It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

YAY! Your anxiety went away!! I'm so happy for you. What a relief, huh?

Your staggering plan is fantastic. It should keep you feeling pretty decent. I cannot believe how fast you went down. That same thing kinda happened to me the first time I tried tapering. I dropped by 8 mg and then 8 again and then 4 and WHAM! It all hit me and I had no idea what was making me so miserable. I couldn't believe the Suboxone could actually do that, or I should say I couldn't believe my body could do that when it didn't get the Suboxone it wanted. It is basically your central nervous system throwing a tantrum.

If you can switch to Subutex, do it. It's one less drug to have to worry about putting into your body. My doc won't give out Subutex, and he repeats the same line...."Naloxone only makes a difference when injected..." blah, blah, blah.....yes, I've heard it before Mr. Sub doc.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The staggering taper is a great idea, it definitely seemed to work great for me. This week is actually the first week I am not doing that, and am just at .50mgs but that is b/c I got scared! LOL I hope to return to the staggering method next drop and do .50/.25 but anyway I wanted to say YAY!!!! I'm so happy that you feel stabilized, and the anxiety has lifted. Hallelujah is right!! That damn anxiety is just a biotch in every sense of the word! Man it is tough for sure...

So proud of you, you are on your way, and feeling good is going to keep you going strong!! It's so great to hear this news from you, put a big smile on my face girl!!

Keep it up!!! You will get there soon enough, just one step at a time!!

I'm always here for you, even if you feel like you are having a bad day, never hesitate to send me a PM or whatever you feel I can do, I would be more then happy to do!!

Taking it one day at a time, is a good solid plan, that will most definitely be successful!!!

Congratulations girl!! So so sooooo proud of you and happy for you!!!

Hugs!!!
Rain

- Joseph Campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

xsteve wrote:
Seems like your plan will work out fine , way to go ! Im off now 1 month , still not entirerly 100% but not as bad as first couple of weeks...everything gets better in time , its just hard to believe that at first......
Steve

Thats the truth for sure! At first you mind plays such horrible games with you...but after the first couple weeks / month things really look up.. just seems like time slows down to NOTHING when you get off opiates.

I had struggled to quit last year around February and ended up relapsing and then getting a doc and been on Subs since May of 2010. My plan is to spend the next year tapering because seriously if you have insurance and the money then you have the time to do it RIGHT.. if we value our lives and the people around us then taking the right amount time to get off opiates is the best choice to make.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

slow and steady wins is for sure the truth when getting off subs. I would have gone even slower if I could do it again. there really is no rush to get here. The worst suboxone symptom for me, now that I can look back, was the obsession of getting off. Its all that I thought about and it made me really depressed and crazy. Now that I know a painless jump is possible with a slow and gradual taper I would suggest not obessing over when youll be off and just go really slow. it will make it much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well said Gubulars!!

PS---Love that avatar!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

livin...did you read my mind?!!!! LOL You're right! That is the worst...the obsession to get off! I was sailing along the past 3 years perfectly happy until I decided to taper and now I'm in a tantrum! I WANT OFF NOW!!! Well, I'll take a year LOL!

Hi, gubulars! Glad you chimed in and glad you are here to taper with me. Seems like most here are almost ready to jump and I'm still at a higher dosage. Plus, I may have to have surgery and if that's the case, I might be forced to go even slower or go back up on my Subs....but I still want to get as low as I can before surgery so I'll be able to use the Sub for pain. Now that I know how easy it is to go from higher doses to lower doses, doesn't bother me as much and I will only stay higher just long enough to get thru any pain relief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Aqua take your time by the time....................I wish I found this site before I was as low as I was cuz then I would not have suffered as much as I did going from 8-.5

You are doing great and will reach your goal girl I know you will if I can anyone can

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:48 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Well, it is absolutely amazing how 4 mgs can push aside anxiety. Yesterday, I did 12 mgs. Today, I did my 8 mgs this morning....started feeling really anxious around noonish. I just did my other 4 mgs about 45 minutes ago and just all of a sudden, the anxiety vanished. Wow! Did I tell you all that I am quitting smoking as well?!!! I just finished my first 24 hours without a puff :) I'm sure that is contributing to the anxiety but let me say that I've tapered down to my cig quit.
When I made that ER trip on 4/6, I started tapering cigs the next day...I've basically been cutting back from 15, then 10, then this past 5 days or so, I've only smoked like 1/2 of 4-5 cigarettes a day. Yesterday, I smoked 3 cigarettes and only took a couple puffs....I thought 'if I can do that, I can quit!'. Had my last one at 3 pm yesterday afternoon. So today, woke up...started drinking lots of water and have not smoked a one! If I can make it this first week, I am over the hump....going to do this....I'm about to clean up every which way there is to clean up....from the Subs to the cigarettes, this lady is about to tackle it all :)

So, would like to ask a question if any of you taperers can help out :) When can I expect to feel pretty good here at 12 mgs/day? I mean, I feel good but still having bouts of anxiety here and there. I had NO anxiety at 24 mgs/day. I was at 24 mgs/day just 7 weeks ago so yes, I feel very good about being 1/2 down on my dosage in that time. Everyone says that they were able to taper off the higher dosages pretty fast...what do you mean by fast? My doctor says I should stay at each new dosage for 2 months. If that's what it takes, I'm agreeable...and I know it's different for everybody but I guess I'd just like to know that by Christmas I'll be to 8 mgs or less. Would like to start the new year really getting into the nitty-gritty of this!

It's Easter Sunday...wow, a year ago, thought I'd be on Subs forever. Here, a year later....I am so ready to taper and be free from "pain management" :) Next year hope to be at 4 mgs or less....now that would be nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Happy Easter AquaLady!!

Wow, you are quitting smoking, GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! You really are something else!!

As far as your taper question, from what I've seen and from my personal experience at high doses (above 10mg), it only took a week, maybe two for the wd symptoms to go away. Now, the anxiety that your getting seems to be more of a sticky wicket.....you may need more time on each dose to coax the anxiety into submission. You may want to start learning some kind of relaxtion techniques as well, I think this has already been mentioned on this thread?

Any way you look at it, you are doing SO good!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hey aqua,
I am really glad to hear you want to clean out your body and start living healthy. I think thats the best way to fight these things like anxiety in the long term. I myself have been living a lot "cleaner" lately in terms of diet, exercise, and of course getting off subs. I can tell you that I feel so much better than ever before without all these drugs and meds, so you have a lot to look foward to. At first it was hard to get into a healthy routine but once I got a week or two into it, it now is just part of my day and I look forward to it(the exercise and healthy foods). Its like Newtons law of objects in motion; once in motion objects tend to stay in motion. In terms of your anxiety, I am not going to lie, you might need to find some techniques to get around it without the use of extra subs. Anxiety seemed to be a constant issue for me until I got really really low. If you can find good ways to deal with it like meditation, exercise, and if absolutely necessary, a non-addictive anti depressant like maybe lexapro, than youll have a much easier time tapering. You will have to deal with minor w/d in this tapering process but I promise you, they are very bearable. If you can get your body through some if the more minor stuff like anxiety and trouble sleeping, youll move along much faster. I was stuck on 2mg for awhile(like a year) because I couldnt take the anxiety. I even went to rehab because I got into benzos trying to fight the anxiety. Once I realized it was because of the subs I decided the subs were messing with too much of my life. I already feel so much relief from anxiety and other symtoms related to subs and I am only on day 10. So keep going aqua, you will be one of the reasons I continue checking in on this site; I really want to see you off subs one day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks, livin and romeo....I am meditating , relaxing and getting thru this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Aqua,
Wow, Aqua Trying to conquer a lot at once. As my old daddy told me, eat the elephant a bite at a time. I'm 12 days off today and also have other addictions I want to conquer. This has been pretty hard for me and I was only on Sub for 2 months to take me off a 7300 pill a year habit. Sub is rough enough to defeat in my humble opinion by itself. I guess what I am saying is choose your battles carefully because there are plenty to be fought.
You have a beautiful kind soul and I continue to pray for you.
God Bless, Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

About how long it will take you to feel normal...

If I remember right, you started at 24 mg in early-ish March, right? So, you are a month and a half in and you've gone down an awful lot. It takes a reaaallly long time just for the extra Sub to get out of your system. I've been told and read three weeks many times, so I'm just going to throw that out there. I'm not sue anyone really knows how long it actually does take. So, say it takes three weeks. Every time you drop, you have to consider that you have this extra bunch that you have to give time to get out. If you had been at 12 mg for this whole time, the dropping from here would be faster. You have to take breaks to let it all get itself worked out. To be honest, I did not have anxiety issues until the much lower doses, but I did not drop as fast as you. I did do big drops, but then I'd take a couple months off. Give yourself time to let the anxiety go away. Get to where you feel 100%. You WILL feel 100%, and I'll bet that will be pretty soon. With my most recent taper (the one I started in Oct. @ 8 mg) I had a five day pattern, where I seemed to always be past the worst part of whatever I felt after five days. I think that's because I was doing conservative drops. You have nothing to worry about, though, because you aren't down around the ceiling yet, so your body will get used to it relatively quickly. I sincerely encourage you to be patient and keep the long half life in mind. Don't burn yourself out at these higher doses.

BTW, good for you for quitting smoking. I did a while back and I'm past missing it at all. I love being a non smoker and not being all smelly all the time. There ARE huge perks to not smoking, as tough as it seems while you are doing it. I stayed away from all smokers for a little while, because smelling it was torture until I got used to it. Now, I don't care anymore. You will get to where you won't care anymore too. Isn't that kinda hard to imagine? It's true, though. I think it's never too early to quit, but also, don't push too hard. Only you know how much you can do right now. I'd love to tell you to stick with the quitting smoking if you can. If you can't right now, well, I'd understand that too. Just keep being proud of yourself, because you've already cut your smoking way back, and that is a huge accomplishment in itself. Weren't you the one who told me getting to 1 mg was pretty darn good and that I should give myself kudos for it?? Well, ditto sweetie!!! Hey, if you do quit completely, go get yourself some very yummy new lotions to put on to celebrate the fact that you won't smell like cigs anymore!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

rockblaster..yes, trying to do two things at once! It's really not been too bad....as I've tapered my cigarettes down. Honestly, I don't want to smoke anymore and it is much easier to quit when you want to quit! The last time I quit, I was over the hump in 3 weeks and by week 4, was doing awesome. And, the quitting smoking gives me something to blame everything on besides tapering Subs :) Thank you for your prayers...I pray for everyone here too :) I'm so glad you are here at this forum.

ladder...you're right, as usual :) (one of the reasons I think so much of you!) You, livin and romeo are such supportive souls. It's only been about 3 weeks since the half-life caught up with me....so it is still working itself out. And cutting my dose in half was a biggie! The very best thing you can do each day is to keep pushing through and just go about living your life...try not to think about the Subs...me and all of us trying to taper, will wake up one day and realize hey, it's time to go on down again. The more we try to put a timer on it, the worse it is LOL. I KNOW I'm going to be here a good year, at least, so just "gently roll with the flow...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I'm going to be quitting cigarettes in July of this year and if ANYONE tells me to go get some "very yummy new lotions to put on to celebrate the fact that I won't smell like cigs anymore!!! "......they will get a big ole cyber smack!!! :lol: :lol:

Women and their lotions......good grief Charlie Brown? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

ClearAqua wrote:
The very best thing you can do each day is to keep pushing through and just go about living your life...try not to think about the Subs...me and all of us trying to taper, will wake up one day and realize hey, it's time to go on down again. The more we try to put a timer on it, the worse it is LOL.

well said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:16 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Amen to that from me too .........the more I tried to schedule my dropping doses the harder it got, it was only when I decided to let my body decide to drop when I made real progress :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ClearAqua wrote:
Thanks, livin and romeo....I am meditating , relaxing and getting thru this!

Good for you!! I'm so happy for you! You sound like things are going really well!! Congratulations on quitting smoking as well. I know that's a tough one. I hope that things keep going well for you!

Best of luck in going forward!!!

- Joseph Campbell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:09 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Today at 3pm, I will have made it through my first week of quitting cigarettes! It has not been too bad at all....a couple of craves daily but I had tapered so low in the weeks before the quit, it was a great help. I am very proud of myself! My throat is a bit scratchy and I read that it's common when you quit as the old cells are shedding and being replaced...that you might have a sore throat and cough. I was dreading the first week and here it is...OVER WITH! I prayed for help with this and I know that God gave me the strength...I have no doubt :)

Saw my Sub doc yesterday and he switched me to the strips...I'm very glad. Now, it will be much, much easier to taper. Those tablets were just too hard to break under 2 mgs with any sort of consistancy.

Now, here's the deal....I ran out of Subs 2 days early one time and "borrowed" some from a person I know that takes them too. She was already on the strips so she had to loan me 3 strips. The first time I took one, it was SO strong, that I had this "rush" from it. I didn't like it and the next time, I took 1/4 off the strip and only took that.

So, starting the strips this morning, I took 6 mgs instead of my usual 8 and I will still take my 4 mgs later today for a total of 10 mgs. I've been on 12 mgs for almost a month now. Going to do that and see how I feel. I was not going to taper again for at least another month but I'm thinking the strips have such better absorption (so feel stronger) that I may just need 10 mgs on the strips.
Hope this works....as it means I'll be 10 mgs/day which is a far cry from 24 mgs day 2 months ago!

ladder...it seems like everyone is jumping and you and I are left behind on the "taper train" together :) It's ok...we will someday be with everyone else...and they are all so kind as to pop in and tell us there is hope, that we can do this and we will get there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:53 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Today is my 3rd day at 10 mgs/day. I am having some RLS and a teeny bit of anxiety. I am so mad about this that I WILL push through!

I had wanted to stay at 12 mgs/day for one more month before dropping to 10 mgs/day and I HAD to go on and start the 10 because I can't do a whole 8 mg strip at one time. They are just too strong and I feel way over-medicated.
I've been doing an 8 mg tablet in the morning and 1/2 tab (4 mg) about noon...I was trying to bump the noon dose backwards to where I was just dosing once daily.

Switching to these strips has kind of messed me up! I cannot do the dosing like I was....these strips are just so much stronger. I am doing 3/4 strip (6 mg) in the am and 1/2 strip (4 mg) about 2-3 pm for a total of 10 mgs/day.
Even though I am having RLS (started yesterday) and some anxiety issues, I still feel very over-medicated (can nod out immediately upon closing eyes, immediate dream-state) and I don't like this at all! Even at 12 mg/day on the tablets, I did not have this sensation of being over-medicated.

UGH...what to do? I am so mad about this, I am pushing through. I'm going to stay here for a while, get accustomed to 10 mgs/day, and still try and get to once daily dosing. If I did my whole 10 mgs at once with those strips in the morning, it would knock me out! I knew they were supposed to be absorped better but wow, I must've been losing a lot of bupe doing it in tablet form.
I so don't like this feeling of being medicated. I have not had a pleasant experience yet with this taper. My fault, totally, for trying to do it by myself 2 months ago but it is taking me a while to stabilize....I finally stabilized at 12 mgs/day....was doing really, really well and then switched to the strips and it has upset the applecart again!

Ok....here's what I think will help:[list] Stay at 10 mgs/day for at least 2 months
Dose at SAME time every day
Do not bump back time of 2nd dose...just gradually cut it down when you begin to taper again until you are no longer taking that afternoon dose. The afternoon dose is where I will begin the next drop in dosage.
Trust in God to help me...let go of some of this fear that I cannot do this...He has helped me quit smoking...He will help me with the Suboxone taper :)
Realize that some of this anxiety and RLS could be related to nicotine withdrawal...although I have been quit smoking for 9 days now, trust that some of these symptoms will probably pass as my body becomes accustomed to being a "non-smoker".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next