It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:40 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have another situation that has arisen with another acquaintance of mine.... being a former addict i know a lot of other addicts and hear about these types of situations all the time.
This young man (22yrs old) has been on suboxone for quite a while now (3 or 4 years), his parents have always kept and adminstered his Suboxone. He been on 8mg a day for a long time, but has been tapering down over the last few years and is down to 2mg a day.
He no longer lives with his parents and is out on his own now, and he hasnt been able to afford his Suboxone appointments for a few months now..... BUT his parents have a bunch of extra Suboxone pills from when he was tapering... Probabaly enough to last 6 more months taking 2mg a day.
Now for the question... He just started on probation for drug offences and his probation officer doesnt know he is on Suboxone. If he test postive for Suboxone is he doing anything illegal?
I mean they are his pills and he has proof of perscription even know the perscritions are from months ago.
His parernt are upstanding members of the community and would vouch for him that they are his pills/perscriptions and that they administer the pills.
So is there anything wrong with this?... is it illegal?.... can it get him a probation violation?
Thanks so much for your help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read this first about an hour ago and have been thinking about it since. I honestly cannot answer your question. I think it depends on a lot of things. For example, if the PO found out about the Suboxone, how exactly would they determine that it's a legitimate prescription or not? Would they need confirmation of a doctor or would they just need to see the bottle? I'm assuming your friend has his bottles? But then the PO could easily look closely at the bottle(s) and see that they are expired. Unfortunately, I think your friend is in a tough spot.

I do have one suggestion though. Reckitt-Benckiser (manufacturer of Suboxone) has what's called a "patient assistance program" (PAP). Each doctor is allowed to have up to 3 patients on the PAP. It's for patients without insurance who couldn't otherwise afford sub treatment. Once accepted into the program, the medication is free for one year (no renewal). Your friend could make some calls to doctors and try to find one that has an open PAP spot. It's worth a try, right? Under the "Links" section of this forum, there is a post about this program. So if you need more info you should be able to find it there.

Sorry I don't have any better answers for you. Let us know what your friend decides to do.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:00 pm 
I had a similar situation kind of. I was testing positive for benzos when I first started probation from taking pure phenazepam powder. I was afraid to admit it so I told them "Ive been taking ativan" because i knew I had 5 ativan pills left in an old prescription I had gotten months earlier. They told me they need to see proof that I have an Rx. I just brought in my bottle the next appointment and he looked at it and said that its fine. The date on the bottle was months old and the Rx was for only 40 1mg tablets but he still didnt get suspicious. If your friend has the bottle and they arent passed expiration date (you said they were old so I dont know if you meant expired) then he will be fine.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

No they are not expired... his last filled perscrition was only several months ago.
I have done some research on this myself and came across some things that said that a perscrition for a narcotic was only good for 30 days (basically saying that the perscription is only good for the MONTH that it is written for)
This is not verified information, but it is worrysome, because it does make sence.
He is in withdrawl right now because he is scared to take his Suboxone since he was not been written a current perscrition in a couple months.
Does anyone know what the law is on something like this??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:19 pm 
The thing about "narcotic Rx only good for a month" does the info you read say that its only good because of legal reasons or because they can go bad after a month? If its saying they can go bad after 30 days than I know its a load of BS. Pharmacys have pills in stock for long periods of time before they sell them to customers, they dont throw them out every 30 days. Think of all the wasted product there would be if that was the case. Unless the PO knows how the suboxone program works and knows that you have to go see your Dr. for monthly/bi monthly visits then your friend will be fine. He had a valid Rx when he got the pills and they are in his name, there is nothing illegal being done. Its not a rule that you have to throw away all your pills if you decide to stop going to the doc, you paid for them and had the prescription and could be using them to taper. Not to mention my probation only has the 5 panel test that DOES NOT test for bupe. I get a test every monday and bupe never shows up, I know some probation departments supposedly test for bupe but I dont think its the norm. If I was your friend I would take the suboxone because he isnt doing anything illegal by doing so. Every prescription I get per month always has an expiration date of 1 year from the day I filled it so they def are good for that long and probably a lot longer. I have taken norcos before that my friend got out of his grandma's cupboard that were 5 years past the expiration date and they worked fine. Those expiration dates are just estimates.

Post subject: Rx dates
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The law is that the PAPER part of the Rx on controlled meds is 30 days,The actual pills themselves are dated good from 1 yera after you get them - However, that being said I live in N.Y. thats the law here. & if the person is on Probation...anything goes so to speak, unless he can renew the actual Rx he MIGHT have a problem....but then again, he may not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am on probation andcan try to help. I know my PO has to know every prescription I am on especially if they are any type of opiate or Benzo. She keeps in close contact with my Dr and will even do random home visits and count them or have me come in for a pill count. Before I fill anything with an opiate in it, she needs to know and will usually contact my Dr before I am allowed to fill it. If I don't inform her then I will get a PV, Probation Violation, and have once for not calling after hours. He needs to let his PO know everything that is prescribed to him to be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:47 am 
Maybe in your case he needs to do all of that I was just going by my experience and how it is with my probation. Im glad my probation officer is a complete dickhead like the one you have. All he wants is to see my pill bottle and then after that everything is in my hands, he doesnt pry into my business and talk to my doctor ever. Even if he did my doctor would probably explain to him that hes the doctor and knows whats best and in the nicest way possible tell him to kindly fuck off lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:49 am 
****Im glad my PO isnt a complete dick I meant

Post subject: Hmmmm.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's normal for people to reduce their doses of the meds their on and that ends up leaving leftover meds at the month's end. I think honesty is probably best. I haven't been in this situation, but I'd suspect that if he's caught in a lie, the Sub will become something he's not 'supposed' to do, since he didn't cop to it from the get go. If he shows the most recent bottle and says, "This was prescribed to me. I have medication left because I reduced my dose. I'm trying to figure out a way to pay for seeing a doctor, but I haven't been able to afford it for XYZ reasons. Hopefully I will soon. If you have any ideas about how I can find a doctor for a reduced fee, please let me know. Good thing I had this extra leftover to keep assisting me in my recovery" etc. etc.....I just cannot see him getting into trouble. The Sub WAS prescribed to him and it is HIS. Having extra shows that he was not abusing or selling it, which are both good things to show the PO. I do know that supposedly people are being tested for Sub now. Of course, what he's tested for and whether he's tested are up to his PO, but it's not as if he's buying Sub off the street, KWIM? He has a legitimate reason to be in possession of the Sub. So, he shouldn't have to lie, IMO.

laddertipper