It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I came across the following website recently. You can do a search for your doctor to see if s/he is taking payments from any of the drug companies for speaking and/or consulting. I just thought I'd share.

http://www.propublica.org/topic/dollars-for-doctors

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks hat very interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks hat very interesting

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thamnk you, Hatmaker, as usual, you are in our corner, looking out for us.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Nice discovery! Thank you.

Even though my new and old doc didn't pop up, I'm still not convinced because I don't get why the tablets were fine for years and years and now they are suddenly dangerous because my kids may take them, embarrassing because they rattle in my purse, inconvenient because they dissolve so slowly, and unreliable because they can't be cut, as the medication isn't evenly distributed. Now the only solution is to take the films, of course!!!! And here is a coupon for them!!

Why are the films being pushed so hard? It just seems reasonable that there would be some compensation for switching patients to them.

This is just another piece of evidence supporting my conviction that we must all understand we are responsible for ourselves and no matter what degrees someone has on their walls, ask lots of questions before putting something in your body!!!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Many people, including myself and my doctor, believe the manufacturer (Reckitt Benckiser) is pushing the film because the patent ran out this year on the tablets. At any time another company could come along and start producing a generic. That would, of course, take money out of RB's pockets. This way, they have a brand-spanking new patent for, what? ten years. So even if a generic were to come out, people who are on the film and like it won't be apt to go back to the tablet - even a generic one. So they keep their customers!

Post subject: hat....
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hat, it sounds to me like you have a great doc! As much as I value Sub, boy oh boy, those drug companies can be tricky. But I have one question for you, hat. You said that they keep their customers because people on the films cannot go back onto the tabs. Why can't they go back onto the tabs? Is it not safe? Or is it just because there will be no tablets available? I think it will really stink if they quit making the tabs, cause not everyone can tolerate the films.

Yet isn't there a generic Subutex now? So, maybe people could switch to the generic Subutex if they don't like the films? I'd think that the fact that so many people don't tolerate the films may end up making the generic tabs more desirable.

You know, I just have a feeling that even if I beg my doctor to prescribe me the tabs instead of the films, he will say 'no' because of the 'safety reasons'. He wasn't on that list, but I also read the list isn't complete because it's only the organizations that divulged their info. It's weird when your doc comes across as a salesman and even hands you a coupon. I need the 2-mg tabs, since the films are stronger and I'm tapering. I wonder how much cheaper the generic are than the films. My insurance covers zero. Oh....but I forgot the coupon thing. The Sub film makers give you a coupon which takes $75 off each time you fill up until 3/11, as which point, I guess they've got everyone sucked in and they can charge full-pop. Soooooo dang tricky of them. I bet the $75 off makes it just a little cheaper to buy the films....

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:53 pm 
My doctor didnt show up either however, it says that some companies may not be in their data base. Im not so sure Reckitt Benkiser would be in that data base. I believe 100% that my doctor benefits in some way or another from Reckitt Benkiser. When i had to switch to subutex because im allergic to the artificial sweetner in suboxone, i was getting the generic subutex(which is made by another company) and he went from treating me like royalty, to saying i was a drug addict and addicts cant be trusted. Well, i ended up having problems with the generic so i ended up getting namebrand subutex(thank the lord for insurance) and now i was royalty again. My doctor is a real joke but he provides the medication and im not interested in searching for a new doctor at this time. Anyways, thanks for the site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anyone can make the switch from the films back to the tablets and vice versa. They're interchangeable and it's completely safe. I was just trying to say that the majority of the people LOVE the films and probably won't WANT to go back to the tablets, should a generic suboxone come out. As for Subutex being generic, that's true, however, very few doctors will prescribe it (other than to pregnant women). They feel the risk for diversion is too high because of subutex not having the naloxone in it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It says right in the article that RB is not one of the companies that reports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's still handy for one's other doctors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Real cool hat thanks this is something ive talked with other members and friends on suboxone many times. And when the films came out it has really been a big topic. well im goanna see if my doc is popping up or not wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think in there it said ALL must be reporting by 2013!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

UPDATE: Dollars for docs is updating their database to now include numbers/ info from 12 pharma companies instead of just the seven. This is good news. The update won't happen until September, but I did want to inform you all. I know I use this site to check out ALL of my docs, not just my sub doc. It's always very eye-opening.

Quote:
ProPublica is preparing a major update to our Dollars for Docs database, and we want to invite your news organization to participate in a roll-out of stories based on the new data.

As you may know, some pharmaceutical companies have begun publishing information on their websites about payments they’ve made to doctors and other health professionals for promotional speaking and consulting. On September 8, 2011, we will publish an updated version of our searchable database of payments that will now include data from 12 drug companies (about 40 percent of the U.S. market). The new information includes a full year of data from eight of those companies, allowing the first head-to-head comparisons of the fees paid by those companies. It is guaranteed to have a local angle of interest to your audience.

Conflicts of interest in medicine have been a major issue for the past several years. As part of last year’s health reform bill, all drug and medical device companies will be required to publicly report their payments to physicians beginning in 2013. Some companies have started doing so before then, either voluntarily or as the result of legal settlements. But the payments listed on the companies’ individual sites are not easy to search and analyze—our site is.

We first published our database and initial report last October with information from seven companies. But as additional companies have reported payments—and others have updated their figures—it has become even more useful for consumers. You can begin to see which doctors in your communities have stopped speaking on behalf of drug companies and which have recently joined up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thanks hat'. my doc's name is not in it. will any body show some doc's name in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My urologist happens to be in the database. When I search the name, here's how the results look.

Quote:
Keep in mind that our database only includes the eight companies that have disclosed payments nationwide. The provider may or may not get money from companies not included in this database. You may wish to ask your provider directly. Read more about this data.
Displaying 1 payment for the term brode.

Name State City Company Amount Quarters Service Payees
BRODE, AMY LYNN Mich. Livonia Pfizer $1,000 2009

Expert-Led Forums: $1000.00

Sorry it looks like this but I have no idea how to post an image of the whole website like Diary can. (Diary, how do I do that?)

Is this what you were looking for, johnboy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The previous link I posted appears to take you to the home page. This link should take you directly to where you can do your searches at. http://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

thankyou again hatmaker." i think i see now. how are you doing queenie. i was thinking about you. and your surgery went well. ive been practicing on the piano a little more. no". maybe a lot more! :)

Post subject: Generic Subutex
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:32 am 
I tried the generic subutex by Roxanne and had horrible side effects, including increases in blood pressure. I contacted the company and filled out an adverse event report. I had heard bad things about their generic and I felt my experience needed to be documented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:15 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Ya some of the drug companies paying to the doctors...But it is good issue raised by u...