It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Is everyone here paying cash for dr?

I did get some of your reco's for places, and thank you for that. Waiting on call backs, but here's the dilema...docs dont take ins? I call the ones on my ins list but yhey say not for subox...they cant really be a provider, but then not be one just for sub ppl can they? Seems illegal....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I did. It was ok for me though because my insurance covered most of the meds (they made me do a little legwork a few times), which is what's really the expensive part. I was spending a ton on my DOC so I still came out way ahead. I paid $100 per month for the dr but I think others have said if you shop around you can get it cheaper. I didn't shop around at all. Prolly should have but I was comfortable with my dr and just glad to be on the road to recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor doesnt accept insurance either. I never understood that. I pay $100 a month to see my Doctor.

Thank God though, my Suboxone is covered, I know that those are through the roof expensive.

But I still think I'm getting off cheaper then when I was buying pills off the street.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

HELLO :P :P :P

I pay cash for my doctor appointments, and my suboxone. I have no insurance, my husband makes too much money for us to get any state/govt assistance. And his company, cut benefits about six months ago. He's trying to find something with benefits, but he's always away from home, working. :cry:

I worry about my son. Like if something happens.
And Im really glad to be ABLE to buy suboxone, happy I gave up my very expensive habit.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I also have to pay cash for my dr. appts. It sucks, but it's WAY CHEAPER on me than buying my pills off the street. The 1st visit was $400, now I pay $100 a month. I am very, very lucky like some other people have said, my insurance does pay for my prescription and with the sub card for $50 off the co-pay, my meds are free till the end of the year. Last time I picked up my script it says, "you saved $507.69 with insurance." I don't know how we'd pay for the appt. and the meds without our ins so I am thankful for that! It would STILL be cheaper for us though than buying pills every week for me. I don't understand either why almost every sub doc is cash only, but it is what it is and I'm still thankful that I am on the suboxone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been very lucky. I've been on sub for over 3.5 years and have had two sub docs in that time. Both of them took my regular insurance and all I paid was my office visit copay. I never had to look around or call a bunch of different doctors. It just worked out that way.

I do recognize how fortunate I've been, believe me. I wish other people were as fortunate and were able to obtain treatment as easily as I have. No one should have trouble getting this treatment due to an inability to pay. That's the problem with our for-profit health care system.

Those of you above who said you pay $100 a month for your doc...In comparison to what I've heard other people say they pay, that amount isn't too bad. It's sad, because too many people end up stopping their sub treatment due to lack of finances.

For those of you w/o insurance, remember to ask your doctor about any open slots s/he may have in the Patient Assistance Program. It's for uninsured patients who qualify financially. If approved, meds are paid for a full year. Doctors are also encouraged to offer a break on their rates as well, but I don't know if any of them actually do that.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I found out from insur company that they cant tell ur employer, that was another post...AND you can submit your Dr recpts for reimburse up to what they would have paid the Dr had he/she accepted it. Thats a bit of relief. My dr visits and scripts were always covered for the pain guy. I did, on occasion, buy off people...so expensive too. I would say its not really a financial motivation to get off this crap, its the mental motivation---meaning for me, I am just sick of the ups/downs, those little pills being my constant thought all day, every day. Consuming my life! And really at this point just not liking this person I am being on them. I got a reply from the naabt website...after second try....I widened my area of travel and wrote in the comments section that I needed an insur Dr. (someone here told me to do this)- last night I finally got a reply!!! So I am calling today...I hope, I hope, I hope that this is the one! Finding treatment has been a FT job. I know its going to be worth it. Thanks for all your replies. It really puts it all into prospective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Great that you got a reply! I forgot to mention that i found my current doc (who is also now my family doctor) on NAABT as well. It worked out well for 3 years (now we're having issues, but it's unrelated to my sub treatment). Let us know how it goes when you speak to the doctor. I'm looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Good Hunting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:43 pm 

I commend your commitment to calling every single doctor around to find one who accepts insurance. To answer your question whether it's legal or not, I too went ballistic in the beginning wondering how a BCBS PPO doctor could charge cash and not process insurance. The insurance company did their thing and said it was legal due to some clause about it taking too much of their time that they are allowed an exception. At least I tried as you have done too.

Don't give up, keep calling and some day you might just find one. In the meantime just submit the claim and you'll get some money back.

It is a messed up system, but it is all we have until they change the system to treat more addicts.

Rule