It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi everyone, I am curious if anyone knows anything about Effexor? I am on sub (tapering currently, as many of you all know) I hit a rough spell a week ago. Maybe dur to tapering, ,maybe due to external factors as well. (kids, teens, financial, same as everyone) So my general doctor perscribed me Effexor. Any info on the medication would be helpful. I would not consider myself depressed or a depressed person, but I have had issues recently that I have been having a hard time dealing with. SO this is why she thought I might benefit from this drug. My Sub doc. also knows about my tapering and when I inquired about clonodine he said my BP was way too low in general for me to benefit from clonidine so he gave me Vistaril and said he also perscribes this to treat patients who are also tapering/stopping sub. Just curious if anyone has any info they would like to share...Thanks a bunch..

Post subject: Sounds Odd
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:45 am 

Why would your doctor give you an anti-depressant if you aren't depressed? It just sounds weird. I also take Effexor. My doctor gave it to me after me asking for it. The reason being that I had planned on jumping off Sub very soon and wanted that to lessen the depression that comes with withdrawal. My plan was to taper off that once I had the Sub far enough behind me.

My wife says she's noticed a difference in me. Mostly less anxious and not doing obsessive compulsive stuff like constantly cleaning the kitchen and stuff like that. (very mild behaviors) I hadn't really noticed any change in my mental state and told her today I'd like to get off of it. My libido went south and it would be nice to have it back again. That is the only side effect I get from it.

As far as knowing about this drug, I really don't. All I know is my doctor tried almost every AD and I had terrible side effects with the exception of Effexor. Whether or not I stay on it will depend on if I taper and jump from Sub and if my wife really wants me to stay on it.

Sorry I couldn't give you more info. Do some Googling and see what comes up.

If I were you I'd ask more questions on why you were put on an AD in the first place. Just doesn't make sense to me but I'm not a doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Im not going down THAt road again.! I just read about effexor online. HELL NO I am NOT going on another thing I will have to taper off of eventually. I am glad I checked it out online. If I had done that with suboxone, at least I would have been better educated. I AM still curious about the Vistaril however. Thanks

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Vistaril is an antihistamine (like benadryl) that also has anti-anxiety effects. It can be somewhat sedating. It is also used to potentiate opioid medication, so it can increase the effects of opiates when they are taken together.

I've had it for anxiety and the best that I can say about it is that it's better than nothing. It might help you sleep. Maybe it works better for other people, so don't knock it until you try it. Antihistamines tend to make me grouchy, and vistaril is no exception, so that might explain why I didn't like it.

It's not habit forming like benzos, which is probably why doctors like to prescribe it, and you wouldn't have to worry about tapering off of it.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:11 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah... if you're not depressed, don't take Effexor.

Effexor is actually dependence forming. When they marketed it, they tried to avoid the word "withdrawal", so they came up with a new phrase... "Mild discontinuation syndrome"... and I tellsya, it's far from mild. It's withdrawal repackaged.

Strong anti-depressants / SNRI's like Effexor, Pristiq, Cymbalta... are all quite difficult to discontinue. Personally, I don't find it as hard to get off as Suboxone though. Unfortunately for me, SNRI's are the only ones that seem to work. But I avoid them at all costs.

They're extremely effective at making people feel happy. But there's something unnerving about feeling uplifted all the time. I questioned if I could have cried when a relative died. I also find them quite dangerous to my recovery, but that may just be me. Normally, when I'd feel like using, I'd call on all the dark depressing memories of addiction to stop me feeding into the craving. When I was on these SNRI's, I felt "blocked" from remembering dark memories. All I could remember in my past was the good times. I found it incredibly easy to relapse while on those drugs. But that's just my experience.

After my experience on SSRI/SNRI's, it's made me realise we need to have dark feelings to appreciate the good.

If you're not severely depressed, don't do it IMO. They're prescribed like candy. Venlafaxine is technically an amphetamine, and it certainly feels like one for the first week or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys for the imput.
I am not depressed although I have experienced symptoms of depression recently, linked to my tapering & various external factors. After reading the side effects and the "discontinuation syndrome" (really? )I WILL NOT touch effexor. I am anti pharm anyhow, but since have been I on the "sub ride" I have been trying to find something to snap me out of the winding downward spiral I have found myself in. I do not feel it always just occasionally and especially when the weight of the world is bearing down on me. I have to finally take my recovery & sanity into my own hands and realise I can not fix my friends, my kids, my parents, the world and pay for it all too. So I will get my a** moving and exercize, walk, breathe, sweat and smile to counteract my feelings of "blahzeiness"
Ok so I am now on 1mg starting today. 1/2mg. in the am and 1/2mg. in the pm. I will be here for a few weeks unless I feel fine. I will keep ya all posted. So far no need to take the Vistaril. I am also tapering very effectively off these benzos. I am now down to .05 once in the eve to help me sleep. (I did have anxiety upon waking for the past few days, but nothing unmanageable) Blessings to ALL....Sweet16

Post subject: Effexor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:28 pm 

Thanks Sweet16 for bringing up this subject. Now I am going to do a lot more research about Effexor and see what I'm in for when I get off it.

I was prescribed Effexor a few years ago and took it (75mg) for almost two months. It felt weird having a happy feeling that wasn't real so I decided to taper and quit with the assistance of my Dr. Maybe a person has to take it longer than 2 months but I did not have any ill effects tapering and stopping it. I skipped a day for a week, then two, etc, etc. Not one symptom of w/d did I experience.

This time I've been on it for about three months so maybe I won't have any problems quitting it again. Unfortunately my dose is double what it was last time so that may be a factor with w/d.

Now if I can just convince my wife of it. She said she really noticed a difference in me and wants me to stay on it. A discussion is in order once I do more research.

Thanks Again for bringing this topic up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on Effexor once and have nothing but positive things to say about it. I don't remember having any problems going off of it either and I think if it was bad, I'd remember it.

Just remember, with antidepressants, everyone has to find the one that works for them. It's trial and every for everyone. There aren't any good or bad ones - it's what works for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule, you are welcome. I just read the side effects and since for myself, a lot of pharms do the exact opposite of what they are suppose to do, I try to stay away from them as much as possible. I realze that so much of what i am feeling is tapering, life, and me not practicing Bikrams yoga. I just have to get motivated to get back in the game. I have been so consumed by this sub stuff and the tapering that I have no energy for much else. I will be so glad to finally be off everything and get back to my happy, energetic, positive & motivated self, that everyone (including myself) loves. The sun is shining and I will get out to make sure it shines on me. It makes all the difference. BTW, I am also the type that is constantly cleaning the kitchen counters and stove, just fidgeting arount the house to pass excess energy. it drives many people nuts. I may have been a great canidate for some OCD meds, but if I am gone doing stuff outside of the house, I am generally too tired when I get home to give a crap about the counters and every little thing being in its exact spot down to the to the centimeter. Also RULE, I wanted to check in and find out how you are doing with your health issues? I sure hope you recover and no more surgeries. I like knowing there are married couples that support one another in their life issues. I hope you and your wife can agree on the best option for your situation

Hatmaker is absolutely right, and I know the benefit that people get from the proper medication is HUGE. SO I am not at all discorageing anyone from taking meds for their individual issues. For myself I take the alternative healing route and it works miracles for me.

Tear, thank you for clairifying the effexor stuff. Def not my cup of tea. I am happy go lucky type and I like feeling my moods ebb and flowe just fine. I really have a hard time being dependant on a medication. I worry if a major catastrophy were to happen and I can not obtain my meds, what then? And a speed kind of med is even further from my desires. I used to be an amphetamine user. I have horror memories of those days. Do not want to get mixed up in anything that will bring back that addiction. I have an addictive personality like many of us on this forum. I can just see myself abusing those too...
DOAQ~I will keep the vistaril on hand in case I need it. My doc was clear that I should not take it unless absolutely necessary. So that is what I will do. I the fact that it is Not habit forming is even all the better. I appreciate the info you provided.
Thanks again for the support here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on effexor a long time ago and if I would forget to take it in the morning I would feel extremely dizzy and horrible by lunch time. I was young and didn't realize I was dependant on it. I made the decision to get off it, I also hated the side effects.

However all ad's affect everyone extremely different so my experience will not be everyone's experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i used to take vistaril, it worked a little but then it stopped, it also gave me dry mouth because it is essentially an atihistamine (SP). im also on effexor, started on it in august of this year and it has helped me immesley. I just dropped my dose down to half of what it used to be (im taking 37.5 mg's now) and its helping my anxiety and depression alot. When i first started i had some side effects such as lower sex drive (which eventually i worked through) and some constipation. if you have constipation issues you probably wont want to be on a high dose of effexor. i also had slight headaches but they went away after the first week as well as the high sort of feeling it gave me. So if you do start on it, just give it a chance thats my only advice. i dont want to be on it forever but i was very anxious (i havebeen on sub almost two years) and had some depression which is just probably associated with change in brain chemistry and rebooting on my system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

oh i also tapered off of it a month ago but started taking it again and it was nothing. dont read the horror stories on the internet because most of those people are on 300 mg's a day and have been taking it for years. anyways, nothing else worked for me, i have literally tried every anti depressant available and none of them work except zanax which i cant take. also almost all of them have w'd when you get off of them, most common being the brain zaps, prozac, cymbalta, they all have them. i was just at the point where i would rather deal with more tapering then crying every day and awful anxiety.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:26 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

sweet16 wrote:
Hi everyone, I am curious if anyone knows anything about Effexor? I am on sub (tapering currently, as many of you all know) I hit a rough spell a week ago. Maybe dur to tapering, ,maybe due to external factors as well. (kids, teens, financial, same as everyone) So my general doctor perscribed me Effexor. Any info on the medication would be helpful. I would not consider myself depressed or a depressed person, but I have had issues recently that I have been having a hard time dealing with. SO this is why she thought I might benefit from this drug. My Sub doc. also knows about my tapering and when I inquired about clonodine he said my BP was way too low in general for me to benefit from clonidine so he gave me Vistaril and said he also perscribes this to treat patients who are also tapering/stopping sub. Just curious if anyone has any info they would like to share...Thanks a bunch..

I have taken just about all the ad's inluding effexor. I really don't think any of them helped me..I never felt anything from them. I was on Lexapro last. I guess the effexor work as well as any and I really had no trouble tapering off of it. You do have to taper off all these ad's to avoid withdrawal. We used to give vistaril with demeral to increase the effects of the demeral. Vistaril is also given for nausea and back in the day we gave it to kids with chickenpox to keep them from scratching the pox sores...so it was good for itching. Doctors do give it for nerves, basically because it is not addictive ,but in my opinion it doesn't do a damn thing for one's anxiety. Atarax is another name for vistaril.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SNRI withdrawal must be like buprenorphine withdrawal, in that some people seem to get away with it.

I've been on Effexor / Pristiq a few times now, and I found a trick that actually seems to halt the withdrawal completely. I discovered it the first time I jumped off Efexxor. I was suffering bad nausea, brain zaps and really vivid nightmares. Overall, for me, often I struggled to function because of it. One afternoon I wanted relief and I "caved", and since I had no Effexor left, I took one of my partner's leftover Paxil from years ago. A couple of hours later, withdrawal gone. Funny thing was, it didn't return!

I used that trick maybe 3 or 4 times again, and it worked every time! My psychiatrist even tried it on a patient who was hospitalised for Pristiq withdrawal, and it worked for them as well.

I only agree to going on these medications when the depression affects my ability to work & function & have a social life.

Sweet16, anhedonia (the inability to feel pleasure & enjoyment) is a really common part of early recovery. Given our opioid receptors have been so used to the presence of a powerful opioid, our petty natural endorphins don't make the same impact, at least for a while. But it does get better with time.