It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Three months ago, I was wondering whether I was crazy or not for making the decision to abruptly quit suboxone at 2mg. It was a quick, emotional based decision in which I'm grateful for making. I want everyone here to know that there is a life after suboxone, a bright, beautiful life full of hope. I cant express in words how dead I was on suboxone. I for one, agree with suboxone maintenance, and understand it saved countless lives.

I was on suboxone for several years, falling victim to Classic long term opiate conditions including (beginning to see) hair loss, tooth cavities, and endocrine problems including Very low testosterone. I'm 25 so this is a problem. Anyways, im Happy as hell to report that all of these conditions have subsided. My teeth feel strong, my hair is growing at full force. I was beginning to see a receding hair line towards the end of my subox treatment. It all grew back, not just where it fell out, but its jet black and Thick and curly like it used to be, if not more?

I recall seeing people worry about long term side effects from suboxone. One condition I still live with is the runny nose and sneezing. Other than that, I have no depression, no fatigue, and nothing that stands out as abnormal. I recently came off 3 mg of Xanax after 4 years. I think the Xanax WD made the subox feel like a cake walk. There's no comparison.

Anyone here who worries about the wd from subox, just remember that you truly begin to feel significantly better after around 35 days. I don't remember focusing on WD after a month. Once sleep returned to normal, so did I. Since I began tapering, I've managed to join the marine cor. NEVER in a Million years did I ever think that I would ever have what it took to do something so courageous. I'm off to basic in a couple months, and I'm in the best shape of my life with no long term problems from subox or anything for that matter. Everyone here who is struggling two weeks in, which is the toughest part(Anxiety, sleep, cold hands and feet, weird thought and dreams, ETC) , stay focused on the one month mark. This is when you see huge gains. There is a light at the end of the tunnel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have joined this site just to say fuckin fair play. If you have beaten drug addiction the marine core will be a breeze lol. Ian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:25 pm 

Thanks for updating your story! I'm glad that you're doing so well!

It's important for folks that are struggling through a taper or detox from sub to know that they will eventually feel better.

I think that there is another point that is important as well, although I'm repeating what Romeo has said since I don't have any first hand experience. According to him, it's normal to feel like you're on top of the world for several months after you are feeling better, complete with no desire to ever do drugs again. Unfortunately, it's also normal for that feeling to fade and to start to experience cravings, and have to learn how to deal with your emotions and stressful situations.

I don't say this to undermine your experience at all! I am truly happy for anyone who comes off sub successfully, as I hope to do the same someday. It's just really important that you are doing things that guard this new phase of your recovery!

I hope you continue to do well and update us on how you're feeling as time goes on!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:13 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I just realized after reading your post that I had hair loss when I was on opiates/subs as well and it has stopped since getting off! I can't believe I never made the connection. I am 26 and every time I would take a shower I would notice hair coming off. I haven't had this problem in months! Another side effect gone that I can add to that long list.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:29 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It's a damn long list alright. Hey amy, I have to say Yes, It's Very difficult at times to allow myself to feel emotions, and accept it without running. It's hard to deal with pain, and being sad or angry. To be honest, I don't think I can make the mistake of going back on anything without ending up dead. I just came off Xanax, and I see the world with clear eyes and its as scary as it is amazing. It's scary how well you hit the nail on the head. Everyday struggles are magnified these days, but at the end of the day I can take a deep breath and smile. That's what this is all about, being happy. Subox saved my life and I'll be forever in debt to this site. I would still be on it if I hadn't come across todd's(Gemmasub) post a few month back, along with the Incredible people I was lucky to meet here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 am 

Just to clarify, I'm not the one hitting the nail on the head. Romeo is! :D But I listen very carefully to what he has to say because he has been off sub over 3 years now (I think), and he has had to work very hard in his recovery not to slip back into bad patterns. He now understands what he needs to do to short circuit the trail that leads to a slip.

You have a very realistic attitude toward your present and your future. I hope you can navigate the coming years successfully!

I'm sure you've been as instrumental in helping others in recovery as folks here have been for you. Glad you found us!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ya Hope,

Congratulations on 3 months, that's sensational!!

As far as dealing with your emotions, it gets better and better the longer we continue to face those uncomfortable feelings head on. The brain is simply amazing in how plastic it is and how we can learn to diminish those old behaviors/reactions and learn better how to properly respond to stress.

An important lesson I learned was my reaction to stress. My first impulse to stress was to react, then think. Once I figured out how to think, then react, I made an ass of myself much more infrequently. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Never I repeat Never talk about any of this around the Marines ...... The day I shipped to MCRD SanDiego , 15 of the guys I was supposed to ship with that day were kicked out because they were honest , the marine lawyers came in and told everybody to fess up about past drug shit, that nothing would happen to them, that honesty was the best policy on starting a new life as a marine soldier , they were all kicked out , so don't be honest if something like this happens on the morning you ship ! Siemper fi