It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Let me begin by saying I found a Doctor that is $100. cheaper then where I went for 2 months. I was not very pleased with my 1st Dr. especially when he told me suboxone blocks my pain that is why it helped me with my pain. But the big reason was the money.
I was a little FREAKED OUT because he (my new Dr) asked me why I was on benzo's, I'm not on benzo's, then why did you test positve for them? Well I pulled out my meds and he says none of those are benzo's. I mean what the hell???

Then he gives me a big big speech about life without drugs and I will have to get off the subs. He starts tapering you 6 months after you start. I am just not sure how I feel about this!

Have any of ya'll had this experience?
:wink:
Mel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Forgive me for not remembering, but why did you get a new doctor...to save some money? That is a good cash price, I must say.

But you don't think you'll be ready to taper off in 6 months? How long have you been on it so far? I guess you can just play it by ear, get to know your new doctor and hope that when the time comes that he will be prepared to listen to your own individual needs and not a one-size-fits-all approach.

Good luck and keep us posted as you get to know him.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hat Yes the Big reason I changed was to save $100 a month. This is the beginning of my 3rd month and I maybe ready to taper but I may not. I told him I take it for pain also and he started talking about living life with pain is all in the mind,that we can not depend on drugs for the rest of our lives.
About the benzo's I dont take them and they showed up in my test ????? he really was not mad about it ,He just said benzo's make you loss your memory.
I start my counseling in Dec and I go see my Pain Management Dr. Thursday so I'm just trying to stay Positive until I can start beening honest with my doctors getting all my information in order and REALLY start my recovery. All I can do at this point is take it one day at a time. Time to listen and do things to right way so I can get my life together. In the beginning I thought subs would do it and now I;m begining to realize it will take more for me.
I've been an addict for a very long time and it is time to get to the root of my problem. I'm just seeing that things are not all roses there will be tornes along the way.
:wink:
Mel

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think it's unfair to feel pressured to taper from your doctor. Deciding to taper off Suboxone is a very personal decision, and only you can know when you're ready to begin the process.

Knowing within yourself is really important. For me the next biggest factor is how long since I've gotten high, with any drug. If it's been years, then IMO it can't hurt to weigh up your options. If you discuss it reasonably with your doctor, show him you've weighed up the pros & cons, but it's still best to stay on the program, then he should be more understanding. (emphasis on should).

I had an addiction doctor once who was a recovering addict / anaesthetist, about 70 years old, and a huge 12-stepper. He refused to prescribe methadone / Suboxone to anyone beyond detox, and anyone who presented to him on Subox or methadone was put on these hellish rapid 30 day tapers and told to go to NA, regardless of their dose. He even took me off my Depakote and Seroquel, as their side-effects are "sedation" figuring it got people high. My psych had severe issues him. He was even trying to get me off my lithium... Ahh those pesky steps do funny things to people. Everyone I know who did those tapers has since relapsed.

I don't think you should be forced into a taper, but it can't hurt to look at your options as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:12 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

tear,
I totally agree and that is a problem I'm have with him and maybe not. This is just crazy because if I dont agree with him then back to square 1 looking for another dr that believes in long term sub because I have LOTS of pain and subs do help me with it. This is just not good but I will stay and see how it works out if not then i'll be in the yellow pages again.
It is terrible we are having to pay cash money for Dr WHY????? Then when we change Dr to save money they want to wonder what we are up to. This is just Bullshit and angers me
Mel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mel,

I am not sure if you and your pain management Dr have a good rapport but he can prescribe you sub for pain. Maybe you could tell him that the sub is helping your pain and your sub Dr is trying to push you off of sub. Just a thought because I can't see how a forced taper could be good for anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:22 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Breezy_Ann wrote:
Hi Mel,

I am not sure if you and your pain management Dr have a good rapport but he can prescribe you sub for pain. Maybe you could tell him that the sub is helping your pain and your sub Dr is trying to push you off of sub. Just a thought because I can't see how a forced taper could be good for anyone.

Breezy,

Are you saying that Pain Management doctors are allowed to prescribe buprenorphine/Sub for pain?

(I just want to understand what you are saying correctly, that's all.)

-ex-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:27 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Breezy,
THAT IS EXACTLY what I was thinking I really really like him. I lost my husbands heath insurance for 7 months til the new one kicks in. So I have not been back to see him since I have to pay cash,but I decided to pay the $186 to go ahead and see him. Now i have not seen him since I've been on subs and really not sure what he thinks about them BUT will find out Thursday and really hoping that he is cool about it and he may suprise me and agree that subs are the way to go. I'm thinking that if not then methodone but of course this is just my brain running with thoughts. like Indigo said it a earlier post just be honest i know i'm not the first and will not be the last to come out and say hey I got addicted and started abusing the medicine. So now I need help and I found subs. I'm just so ready to let him know and go one with my life because wondering worrying is just making things alot worst.
Thanks for ya'll input it really helps me out, all the advice is motivating
Mel :wink:

Can I just add this:
My 19 yrs old woke me up this morning for his birth certificate I asked for what he said MARRIGE LICENCE!!!!! HUH??? HUH?? What the HELL!!!! I'm trippin I said not a word But if he gets married without ME i will be devisated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ex, yes any Dr can prescribe sub for pain. Doctors only need the certification to prescribe sub for opiate dependance.

Mel, I guess I am a more intrusive mom than you because I certainly wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut on that one. I don't blame you I would be hurt to if one of my kids got married without at least telling me. I hope that's not the case.

I can't imagine any Dr being upset with a patient for recognizing their problem and seeking help. I know if I were your pain Dr I would be impressed by that, definately not disappointed.