It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Article About Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:56 pm 

I think this is a fairly good read and also very reassuring that progress is being made with our out of control opiate addicted society.

Addiction Professional

Rule

Post subject: good article
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Rule, good article. I can't imagine first contact with the patient when they come in for their initial evaluation already in withdrawal. Perhaps with the prescreening they know that they will be induced as soon as they complete the UA, Lab, and physcial. I like to meet, greet, screen, when they are at their best, not worst. Give them resourses to study, then come back for induction if they agree with our protocol. PAX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've tried both approaches over the years. For the heroin-addicted population, having them present 'not in withdrawal' means having them come in within hours of shooting. If you do that, and then tell them to come back in withdrawal, some wont make it back at all, due to loss of interest, inability to GET in withdrawal..... Or worse.

Many opioid-addicted people find it very difficult to make ONE appointment to start buprenorphine; Two visits is simply beyond some people, during active using.

I have decided that the best solution for my practice is to provide info in advance, by phone, email, my blog, or the forum, then have people come in and be induced the FIRST time. Most people find that to be more humane. I also am not comfortable meeting with an actively using addict, and sending that person home with nothing except instructions to come back in a few days. If they die, and some will, I know that starting buprenorphine earlier would have saved them.

Some docs see people twice, charging BOTH TIMES; Pretty lame thing to do, in my opinion.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good article Rule,

I wish I had access to this when I first started treatment to show my husband. I think it would have helped alleviate some misunderstandings...as it is I believe I will email it to him tonight.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

suboxdoc wrote:

I have decided that the best solution for my practice is to provide info in advance, by phone, email, my blog, or the forum, then have people come in and be induced the FIRST time. Most people find that to be more humane. I also am not comfortable meeting with an actively using addict, and sending that person home with nothing except instructions to come back in a few days. If they die, and some will, I know that starting buprenorphine earlier would have saved them.

Some docs see people twice, charging BOTH TIMES; Pretty lame thing to do, in my opinion.

this is how my dr. does it as well....
he actually has the "new patient" that calls up, give a phone number, then picks one of "us" that's signed up as a 'big brother/sister' and we call the "new" patient, tell them what to expect, what to do, etc.
give them the $50 off coupon, I've even given a couple people a ride down to the clinic and to pharmacy, etc.

anyways,
wish more dr.s were like this......

qhorsegal2
I wish I had access to this when I first started treatment to show my husband. I think it would have helped alleviate some misunderstandings.

YES, EXACTLY....
I actually (once I got a computer) printed off a bunch of info from naabt.org and gave it to my hubby and family...it REALLY Helped them understand that I was NOT just "trading one for another"

and they also have a FREE information brochure you can 'order' and you get in the mail within a week or so,
that was/is a GREAT thing to have around....

the pretty colored pics help show even the 'haters' how bupe hits the receptors...
:wink: :wink: :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

lol this is the rehab i go to. pretty incredable that i stumbled into this article

Post subject: Cost
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:25 pm 

Hey Rob,

What the article didn't say was how much it cost to go through their treatment program. My insurance would only pay 50% so I'd be liable for the rest. That may, or may not have been an issue in choosing their facility.

Lucky for me I found a good doctor and his wife, the nurse. She spoke with me for almost two hours before I decided to take her advice and make an appt. And yes, I was in moderate withdrawals when I walked through the door. 3 hours later after a trip to the pharmacy to pick up the medication, I was induced.

So how is the program working out for you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yes this program is very expensive, but im one of the fourtante ones whos' insurance pays for 100% of treatment cost. the first time i went through the program about a year ago i still had some major reservations i guess you would say, and i soon figured out after treatment that doing it by myself doesnt turn out so good. a hard lesson to learn. but I find this time around in the program it is very helpful, espiecally since i beleive and know and accept that i have the disease of additction.
i do know that i didnt go a hole 24 hours without using before going there but like you the w/d process was starting for me as well so luckily i didnt get the precipitated w/d.. ive had those beofre one time, and that is something that i never want to experiance again