It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm trying to just see how people deal with a short time on subutex. I'm only planning on being on it for month at most. For financial reasons mainly. (Can't find a doctor who will take me even with insurance, and forced to pay $17 a day at clinic) it adds up to over $500 a month. Too much for my minimum wage job. So as I'm slowly running out of money, I am going from 4 to 2mg subutex tmr. From 2mg I'm not sure they will let me go down to 1mg from there... They said they only have 2mg and 4 mg pills. So I don't understand why they can't just cut the 2mg in half to make 1 and done! But anyway please let me know if anyone been thru this what did you do???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What type of opioid/opiate were you taking and at what dose before starting the subutex? Personally, I noticed dependency when I was on sub for two weeks. After two months I had some pretty nasty withdrawal. Take it for two weeks or less if possible. Dosing isn't an exact science either. I'd say start with 1 mg and go up if you need to. 4 mg is too much for most people.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello
I really feel for you. From what I have read and been told, relapse is very common with short term sub usage. I know you cannot afford it and that's a very big problem in your country.
Sorry I cant help. Iv been on 24mg slowly going up for a month and know it would be relapse city if I was to taper off even in the next month.
Any chance a family or friend could help financially, as 1 month just doesn't seem enough (in my eyes, and im no professional)for a successful outcome.

Good luck and keep posting here for support Everyone is so helpful and supportive plus!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So the *first time* I was on subutex I did maybe 60 days at 8mg/day, then stopped without having any memorable withdrawals. This was after 2yrs IV heroin use, and although I didn't get sick I also wasn't away from my DOC long enough to have stopped craving it. So, big surprise, I relapsed and went on using for another three months before getting back on subs (zubsolv technically). I was on subs for two years (@16mg/day) until I went cold turkey at 8mg. That was I think 17 days ago. And I'm still feeling the WDs. They have been more than memorable this time : /

I mention all this because IF you can use one Rx of subs to avoid going through full-agonist withdrawal you MIGHT be able to get by with little to no sickness after stopping the subs, if this is your first run on them. (Standard caveat: Everyone is different, depends on your history with opioids, genetics/physiology etc etc). However, I must second the other posters' concern about the possibility of relapsing. I don't want to undermine your confidence, just a heads up that slouching on your recovery post subs can bite one in the ass quite quickly. Perhaps consider signing up for low-cost health insurance or even Medicaid if you're in the US and your state is civilized about it? Other than that, just follow the people, places, and things rules as best as possible (ie, friends who use, places to cop, things involved in using, etc. I got the itch to use and relapsed after just seeing a needle being used in a movie, for instance). Anyway, just my two cents. And good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

P.S. That is, follow the rule to *avoid* said people, places, and things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is not my first time on sub's, its actually my second. First time I was on suboxone for about 8 months. No really memorable WD. I do remember my hair falling out really bad on them and now that I look back I realize it was from the sub's. But that's yet another reason why im not staying on long. I just want to be a normal functioning member of society with a good job and not living with my parents. I can't do that right now. Im going to an aa meeting today at noon. I know I can't do this on my own and need support. Its not a walk in the park and I feel like when you mess with these strong drugs (methadone, subutex, etc) your playing with fire. I'm not the same person as I was a couple years ago , abusing pain pills and whatever else I could find and just generally not giving a shit. I don't want to be like that anymore I want to be respected in life and I want my family to be proud of me. Anyways omg I'm rambling so bad. But I've been on 2mg now for a couple days and I'm not gonna lie I feel a little anxiety but I'm hanging in there.

My main concern is that when I try to make an appointment with sub Dr they are going to think I'm trying to get drugs doctor shop or whatever. I honestly am ashamed to tell anyone I'm going to the clinic. They automatically think your just some junkie. I have health insurance (bcbs) so you would think it would be easy but the first few places I've tried have either not called me back or just flat out won't take me. I guess I am just going to have to jump off from 2mg and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:29 pm 

I think that your attitudes/opinions about opiate addiction and the use of buprenorphine as a treatment are somewhat ignorant and potentially harmful to you. I encourage you to do some actual research instead of just relying on what you've heard at a meeting or the street.

Go to:

http://www.samhsa.gov/

https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topic ... on-science

http://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/p ... renorphine

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Bumble,

I agree with Amy that it sounds like you need to gain a better understanding of Buprenorphine and its role in treating opioid addiction. Going cold turkey is a prescription for disaster. While finding a caregiver in some areas is very challenging, it is well worth the effort, especially when you consider the alternatives.

My main concern is that when I try to make an appointment with sub Dr they are going to think I'm trying to get drugs doctor shop or whatever. I honestly am ashamed to tell anyone I'm going to the clinic. They automatically think your just some junkie. I have health insurance (bcbs) so you would think it would be easy but the first few places I've tried have either not called me back or just flat out won't take me. I guess I am just going to have to jump off from 2mg and hope for the best.

No one should think ill of you seeking a doctor to treat your addiction, or think you're "doctor shopping". Explain that you need a doctor that accepts your insurance. I would suggest calling your insurance company and asking them for a list of doctors that provide Sub treatment and accept BCBS.

Please keep us posted,
Morphing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm going to try again tomorrow. Hopefully I can get somewhere. I don't think jumping off at 2mg is a smart idea at all and I can't believe the clinic does it this way. No wonder nobody ever gets off the stuff at that place. They've had people on it for years.