clean enough @4mgs aday....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:49 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi,
How are you doing, hope you are ok. Was looking forward to your updates. Hope you check in.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:45 pm 

I have a feeling that the unrealistic expectations suggested to the OP by his NA friends didn't work out for him. I'm talking specifically about ideas like this:

"I have read so much online about slow tapers I just feel like it's crap."

"I have read stories of people on 16mg of suboxone for multiple of years and just stop cold turkey one day and within 11 day they felt mild to no withdrawals."

"I also attend NA meetings and have a sponsor, everyone in my support group suggests I get off subs. I really really want to be free from ALL mood/mind a alternating substances. I am not clean right now, I just traded one addiction for another."

Very NA statements.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:42 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

So here how ive seen it go : Newbie on subs gos to meeting.
Meeting people say not clean.
Newbie wants to be a part of.
Newbies want to e "REALLY" CLEAN.
More times than not, newbie is made to feel ahame or not clean enough. It is sad to see it happen dlr i have see it many times.
Im older, na is full of younger addicts who would never call me out. But to have anybody tell anyone to go off this med just not willing to accept...
I do hope the op can make it though tbe "pink cloud" stage and come out the other end clean enough, i really do...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got some weird reactions when I was first going to meetings and was new on sub around 4 years ago. I didn't share about it but at coffee I mentioned it and in the same paragraph a guy said he didn't know what it was but sounds like I should get off. LOL. This was AA btw not NA.  Luckily I had a pretty down to earth sponsor who was sober a long time and said if it's prescribed by a dr. & you follow the prescription and are 100% honest with yourself (i.e. are you feeling high, abusing the med. etc) then you're good.  He always said 'progress not perfection', I'm into that.  Anyway, I kept the sub to myself and sponsor from then on. Plus what do you know it's almost 4 years now I since I had a drink.

I wanted to just post in here for people considering tapering and jumping: I have been tapering from 8mg down to .09mg over time and have had no bad issues.  A few times I went too fast for my body and had trouble sleeping so I just dialed it back for a bit.  The key for me is not being in a rush, it has taken a long time but I would rather that than go thru bad w/d symptoms.  I will probably taper down as low as possible and 'walk off' there's been more than a few here who reported doing that.  I want that more than the label of 'being off everything'.   Also I didn't start tapering until I knew I was ready which was about 2.5 into my treatment.  I think it's important to take advantage of 'feeling normal' on sub to make some changes in your life.