It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: MY APRIL FOOL'S BABY!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:14 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Guys!
Would've posted my birth story sooner, but it's been a crazy week! So, my Son was born April 1st @ 7 30pm.....thats right, An APRIL FOOL'S BABY!! He was 18 1/2 inches long and weighed in @ 7lbs6oz. .....and a FULL head of hair! I ended up having a C-Section because after being induced, labor never progressed enough for a vaginal birth. I'll post the surgery in a seperate post, but it went great! As soon as the doctor pulled my baby out, my son peed all over him! Amazingly, 15min post surgery, my son was given to me and I immediately began nursing him....NO-ONE gave me problems about this. My son latched on perfectly, and has been nursing since. None of the Doctors/ Nurses saw any sign of NAS. My son stayed in my room w/me the entire hospital stay. He was cleared by the Pediatricians to go home after 48hrs. However, ten hrs after this, he began to become extremely cranky. I believe this was partly due to the fact that my milk still hadn't come in. The next morning, the Ped. asessed him again and still saw no signs of NAS. But, due to the opinion of one nurse, (that's right, ONE freakin Nurse), the Ped. said they would keep him till 3pm that day so that they could do NAS scoring. Up to this point, he hadn't been scored, because no-one saw any signs. Luckily, the highest score he got all day was a 4, (they start the babies on medication once they reach a 7). We were both finally released from the hospital Monday evening, approx. 72hrs post birth. He became increasingly cranky as we left the hospital and went home. He cried almost non-stop ALL NIGHT LONG. We were so scared. We finally remembered (@ about 6a.m the next morning), that tight swaddling really helps NAS babies. FROM THAT MOMENT, he calmed down and has gotten better every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CONGRATULATIONS, Marie! I'm so glad and relieved to hear that everything went well and smoothly, too. Enjoy your new baby and remember to take care of yourself, too. Be happy!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:57 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I believe my son does have mild NAS. But, it's so hard to be sure, since many of the characteristics of a NAS baby, are some of the same behaviores that every healthy baby has. Thank God my milk finally came in about the same time that my husband and I began remembering things you can do to sooth an NAS baby....tight swaddling, dark/quiet room, small frequent feedings (like every hr!), and of course extra love.
We took our son to the Ped. Tuesday and she said he looks great! His birth weight had dropped in the hospital (as many baby's do) right after birth. But, can you believe that our little piggie was down to 6lbs 11oz when we left the hospital, and by the next afternoon, he was already back up to 7lbs 2oz!! Thats alotta breastfeeding people! The Ped said that IF our son does have NAS, it's very mild.....definitely not anything that requires medication.......YHAAAAAAAA!!!
As far as me......I've been in ALOT of pain. It wasn't too bad while we were in the hospital because I had a Q-Pump in (highly recommend) and they were giving me I.V. Toradol the whole time. As soon as the anesthetic in the pump ran out (which was about the time we were leaving)....I began experiencing alot of pain. I was offered Ultram many times, but declined. Now that we're home, Im taking Toradol PO and 800mg IBprophen. I also resumed my Subutex while we were still @ the hospital. My pain gets better day by day, but it's still really hard adjusting to life w/an extra needy baby while exhausted and in pain. I feel really lucky that everything turned out the way it has. I know it could've been much different. Thanks to all of you whom supported me throughout my pregnancy. I'll make a seperate post about the surgery and about all meds given, in order to help others in the future.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, Congratulations Marie!! I'm so glad you posted, I was honestly starting to get worried. No need for worry though, you have a healthy baby boy (boy's are the best :lol: ). Thank you so much for including the fact that he peed on the doctor....hilarious!!

So glad to hear the NAS is mild to non-existent. What a relief.

I'm sorry to hear that your pain was pretty sharp there for a while, like you said though, it should continue to get better day by day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:46 pm 
Congratulations on your baby! I'm so glad to hear that everything went relatively well for both of you! I'm so glad that you're aware that a lot of the NAS 'symtoms' are also the very same symptoms that some newborns have just because that's the way they are! All babies are just a little bit different, with their own little dispositions and personalities! Just remember too, that all the things that tend to be comforting to a just 'normal' fussy baby are the same as with a NAS baby too. Keep comforting him and keeping his tummy full and I'll bet he continues to get better every day!
As far as your discomfort....I remember with my own C/S, after that first week-10 days, the pain just really dropped off dramatically! So you should be on the home stretch there.
Again....Big Congratulations to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow! Congrats to you!

I am so happy to hear you had a good outcome - despite the pain - but that your baby seems to be doing well! I am almost 11 weeks pregnant and want to learn as much as I can for the time to come when I deliver!

Did you stop taking sub at all before going into labor or what does were you on?

Thank you!

Jessica

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

MissH,

Congrats on you'r pregnancy! Feel free to ask me any questions. You can send me a pm too if you'd like. This should be an exciting and joyous time in you'r life. Try not to get all boggled down with fear and anxiety over what the future may hold. I know how difficult it can be trying NOT TO obsess over wether or not you'r child may have NAS, or how Doctors/Nurses may treat you, or just the fact that you'r GONNA BE A PARENT!!
The most important thing is to just take care of yourself.....and please, please, please, enjoy you'r pregnancy! Don't let you'r emotions get the best of you (the bad ones anyways). You know we addicts are really good @ that! Just trust and believe in yourself like everyone else does, and before you know it....it'll be time to go have a baby!
To answer you'r questions though-No, I didn't per say (stop taking my Subutex) before the C-Section. My doctor was still trying to do everything he could to avoid a surgery (at my request). But, after two inductions, I never progressed enough for a vaginal delivery. The morning of my surgery (about 10 30a.m) I took 6mg of Subutex. My section was @ 7pm that night, so like 8 1/2 hours after my last dose. I still had stacked up Bupe in my system too though, since I never discontinued my medication. Im currently on 12mg. I had a spinal (which numbed me from the waist down) and didn't make me feel euphoric. It was wonderful. It def got the job done. I'll make a surgical post soon to inform everyone about the meds used in the spinal. Good Luck MissH! Im so happy for you!!