It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

what would YOU moderate in this section???
language 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
personal attacks 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
I'd moderate if a member complained 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Nothing, I would never moderate here 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
Im not sure 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:51 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey everybody,, Hope your all well and good and all that happy stuff!!!

Since there has been a recent topic, that's got some controversial "issues"

Im asking YOU GUYS, now..................

What do YOU THINK should be moderated, if ANYTHING, in the freestyle section????

If you think it should NEVER be moderated, please say why and how we can make sure we don't "scare" off anyone.

what about someone just being downright MEAN, hatefull, angry,
name-calling for instance and personal attacks?
and PLEASE be sure and look at it from the angle of the person BEING ATTACKED,,,,,,,, otherwise you haven't thought it through.

For me,, it's fairly "black and white" that it states UNmoderated by the title.......
I've stayed out of things, thus far,,, ,,,,, becuz of that.............
if I did think something was taken too far, I'd definitely say something,, I dont like '"bullys" period ,,, especially ones that hide behind a computer screen. that's the ONE thing I'd "moderate" if I saw it happening.

there's been one or two instances, where I've been in the "thick of it"
per say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL
and I just TRY and explain myself as best as possible, and that Im NOT a perfect person, ETC ETC
it usually blows over afterwards....................

WELL
that's all I've got,
It IS THE MEMBERS after all ,,, that wanted a freestyle section,, and I know it was to "share REAL opinions" about issues, and things like that, that's all fine and dandy.
but like someone else said,,, (I forgot who!) we ARE Kind of like a FAMILY here, and even the BEST families FIGHT/argue once in
awhile,,,, it keeps things interesting,,,,,, :wink:

Thanks, in advance for your opinions,,,,
I really DO want to know, what you think about this subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feel free to let loose,,
Just NO personal attacks,
OH
and NO TROLLS!! my OTHER pet peeve!!!

goodnight :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If the freestyle section is going to be un-moderated, then it should be un-moderated.....period.

ReRaise (I think?) already came up with some great suggestions on how to minimize "collateral" damage. It should be a members only area. It should only be open to people who have been members for a month or so or who have a certain number of posts to their name. It should have a warning in the title section that says something to the effect of, "this area is unmoderated, that means things may get ugly."

As far as personal attacks in this section.....if someone were attacking me personally, I would quietly let myself out the back door and not encourage further attacks by continuing the arguement.

In the RFID thread, a new member kept on and kept on defending their position and THAT is why things went the way they did. Also, had the 2nd and 3rd rule that ReRaise suggested been in place, that new member wouldn't have had access to that section and he hopefully would have read the warning and not posted in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]God I hate agreeing with Romeo...teehee :lol: .....but I do.
Of course I read that whole thread. I read everything on here. But I made a decision
to keep all drama out of my life, and so far, I'm loving my life like this!!! LOL!
Romeo is dead on with what happened. And honestly, he was never PERSONALLY
attacked. Noone called him a raging asshole or anything like that. And he is a big boy,
he could defend himself if he felt the need to.
I noticed that he reached out for help in a separate thread AFTER all of that BS, and I don't
think he would have done that if he was afraid of us, or felt that he was attacked by us, or
whatever some people are claiming happened to him.

I'm with you Amber, I have zero tolerance for a bully! NONE! But that just hasn't happened here.
I'm not saying that it couldn't though.

Now, as far as certain members pushing their limits just to see what the mods will do,
we all know that's exactly what teejay was doing....he said so himself. LOL
Unfortunately, that is going to happen from time to time.

This is JUST A FORUM. It's not a place where people come to be controlled. It is not a place
where people come to be warned, and banned, (well some do LOL), and treated like we are
children. We are grown men and women. And like reraise said, we are sick. Some of us
sicker than others. Not to mention, we are all at different places in our recovery programs.
So yes, some of the members are going to be nasitier than others. Some are
going to be passive aggressive, some are going to be aggressive, and some are going to flat out
back out. We are all different. We are all unique. We are like a family here...like Lily said.
We are going to disagree, fight, and sometimes say things that we don't mean.
But by God, we are also going to defend the people we care about most, when push
comes to shove.

Which brings me to this next point.....
Rule, I know what you are saying. I understand EXACTLY where you were coming from. It does kind of
read a little different with that big ol' MODERATOR heading, over your name. But honestly. I don't think that
anyone was coming after YOU as a person, or member. You are right. They were addressing you as a mod,
when you clearly stated, that you were posting as a member. I get it.
If you need a break...take it. Your health is way too important, for something like a forum, to stress you out.
I want you to know, that I think you will be missed. I know I will anyway. I think that you are a good mod,
a fair person, and I love ya!!!!!
So whatever you decide to do, I'm behind you. Just come back!!! LOL!!! Its just a forum. I love this forum.
Anyone who knows me, knows how important it is for me, and my recovery. You and I talk, and you know
this. But I would NEVER let it affect me to that point. I did ONCE. Never again.

So, That is my two cents.....hey...who decided that opinions are only worth two cents anyway???......
Whatever happens.....happens.....but a FREEstyle UNmoderated section, should be just that. FREE and
UNMODERATED. Take Care~[/font]

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Mostly said
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I as well as other have shared our concern with who should have access to the FreeStyle section. On a forum like this where we know new people (just as I did before I started suboxone) may get scared off if they enter the FreeStyle section. That is why I believe it should be limited to certain members or given a PIN number or at least a WARNING-ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK...

I have seen MOD's come and go over the last 4 yrs. Some have had thick skins others take things too personal. That is why I would not go into politics.........I couldn't deal with all the negative post......so for Rule no one wants you not to be a Moderator just know it comes with the job..and you shouldn't take it personal. We all need a place to blow off steam and the fact that Dr J even considered having a section we could do this tells us that we sometimes need to just let loose and share the BS without anyone taking it personal. Whatever is decided I will follow the rules as this is part of my recovery. Again we are sick........and I am a sick sarcastic SOB.........sometimes and would love a section where I could throw out my cruel sense of humor without being penalized.........still doesn't mean I am not sick......I love this forum and will respect whatever is decided........but I don't have to like it..........

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Honestly,, nothing that I KNOW OF is being "decided"

I was just asking, to see what other members thought, what they would moderate themselves (or not)

There seems to be SOME confusion, becuz of the post anouncing "freestyle"
is a bit different, has a certain "idea" of how it should be used/whats posted, AND what it says, right below the
"header" FREESTYLE

In my opinion, what's under the heading COUNTS,, and Im definitely not "imune" to getting upset, its happened,, LOL

However, It's not very "nice'' to post mean or hateful things, ANYWHERE really. Im not saying anyone's done that,
just talking here :wink:

Rule is a good moderator, and he brings a different perspective to the board, which is great, thats why we have
different moderators..........

I've not done much,, in the freestyle section,becuz of what it says under the heading,, section title.
until that changes, I probably won't...
unless, like I said ^^^^^
there's a big bully around or something.

we ARE like a family, we WILL argue,,,, maybe it brings out the "best" in us, all,, in the END.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, I do appreciate it.

And,, keep posting them, if anyone else has anything they want to add,
or if there's something YOU think
is "over the line"

it would actually be GOOD TO KNOW,,,,
I won't know to address it, if I don't know.

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule's a balanced fair moderator. If he's made mistakes they seem to be human errors. Overall forum admin seems pretty good at the moment. Things are pretty transparent, and there hasn't been any decisions of questionable motive or abuses of power like I witnessed once-upon-a-time.

At the same time, things can always improve no matter what you're talking about. The Freestyle debacle has come from a forum being sold as un-moderated, while in the same sentence it advises members to "keep it clean". That's just asking for confusion!!!

I pushed the boundaries because I couldn't live with the ambiguity, and now I'm aware that this forum is sanitized pretty much the same as any other forum. BUT that being said, I didn't receive a warning for what I did whilst I know that if I did it in another forum I woulda gotten a warning of some sort. I'm unsure if anyone's received a warning from content in Freestyle.

Is that what Freestyle will be? The place you can say what you wanna say ... it may be censored, but you won't get your ass kicked for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and only have a few posts under my belt so I'm not sure how much my opinion will mean or be taken seriously but I wanted to give the perspective of a new member.

Unmoderated should mean just that; even at the risk of some posts possibly offending others. I can't imagine anything being posted in Freestyle that would have offended me so much it took away from all the great information, encouragement and support the entire forum offers.

When I first found Suboxforum I spent, and still spend, hours reading through the individual forums and older posts. I know that there have been problems on here with trolls and Subhaters who have used the forum to screw with people or push their agenda. Posters like that will easily "out" themselves elsewhere in the forum with or without an unmoderated area. It's nice to have one area where people can blow off steam.

If there is concern that lurkers may read something in here that is so offensive they will not become members and reach out to others on here for support then perhaps making the Freestyle forum only visible to logged on members would be a way of assuring that did not happen. A simple warning at the top of the page that this is an unmoderated forum, enter at ones own risk, should also be sufficient.

Just my two cents as a newbie