It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Still trying to wrap my mind around this ceiling effect and how it works to control my chronic back/spine pain in such an amazing way. I don't know how it has done it, but it practically wiped out all of my pain that I've suffered with for years now. Pain morphine and hydro's couldn't hardly touch.

I was just wondering if there were other meds out there that too have a ceiling effect? I had never heard of the "ceiling effect" until I started using and reading up on Suboxone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

blackberrybunny wrote:
<snip>

I was just wondering if there were other meds out there that too have a ceiling effect? I had never heard of the "ceiling effect" until I started using and reading up on Suboxone.

Yes- there are, apparently.
According to a medscape article that I have found on this subject:
"The analgesic ceiling effect of a drug refers to the dose beyond which there is no additional analgesic effect. Higher doses do not provide any additional pain relief but may increase the likelihood of side effects as well as the cost of treatment. This concept, often disregarded in the treatment of pain in the emergency department (ED), should be carefully considered when using common analgesics such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and opioids."

Here is the link:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/574279

Hope this helps you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for that link! I had to register for a new free account, but that was fine. Thanks for your help, in finding this article. ;-)

I am surprised to learn that acetaminophen is 1000mg. Aren't there 500mg of Tylenol in a 10mg Lortab? So taking 2 lortabs at one time reaches the ceiling effect; And i was taking 7, 8 a day? That's a lot more than the ceiling effect, and all of that tylenol goes to my liver, killing it. I'm so glad to be off of that sh*t! It was the codeine I was after in those lortabs. Wow. Thanks for providing me with this article.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey bunny, it is 1000mg per dose of tylenol, but tylenol only works around 4 hours. When I was on percs my Dr. Said you can have up to 4,000mg a day of tylenol. So you were in the safe zone taking 7-8 lortabs a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Phew, thanks, Breezy Ann, I feel a little better knowing that. I was worried about my liver, although my doctor always said my liver enzymes were fine. But then I think of how many I took every day, and for how many years, do the math, and OMG, it was a LOT! Even if it was a safe amount, I still feel like I'm lucky no damage was done. ;0)