It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was surprised when i went to the pharmacy on monday and after they filled my script they told me they dont carry the pills anymore and they gave me the film. i had never heard of the film before that. My doc didnt say anything about it when i saw her and she didnt write my prescription for the film, it was for the tabs. anyway i was just confused that they could just fill my script before telling me this, and that they could do it since it was not written for the film. but long story short it scared me that my doc didnt say anything so i asked them to reverse it so i could get it filled somewhere else that had the tabs. i was just wondering if anyone knows if they are going to stop making the tablets completely and just use the film. Im just worried about this bc im doing so well and i dont want anything to change. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Isn't this just par for the course? A few days ago I read a posting here about someone who wanted to get their script filled with film rather than tabs and the pharmacy pitched a fit and claimed they could not do that without written permission from the prescribing physician. Now, we see where a pharmacy just goes and willy nilly swaps the Bup order from tabs to film without either the doctor or the patient being asked or being made aware.

Film is the new big deal within Suboxone these days. All of the Internet boards seem to be buzzing about it, you can get coupons for $75 off, blah, blah, blah. However, I have seen absolutely no indication that tabs are being discontinued. I can't comment on what you ran into with your pharmacy but if I had to guess I'd bet it was a small "mom and pop" type place that is sort of bending the rules. I think you certainly did the right thing by refusing the substitution and getting what it is that YOU WANT. If you want film - great, then get it. If you want tabs - great, then get tabs. You really should not have much problem obtaining either one.

However, what the local pharmacy might decide to do could be anyone's guess. There are so many blogs out there like "The Angry Pharmacist" who bitch and moan about patients but from what I can see, there is just as high of a percentage of goofy pharmacists as there are goofy patients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:47 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you for that. I've been wondering the same thing. The last time I went to my doctor I was asked if I wanted to try the film, and I didn't because I was scared. Like you, I've been doing so well on the pills that I was afraid to change. Honestly, I don't know what to do. But anyway, thanks for your comments.

~Rossma

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you donh, youve put my mind at ease. And I was using a little mom and pop pharmacy bc they were nice and nonjudgemental like most of the pharmacists ive used, but im having to go to cvs now. I just think that they should of told me before filling my prescription and running it through the insurance. I also dont understand people saying the film is cheaper, bc I pay $30 a month with my insurance for the tabs and the film was going to cost $60. But that could just be my insurance. I would be willing to try the film if I could try a days worth incase i didnt like it, but I would have to get my enire months script filled as the film and that just worries me, well im just venting now, Thanks for your replies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

From what I have read, the Suboxone tabs and the Suboxone film are supposed to sell for the same price. The reason it will be cheaper is for six months the manufacturer is providing $75 off coupons that you can use (one per month) on the strips only. That wipes out many people's co-pay. Your insurance might be doing something different with the level or tier they have each of the drugs on and one is a higher co-pay than the other. Either way, with the $75 coupon (which you can find all over the Internet) you'll pay zero. That seems to be the driving motivator for people going to the strips.

As for giving it a try, there are placebo test strips available. I'm not sure how you would go about obtaining one of those but you could start by asking your doctor, your pharmacist or trying the company. It is supposed to be the same strip just without any active ingredients. That way you can tell what it is like. Obviously, without any Bup in it, you won't be able to "feel" any effects from it - only experience the sensation and taste of the strips. The other way to go would be to ask your pharmacy if you can get a partial refill of just a couple of trips to try and then come back for the balance of your prescription for either the tabs or strips after you decide. They very well may allow you to do this.

Nothing wrong with the old mom and pop places but sometimes they sort of do make up their own rules - which is why I guessed that was the source in this case.

Hope all of this helps.