It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Anyone
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Century Gothic] [/font]
Has anyone quit Dilaudid (large dose) cold turkey and stayed clean? Honestly....

If so, how long before your WDs stopped; the bad stuff, vomiting, chills, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 am 
I did a couple benders on k8 hydromorphone. Depends on what dose ur jumping from, really. Luckily for you. It has a short half life so it will be pretty extreme. But the duration of it will be merciful and fast. Even though every hour will feel like a day. After about 4 or 5 days the hell ends. Then begins the mental fight of letting your brain recharge it's self from all the strain the pills left ya. Yeah there are certainly people who are clean and stopped using D's. I'm not one of em. I'm still taking sub's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi KW,

dilaudid was my drug of choice and I tried to cold turkey many times but after a few weeks the PAWS would get to me and I would pick up again. I read your other thread and you said you are on 32mg/day injection. I was at about 20-32mg/day Insufflated depending on how much money I had. I have over 3 years now since I've had a dilaudid or abused full agonist opiates. I got on sub and started going to aa meetings and was able to change the way I think and act. After 2.5 years on sub 8mg I started to taper and am down to a very small microgram dose now, it hasn't been bad like I expected. And since I am not rushing to get off, I plan on slowly going into the single digit micrograms which of course is impossible to do with dilaudid.

If you are considering cold turkey from your level, I would get into a detox. I don't know where you're at with dependence vs. addiction but some people who become dependant thru pain management etc.. can be fine once withdrawal is over but IF you're an addict like me you will have to be vigilant for life.

-glen b

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

glen bee wrote:
Hi KW,

dilaudid was my drug of choice and I tried to cold turkey many times but after a few weeks the PAWS would get to me and I would pick up again.

IF you're an addict like me you will have to be vigilant for life.

ME TOO.... Only I never once made it over a week..... Off the Dilaudid OR methadone, either one.

It wasn't until suboxone, that I got more than 5-6 days, OFF of any of it.......

and I'd inject the dilaudid like you.....
So,, the w/d was pretty intense, In my opinion..... I could handle pretty much all of it, EXCEPT the NOT SLEEPING.... constantly feeling your muscles twitch and spasm like under your skin..... Uggghhhhhhh that's THE WORST, or at least it was for ME...

anyways,,, Got 22 months now.... wouldn't have anything NEAR that if it weren't for suboxone.

but yea, I agree too, about the detox facility IF cold turkey is what you want to do.
at least they could monitor ya there, and hopefully help you sleep.

Good luck in whatever route you go :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Glen, Will & Amber.

I want of this devil's serum ASAP. I have lost everything.

So, even with "comfort meds" you think I need a detox center? (I did it once at a detox center in Vegas but walked away after three days). I don't remember it being unbearable but it did suck. However, I was on a third of what I'm taking now. Those little 30 unit pins were so cute. Now I shoot twice with a one CC. Lord if I only knew where I was headed, I was off! I wish like hell I had stayed off.

When I first started main lining, a shot sent me to heaven. I felt overwhelmed with the warmth of an angelic hug. It was bliss. I remember I'd find my wife and just hug her. She wonder what the hell was going on and thought I'd gone nuts.lol. Now I don't get high, not much of anything. Why couldn't I just have stopped there!?!?!?

My plan was to use my left over comfort meds (as prescribed) from the detox center- Clonidine, promethazine, Valium (or phenabarbutal)and Imodium.

Do you think I can get through it again on these even though I'm taking triple the amount I was then?

Post subject: Afterwards
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 pm 

Hi KW,

It sounds like you have quite a habit going there. Even if you do succeed to go through the withdrawal process and come out the other side okay, what are your plans then? It's not the stopping that is so bad, it's our own brain afterwards telling us to keep trying to get that nice warm feeling you remember when you first mainlined it.

The same thing happens with alcoholics. We crave for that nice feeling we got when we first started drinking. I remember it being like I kissed bliss right on the lips! After that, we crave for that first feeling we got over and over again until we are all worn out and broken down. Even though you know that you can't get that feeling back, your addict brain is subconsciously whispering you can and will if you try it again.

Are you going to go to some NA meetings, see a therapist, or even read some self help books? It is just so hard to do this on our own. Even the 12 step meetings don't have great numbers of success. Maybe you can, and maybe you can't. But the cravings will come and keep coming until either you use or have enough time under your belt that you can deny them.

I can only speak for myself. Without some kind of support plan, I will fail and use again. That is why I stay on Suboxone for now. One day I might be ready to taper off it, but I will have some sort of plan for after care. I'm thinking about trying an addiction therapist when I do stop the Sub and see what they tell me to do to stay clean and sober.

Good luck getting off it. If you are hell bent to do this then I would suggest you try to taper down as low as you can before stopping. Sounds impossible, doesn't it? I hope you have the strength to pull it off and stay clean.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The comfort meds will help you to go thru withdrawl better. I still feel that after you complete the physical withdraw, you are going to probably have mental cravings. Suboxone induction on a low dose might help you so you never do morphine again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Kansas,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Rule has given you some good advice. I know you can make it through the detox, it's afterwards when you get bored, lonely, sad and all that crap. There's no fluffy pillow between you and the real world anymore to protect your feelings. That can be tough to handle. Learning to cope on your own can be very challenging and difficult, too.

I'd come up with a set plan of what you're going to do and how you're going to be able to actually do it. Lots of back up and support, a therapist and all that jazz. It's important to you and your recovery. Be kind to yourself!

Let us know how you're doing

-Jen