It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As some of you know I was off sub for about 8 days because my supply got lost, then found it but could not stabilize, I took low dose codeine and got on 0.3mg of subs, so far it's holding me but I do not feel too much different then before on 0.5mg or around about there. I am wondering are PAWS decreased with a taper? to be honest with you guys I cannot see how a taper to 0 from 0.5 would cut down on 6 months of PAWS. How can it?

for instance and an example if someone got PAWS for 6 months jumping from 0.5 how could they have eliminated or decreased that? a taper in most cases takes around 2 months from 0.5 to 0, so how can a 2 month taper decrease 6 months worth of PAWS? or is PAWS irrelevant in this case and a taper only has affect on the initial acute withdrawal stage?

as for my current situation if I was to jump from 0.3 and get through the initial withdrawals with comfort meds would PAWS depend on the dose I jumped from? I am thinking of jumping off now because my gut instincts tell me it will be all the same even if I taper down to 0.25mg. I do not want to look back a 5 months or so down the line wondering if I had tapered to 0.25 and stayed there for 2-3 months it would have cut out the intensity of PAWS. I am thinking tapering your sub dose only affects the initial withdrawal stage.

Suppose I just want people to tell me whether I taper to 0.25 (hold it there couple of months) or jump off now from 0.3 it will have no bearing towards the length and intensity of PAWS. Can anybody explain how a stay on 0.25 for 2 months and 1 month on 0.125 (and even lower) can limit PAWS? I always thought PAWS is when you stop suboxone/subutex and as long as you are inserting sub in your receptors (tapering down) it is not cutting or increasing PAWS, and the length/intensity of PAWS does not reflect a taper?

thanks guys.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

PAWS have no real scale in my opinion.

This question can't really be answered until you see for yourself.

Could be a year, but it could be 6 years. Never know.

All I can tell you is that after one year I still felt really Shitty. Just unmotivated, depressed, Ect. Really hopeless.

But. Some people try to say that depression is underlying and ISNT part of the paws specifically.... I say yea right.

It's a different kind of depression. Depressed because you feel so unmotivated and Shitty all the time for months and years on end. Ya know? Not just regular old "I hate my life for no reason" depression.

Anywho. You gotta just see for yourself I guess. Just be careful. Getting off of subs is a slippery slope for a lot of addicts. And. I'm not saying don't get off or try to get off... Just be prepared and don't feel bad if it doesn't work out... You are sick and have to take care of your life threatening disease first above all else... It else you won't have that life to live....

And trust me... Folks saying that being on suboxone is no way to live and it's bad for your emotions and what not... Just wait till you aren't on it... You'll see just how good you had it!

Just my 3€ ¬

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It depends on how long you have been battling with opiate addiction, how much you have used, etc. If you have been on the low dose sub for most of the time, I would say up to 6 months perhaps. But, everyone is different, and it depends on your biochemistry first and foremost - whether you exercise, eat healthy, sleep well, have an active and busy lifestyle.

If you sit around all day doing nothing, expecting to feel better, you simply won't. Even people who aren't opiate addicts feel rotten if they do that.

I say, take what Moviemaker has said with a little scepticism - and a "year" is most likely not going to apply to you, since you have been on a low dose.

More info on your situation would be helpful, but we're not able to predict the unknown.

Love Xx

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 pm 

From what I've heard, the length of Paws is associated with your entire use of opiates, not how long you've been on sub or at what level. It's also not guaranteed that you will go through Paws. Sub Off! is correct that a lot may depend on how you're living your life. If you are anticipating Paws and sitting around examining how you feel, you're more likely to notice the symptoms of Paws.

I do also believe that depression can be an underlying problem because addicts are much more likely to have lower serotonin levels than the general public.

Amy