It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:40 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i was on methadone for 5 years and 25 days ago went into a 5 day detox. After getting out I started my suboxone. The day I started my suboxone I felt normal, but in addition, I also felt BETTER both mood wise and phisically than I had felt in the past 5 years. I am currently perscribed 12mg/day of Sub and have only been taking 6mg and feel fine.

My question is this, I plan on tapering further in the next month and ultimatley quitting all together inside of 2 months. My worrietts do not lie in phisical WD as I know that is going to be a factor and something I will have to deal with no matter what. But, I am more so concerned with my mental state and how that will be affected. After getting off the methadone and being on the sub, I have been more motivated and more emotionally in tune that I have for the past 5 years. I know everyone is different, but I guess Im trying to figure out if these feelings/emotions/improvements are a result of the Sub and will all go away after I stop the sub, or are they my real/natural feelings etc. coming back??

Any input or advice is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:53 pm 
Hey 1wickd6!!

How long have you been taking the suboxone? Honestly, if you havent been taking suboxone very long, its likely your feeling these positive feelings due to the suboxone taking you away from all the misery and also some of your natural emotions coming back. Im in my 19th month now with suboxone/subutex and i wouldnt be where im at without it. I believe it works very well for a long term treatment. However, the statistics for short term suboxone treatment arent very good. Im not sure the percentage but relapse rate is pretty high for people who use suboxone short term. I think more details to your situation would help us answer all of your questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for the quick reply lifesaver, I really appreciate it!

My use of opiastes/suboxone go something like this...

Used pills (percs, vicodin, oxy, etc) for 2 years pretty heavy. switched to methadone (long story why I did) and was on it 100+mgs for nearly 5 years. Just recently, less than a month ago, I decided I had had enough of the "liquid hand cuffs" and went into a 5 day rehab. In the rehab they gave me subutex to control my wd's. After 5 days of taking 8mg of subutex in the rehab, I got out and switched to suboxone and was prescribed 12mg/day. I have only been taking 6mg/day of the suboxone.

To answer your question, I took my last dose of methadone 27 days ago and have been on subutex for 5 of the initial days and 6mg of suboxone for the past 22 days.

I am due to be off of the suboxone in about 10 days and was mainly concerned with how my emotions/brain chemistry will react. My concern is that the suboxone has been masking the emotional side of the wd's and my depression. Im worried that stopping a week or so from now will result in a deep depression and emotional termoil.

So, I guess what Im really after question and answer wise is, does suboxone treat the emotional side of the wd's as well as the phisical part? Like I said in my original post, I am very optomistic now and fairly motivated since being off the methadone and on the sub and am desperatley hoping that those positive feelings wont go away after stopping the sub. Just not sure if these "good" emotions and optimistic mind state are a result of the sub, or a result of me being off the methadone...

I know my thoughts are all over the place, so I apologize if my reply didnt/doesnt make much sense, lol.

Thanks again for the reply!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey 1wickd6, welcome to the forum...

The short answer to your question regarding 'does suboxone treat the mental as well as physical side of withdrawal" is yes, it does. It did for me anyway and I think that is true for the majority of us. Now, does that mean all your positive feelings are a result of sub, I don't necessarily think that's the case either.

That's quite a few years of addicition you had under your belt to hope they're all going to subside in a few months. I do not mean to be harsh, only 100% honest. Is there any way you can stay on suboxone for a while longer. It usually takes time for the brain to exit active addiction and be OK with normal life again, not saying you can't go the route you are intending. I'm sure there have been plenty who have been successful doing what you plan, but I would like to see if you could stay on sub for at least a little while longer. I think it would be easier on you in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

1wickd6,

Hi. I am day 9 on sub after being on 75mg methadone for almost 3 years. My transition has been pretty smooth.
I am curious as to why you are "due off suboxone in about 10 days"? Is it a financial issue? You dr.?

I agree with lifesaver and that is short term sub use is associated with high relapse rates. i would encourage you to talk to your dr and stay on for at least 4 months if not longer. You do have a long hx of opiate use and methadone use.

Also, suboxone has been known to help with depression, although it is not yet prescribed for it, that I know of. so, you could be getting some treatment for your depression as well as your opiate addiction.
I know my moods were very blunted on methadone. Especially when I went to 75mg. At 50mg I was ok, but higher for me shut me down. I was also kinda angry, too, and that isn't really like me. So, now on sub I feel normal, back to myself with joy and happiness, more motivation and energy....all around back to my "normal" self. Maybe it can be contributed to the sub and of course the excitement of actually having made this decision, but I also know me and I am back.

Hope this helps and let us know what happens.
Chinagirl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think anyone can give you a clear answer. It could be a combination of suboxone's antidepressant properties, plus your "normal" feelings coming back. It's my opinion that you should expect some up and downs with your mood over the next several weeks or even months. Even with being on suboxone, my first few months after stopping my DOC I was on an emotional roller coaster just from having to experience my real feelings again. That in and of itself is a huge transition.

So it's really hard to say how you will feel when you stop the suboxone. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. I wish you the very best. Please hang around and let us know how you are doing. Maybe we can help you get through all this.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 am 
I think im gonna have to agree with what hat said about having all the real emotions coming back in the beginning even with suboxone. Suboxone doesnt mask your feelings and emotions. It simply allows you to feel normal and get your life in order. I must agree with Romeo in saying that is quite a bit of time using to just all the sudden be "well" withing a few months. Thats why suboxone works so much better longterm. Even in my 7th month i felt great but i could tell my way of thinking was still very toxic. Theirs much more to it than just feeling normal and what i mean is, i felt normal pretty much within a few days of taking it but, my way of thinking took much much longer to change. Its your way of thinking thats gonna possibly get you into trouble, at least thats how i felt. With longterm treatment, your able to feel normal all the while your brain is doing some significant healing. You will start to not only feel normal as you already described but, that addict way of thinking will be put to rest after a certain period of time. I know for me, i feel normal to the point that i sometimes forget i ever had a problem. All i mean is, suboxone/subutex has worked so well for me. It has literally brought out the person i am supposed to be. So with all that said, i really wish you well and keeps us updated!! Hope everyone has a great day!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would urge anyone who is considering suboxone treatment for such a short duration to reconsider. The relapse rates for patients who are treated with bupe for less than a year are very high compared to those who are treated for a year or more, you can find links to some of the studies on Dr. Junig's blog, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

You should have worked on the mental side of your addiction while you were on methadone for 5 years. If you still feel you can't trust yourself, or your surroundings haven't changed, then you should try to stay on Sub for a little longer. But, if you have stayed clean for all this time and made a treatment plan after you detox, then I don't see why you should stay on Sub any longer than you feel necessary.
I am in the same boat as you are right now. Five years clean on methadone also, where I got a sponsor. I see a psychologist and psychichrist, and lost all drug-abusing "friends" and made a couple new, drug-free friends. It's not easy to find sober people out there, but they are out there. Or maybe it's stress that gets you thinking of using. Who knows. Somehow you have to clean your head of the old ways of thinking and learn new coping skills. Plus have a very supportive foundation.
I detoxed down to 32mg's of methadone before swiching to Suboxone. My dr. started me on 24mg's of Sub, and in one month I have dropped down to 6mg's a day w/out any w/drawals. You can't just take Suboxone or methadone and expect miracles if you don't put in work yourself to deal with whatever problems you have that made you pick up in the first place. If you don't, then your chances of relapse are real high. But to be quite honest, if you don't work on the mental problems, it doesn't matter how long you stay on any med, (unless it's forever), or how long you take to detox off it, you still have a real high chance of relapse and are still setting yourself up to fail. The physical part, (detoxing) is the easy part. It's the mental side of things, where you have to take an honest look in the mirror, and be honest with yourself about the real problem(s) in your life, that is the real hard part.
For your sake, I hope you have some sort of treatment plan after you detox, whenever that may be. Good luck and Merry X-mas.