It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Currently, the Johnson County jail in New Century, Kansas (AKA the Gardner jail) does not give an inmate certain prescription medications. Apparently, they have a list of medications the jail will not dispense: Methadone, buprenorphine, opiates of any kind, benzodiazepines, and probably other drugs that could possibly get someone high. I understand, however, that the policy is modified if the inmate is a pregnant female. I have not been able to get a written list of medications nor a written policy.
The rational expressed by the medical staff of the jail is that they have the authority to ignore the order of a doctor outside the jail because their doctor supervisor in the jail gives the orders for inmates in their care.

It is cruel and unusual punishment prohibited by the Eight Amendment to unnecessarily force an inmate to become ill. And depriving legally-prescribed medication in the case of someone dependent on that medication is unnecessarily cruel.
I plan on legally challenging this policy with a motion in a low-level case, and I need some info about other jails. As many of you know, the Johnson Co. Jail is not the only one with this policy.

I'm now trying to find the names of jails that have a more liberal policy, that is, the ones that DO give a prescription-drug addict their medication. For example, I know the jail in Pueblo, Colorado (Pueblo County) provides methadone in a tapering-off dose if an inmate is on a methadone program. Does anybody have experience with other jails in this regard? I'm interested in buprenorphine more than anything else.

Also, I appreciate any suggestions. I plan to write a motion to ask a municipal court to order the jail to provide the medication for a sentence an inmate will soon serve. I also want to change the policy for everybody.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:37 pm 

I don't have any knowledge of jails and their drug policies, but I would like to commend you for the work you're doing. So many in prison are there because of drug related charges. I would like to see addicts treated in a rehab setting rather than a prison setting. But barring that, addicts on maintenance medications should be able to continue their program in prison.

Thanks for advocating on the behalf of addicts!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was deprived my daily dose of subs for 13 days in county jail 4-5 years ago and I am still mentally scarred from the ordeal today. I was trying to grin and bear it as to not give them the satisfaction of watching me writhe and on like the 5 or 6 day when it really started getting bad I lost it and started screaming and making threats to the staff (they kept me on 24 hour lockdown by the way and there reason was I was not in any condition to go to general population because of my withdrawal which would not even be happening if they gave me my dr Rx'd meds) and I was pretty much shivering and rolling around on the floor moaning and there were a couple guards who came up to my window and put their fists to their eyes motioning the "crybaby" symbol and mocking me while laughing. I could watch either of those guards get run over by a semi and it would effect me less than stepping on a cockroach.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jails in Fond du Lac county, WI, use a 'case by case' basis. People on Huber usually take buprenorphine when out at work; other people depend on the attitude of the nurse practitioner on duty that day. In general, if I call and ask them to keep a person on buprenorphine who has done well on the drug for a long time, they sometimes do it. If an inmate has abused buprenorphine, or is caught selling it or using it in an illegal fashion, there is NO chance they will get it in jail. Likewise, a person who comes in high on heroin or oxycodone is unlikely to get buprenorphine in jail.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I also do not know if they allow these things because I have never been in jail/prison. I do worry though, my mother was an opiate addict for years and with the line of work she does she could very possibly be put in prision. I'm thankful and happy to say she is clean now, she moved herself away from the drugs so to speak and worked her ass off to be where she is today.. She still struggles but she puts her faith in God. Sorry I got side tracked, but I worried about what would happen to her if she were to be caught. She was at a point where she would have seizures if she didn't have a certain amount of opiates in her system. She was very ill... I have been told mulitple times that they will let you puke all over yourself, shake, not sleep, and all of the above.. I feared that if she was put in jail she would die from the withdrawal. Actually I guarentee she would of. Now I'm not saying she wouldn't die on the pills and so on and so forth but It was a very messed up situation and she is my mother. I tried to get her on subs but it wasn't "For her" by the grace of god she was able to ween herself down to a stable level to jump. I know and she knows it was ONLY becasue she moved away from where they were so accessable.. Now she is clean and loving life but still has issues. Anyways, I think that you should have a choice.. Now I understand that people are going to look down on you for being there but if you have a script you should get that script. If you are in there for drugs I believe that they should allow you to be on a program and give back to society by working but in better mental state. Ihope you are able to work out something where people will be taken care of. A pregnant woman without bupe who has been on it may very well miscarry in w/d. That's very scary.. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Beautiful-Disaster wrote:
I also do not know if they allow these things because I have never been in jail/prison. I do worry though, my mother was an opiate addict for years and with the line of work she does she could very possibly be put in prision. I'm thankful and happy to say she is clean now, she moved herself away from the drugs so to speak and worked her ass off to be where she is today.. She still struggles but she puts her faith in God. Sorry I got side tracked, but I worried about what would happen to her if she were to be caught. She was at a point where she would have seizures if she didn't have a certain amount of opiates in her system. She was very ill... I have been told mulitple times that they will let you puke all over yourself, shake, not sleep, and all of the above.. I feared that if she was put in jail she would die from the withdrawal. Actually I guarentee she would of. Now I'm not saying she wouldn't die on the pills and so on and so forth but It was a very messed up situation and she is my mother. I tried to get her on subs but it wasn't "For her" by the grace of god she was able to ween herself down to a stable level to jump. I know and she knows it was ONLY becasue she moved away from where they were so accessable.. Now she is clean and loving life but still has issues. Anyways, I think that you should have a choice.. Now I understand that people are going to look down on you for being there but if you have a script you should get that script. If you are in there for drugs I believe that they should allow you to be on a program and give back to society by working but in better mental state. Ihope you are able to work out something where people will be taken care of. A pregnant woman without bupe who has been on it may very well miscarry in w/d. That's very scary.. Good luck!

I'm glad you can say that about your mom...as for mine, I still deal with her calling me up when she's high enough to not feel so guilty about her drug abuse...and have to listen to her brag about being clean and the other lies that come with it...I know better, and I don't believe her for a minute (I've heard that "I'm clean" speech thousands of times in the last 20 years from her)..

Hell, she gave me up for adoption when I was 3...and she was 18...because alcohol and partying were more pressing than raising a child. And she's been on something, drug-wise, ever since. Either illegal/illicit drugs, or prescribed drugs.
I don't care what the doctor says you should take...if you're getting 90 Xanax/month and 90-120 lortabs/month...because you tell the doctor you got arthritis and various other pains....something is wrong.
And it's not a medical necessity to take those large amounts of pills either. Don't tell her that though... doc says she needs em and by God she's gonna take em.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is an old thread, but I can shed some light. I was unfairly jailed without bond a few years ago. I was abused, and was supposed to testify against my ex. I was going to, but my car broke down. I called the court, I called everyone I knew, I called the court again. They said "it's ok, the judge will understand". Nope. I got arrested a week later.

While I was in jail I saw a lot of girls sick. Most coming in were detoxing or were about to. There are only a FEW exceptions to the "ABSOLUTELY NO SCHEDULED DRUGS IN JAIL!". There was a pregnant lady in there who was taken weekly to see her subutex doctor. The nurse dosed her daily. (But she confided this information in me, you DO NOT tell people in jail you get drugs. You will never get any peace!) Another girl was realllllly nutty. I assume she was on meth by the way she looked. She would get so crazy she would start pounding her head on her metal bed frame til she bled. She got some sort of benzo 3 times a day (but she would cheek it and sell it most of the time). And a really nice older lady. (She was real fucked up in a car wreck, had a script for roxis, and her son in law convinced her to sell some to him. He was a narc. He was just trying to get out of trouble, so he gave her up to the cops. She never sold before, it was only to him. She sold him 3 pills total. So sad.) She got tab 10s (I think 2 at a time) 3 times a day. She said it took her nearly 6 months of begging the doctor to get him to write it.

So in summary, there were (maybe) only 5 girls out of 50 who got an exception to get scheduled drugs in jail. I have heard that most jails around my area are more strict. And the prisons are more lenient (also, it's easier to get drugs illicitly in prison). Moral: DON'T GO TO JAIL!

If you are interested in my story of drugs/detox in jail, here ya go:
I was prescribed suboxone 16mg, tramadol 50mg 4-5x a day, ibuprofen 800mg 3x day, and klonopin 1mg 2x day , at the time.
I'd say 90% of the girls in there were in for drug or alcohol related crimes. Possession, dui/dwi, distribution, manufacture, etc. They told me clearly when I went in: "We give NO scheduled drugs in here. If you legally getting methadone , we don't care, you are sober while in here." I explained my situation, how I wasn't supposed to be in here, and I'm legally prescribed 2 scheduled and 2 not scheduled drug. Jail nurse GAVE NO SHITS! They wouldn't even give me my tramadol or ibuprofen. They said if I wanted to see the jail doctor it would cost me some crazy amount and they couldn't guarantee I would get any of my medications back. Oh, and the waiting period was nearly a month. I didn't figure I'd be there nearly that long, so I sucked it up.

For withdrawal they give a cocktail of drugs. It's the same for alcohol, benzos, or opiates. Librium (which I believe IS a controlled substance), Phenergan, and Immodium. Depending on your habit they give this mix for 3-7 days. Unfortunately for me (and the other girls detoxing off subs) they started giving me the mix the second day of incarceration (days before the sickness started). I slept nearly all day every day the 3 or 4 days they gave me the cocktail. I didn't shit for 4 or 5 days due to the immodium. Then on the 6th day I was there (no longer given the cocktail) the sickness hit me all at once. I was sick as a dog for what felt like forever. I begged and begged to get the cocktail back, but they said I'd have to talk to the doctor (a month wait). I asked "please, please, just give me some immodium and ibuprofen". They said "fill out this form, 1 for your CO, 1 for the nurse, 1 for the doctor. It'll take 3 to 7 days to process, then you may or may not get it." It was torture. I made a friend in there though. She had stock piled (by cheeking) immodium and ibuprofen and her librium (which she got daily). She took care of me,and it made things a hell of a lot better. Only problem was sleep. I never slept more than 3 hours a night.
I sat in jail for nearly a month before I could get a bond hearing. At the bond hearing my lawyer pointed out that I was the victim, the witness, not the abuser. The judge let me go and apologized for the confusion. I was nearly better when I got out. I didn't use anything for weeks. Then I found the rest of my bottle of suboxone and figured "why the hell not, I'll feel real good"... and relapsed. Should have never started taking it again. Ohh well. Life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Buprecision wrote:
I was deprived my daily dose of subs for 13 days in county jail 4-5 years ago and I am still mentally scarred from the ordeal today. I was trying to grin and bear it as to not give them the satisfaction of watching me writhe and on like the 5 or 6 day when it really started getting bad I lost it and started screaming and making threats to the staff (they kept me on 24 hour lockdown by the way and there reason was I was not in any condition to go to general population because of my withdrawal which would not even be happening if they gave me my dr Rx'd meds) and I was pretty much shivering and rolling around on the floor moaning and there were a couple guards who came up to my window and put their fists to their eyes motioning the "crybaby" symbol and mocking me while laughing. I could watch either of those guards get run over by a semi and it would effect me less than stepping on a cockroach.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

To the first posted message. I am a lawyer working a a suit for subtext fro pregnant inmates in Nashville, Tennessee. I know it has been several years, but how did this case end up? We are still in the planning phases here. With more information on what to expect, I think this suit can move forward. Your help is appreciated. I can be reached at 615-873-5670, Tim.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

While you are waiting for a response... send me a private message or email sometime and tell me more about your case (drj at fdlpsych dot com). I wrote to the Tennessee licensing board a year or two ago to help a nurse keep his license while taking buprenorphine....

There are so many horror stories about jails. People are routinely cut off opioids or benzos cold turkey.... I'm surprised more people don't die from benzo withdrawal in those settings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:59 am 

Unfortunately someone just did pass away this week in a Michigan jainhouse.
Left him in there alone detoxing from opiates and benzos...maybe some of you have seen or read this story..

Sad and criminal in my opinion. ..

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles ... gbRh3mFOM_

Razor, is this the story you are referring too? The suit was filed this week. Seems odd that he died 17 days after starting withdrawals, and a 50 pound weight loss. Missing lots of data, the comment section is something to behold, if you have a strong constitution.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:38 pm 

Yes Doc, it is..
Thanks for the link . Oh yes, the Outrage Addicts and the Internet Mob will be in full power in the comments section I would not doubt..
What happened to this poor soul is inexcusable. .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Land of Enchantment is the place to be if you're gonna be locked up.

The MDC (metropolitan detention center) in Albuquerque might have one of the most progressive policies in the country for opiate-replacement therapy.

Anyone who is currently (or even recently) on methadone or bupe gets their regimen continued -- at city expense unless they're being held on warrants from feds or elsewhere.

With methadone they even have a procedure to have the dose increased while in jail.

When it gets cold here there will be some people getting arrested so they can get off the streets and maybe also back onto methadone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:27 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi everyone. New here, but I seen this post and wanted to say that I was in 2 jails here in Washington State. Yakima County jail refuses you all opioid meds and benzos. I was prescribed Ms Contin Er for well documented back pain, and had local Dr but I had to endure the 2 weeks of withdrawal (I had a dui.. No longer drink). Then I had 3 day stay at Ellensburg, WA. They will give all meds that are current prescription from Dr and brought in to jail in bubble packs. Which makes me wonder why there's such wide variances from each jail.
Deaths are occurring due to the jails withholding legally prescribed meds. This is so outrageous.
Hopefully after lawsuits, they will figure it out. =(