It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I put this here b/c it can help people who are trying to stop suboxone, some things to work on mentally
But if it should go somewhere else then move it

There are so many factors of why stopping subs/opiates is hard. Everyone is different. But this article has quite a bit of info on why some people's brains are simply hard-wired for addiction based on the development of their brains. Of course it is one theory of many of addicts' brains. And it is impossible to find out if this is the case for any of you. But whether it is the reason for addiction or not, the article offers some good info on tactics one would work on with their personality to ensure in a successful treatment to get opiate-free. It's really long and I've only looked at a fraction of it but it is pretty much in easy-to-read language. For people like me who don't have things like counseling or groups, and have to learn the coping strategies on one's own, it's a good article.

Link to article

I didn't just choose a random article to share with you guys. I've been looking at lots of articles through my school's article databases that otherwise I would not have access to.

And no my name is not Patricia Norton lol

But there are lots of Patricia Nortons on Facebook lol i am not any of them I assure you
I got the name from my security software hahaha

Anyways, the article is about how a main personality characteristic found in people that are successful in opiate treatment (successful means able to abstain from opiates for 10 years) is Resilience. It is the person's ability to bounce back after bad things. The article explains how people in opiate treatment can learn to be resilient. It offers something like 10 characteristics to work on to make you resilient. Things like, motivation, self confidence, the trust that you have in yourself to change your life, ability to control your thoughts, etc.

The study also looks at how people that are resilient got to be resilient in the first place. They said people who are not resilient usually are not because they probably never learned how to be resilient when they were younger. They said the main reason is usually when the mother (OK I don't want to go all Freud on your ass -- this is the hippy dippy part-- shield yours eyes lol) does not teach the child how to be resilient. For example, the way that child learns how to put himself to sleep, is that they learn from the way their mom puts them to sleep. If the mom never soothed the baby to sleep, the baby will not learn how to sooth themselves to sleep in the future. But of course this goes for tons of things other than sleep.

Also kids who have over-protective parents who never tell them about anything bad that happens ever will be more likely not be be resilient. If they don't learn about death until they are 10, they will have a hard time dealing with it because their brains have developed more emotions. If you learn what death is when you are younger, your brain can react physically/mentally without dealing about too much emotional overload because the brain has not developed very complex emotions yet. If you don't learn about death until you are older, your brain has many more complex emotions that it has to learn how to organize and maintain, and reacting becomes something much harder to figure out.

Just somethin to think about. The article does a much better of explaining it than I did.