It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm 24 years old, I've been clean from heroin for almost 4 years and I recently found out that I am a little over 6 weeks pregnant. I'm currently on a bit of a laundry list of medications, mostly at very small doses, all prescribed, and all very medically necessary. I take daily: 1mg suboxone, 1mg klonopin, 60mg Cymbalta, and 1 Benadryl (25mg) at night (and of course prenatals now, too). I would love to at least cut all of these medications down to the lowest possible doses that I can handle... But I have HUGE amounts of anxiety about actually *switching* any of the medications :/ I'm very chemically dependent on all of them and suffer severe withdrawal from missing even one dose for a few hours, of any of them. I have some health problems, and nervous system issues, pain and severe anxiety, so stopping any of these medications is very ill-advised. My doctor is aware of all of my medications.
My question is this: has anyone remained on suboxone film instead of switching to subutex due to being on such a low dose? I cannot stand the sublingual pills, they make me sick.. I hate subutex. The film strips can be so easily folded, cut with scissors, and very precisely dosed for tiny doses. I'm currently on 1mg, but I plan to try to taper down VERY slowly (I cannot handle an abrupt or even normal taper) and cutting a strip just seems so much more logical than trying to eye ball some subutex pill crumbs. My doctor actually agreed with me when I mentioned this, but as we all know, doctors do a lot of guesswork.
So far my baby is healthy, and I have been having perfect pregnancy symptoms and everything. No one ever actually states what the negative effects of naloxone in utero could be, it's always just stated that it "isn't good" for the baby.. But the amount I'm taking seems so minuscule. There's only .25mg of naloxone in 1mg of suboxone. I don't want to hurt my baby, but I really don't want to switch medications if it isn't necessary, especially when I'm hoping to taper down even further in a calculated manor, which I couldn't do with subutex. Does anyone have any possible insight? Is there anyone else that remained on suboxone due to it being film strips as opposed to pills? My doctor hasn't switched me yet and knows, but he takes my word for a lot of things since he knows I do my research. Anyone with any words of wisdom is much appreciated! Thank you :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:31 pm 

xrobotlove,

Sorry no one responded to your post. It is a very unique question and one that most of us would like the answer to.

I agree with you that the amount you're on is so small what harm could come of it? Please do some more research on other sites and if you can find out anything will you please post it here? You could do a search for naloxone and see if it is harmful to an unborn child. And if so, in what milligrams? I bet you'll have a perfectly healthy and normal baby. But do try to cut down some more before the big day. Taper very slowly and only a little at a time. Give your body some time to adjust.

I wish you the best,

rule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You didn't ask but I would be much more concerned about the Klonapin. It is a class D drug with known risks for the baby. I'll be surprized if that prescription is continued. I do not intend to provoke your anxiety but please research and discuss with your doctors. In the past ladies I have known or treated were quickly weaned off any benzo's. I include in my visits discussions pre-pregnancy risks of any meds they are taking.
PAX
DocM

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:44 am 
New Poster
New Poster

docm2 wrote:
You didn't ask but I would be much more concerned about the Klonapin. It is a class D drug with known risks for the baby. I'll be surprized if that prescription is continued. I do not intend to provoke your anxiety but please research and discuss with your doctors. In the past ladies I have known or treated were quickly weaned off any benzo's. I include in my visits discussions pre-pregnancy risks of any meds they are taking.
PAX
DocM

Newer research actually disproves the previous theories that klonopin causes birth defects. Apparently, those studies were not only ancient but very innacurate, using falsified information, one-sided tests, and "pick-and-choose" results. Newer research is suggesting that there is near to no more risk of developing birth defects than of those whose mothers were not medicated. The klonopin I did A LOT of research on, because I was terrified of all the horror stories I had heard! Then I found several support groups for women who chose to stay on the medication, and read the NEW studies being done. The studies are now controlled (using a variable and a control group. Ie, women on klonopin and women not on klonopin, as opposed to previous studies which only studied women on klonopin. This way, they were able to show that the risk did not increase). Thank you for your concern, I was very concerned too. I've actually had to teach my doctors about my medications, then they'd go home and research it themselves, and call me back and tell me that I was absolutely right. I wish outdated information would stop being spread! I also wish it were possible to test on pregnant women for medications somehow, but that's clearly a pickle in it's own.

I have been doing research on suboxone vs subutex and cannot find any substantial evidence to prove one is really much more safe than the other. I'm still looking though and I would not call my findings conclusive just yet.
Oh, and baby is healthy still so far! Me, on the other hand, feeling like utter crap all day everyday ;p I've been splitting my dose because no matter what I take in the morning, I start withdrawing at night. If I take .75 to 1mg in the morning, I withdraw just the same as when I only take .5mg in the morning. So I've been taking .5mg in the morning and maybe like a .25mg itty bitty sliver at night just so I can sleep. I have never been a 2-dose-a-day person, not since my first year on suboxone (I'm in my 4th year). Has anyone else had to split their dose, regardless of milligram? I can't imagine these very strong withdrawal symptoms could be psychosomatic because they keep me awake tossing and turning if I don't take it the second time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I had my baby 2 years ago I stayed on 4 mg of sub strips the entire time. He was discharged after 3 days with no withdrawal symptoms. I am pregnant again and switched to subutex. There is a part of me that wonders if I should have stayed on the sub strips.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Comment was deleted (for the most part)

Not trying to be a jerk but....(Amy edit Too Late!)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have heard of other moms that don't or aren't switched to subutex when pregnant. I think the general practice is to switch just so that the unborn child isn't exposed to anything more than absolutely necessary. There is very limited research (if any) in the effects naloxone on a developing fetus, so the recommendation is to switch only because there is no evidence whether it is harmful or not. In my own experience, I did not have any particular effects after switching from the suboxone to subutex, other than maybe feeling the films absorbed a little bit better for me than the subutex tabs. I've maintained my maintenance dose for the most part my entire pregnancy, other than a slight adjustment early in my third trimester to account for increased blood volume and my noticing that I wasn't getting the same effect I had been. But I also use the sub for pain management as well and decreased pain relief was the only symptom I had that indicated and changes needed to be made. Best of luck with your pregnancy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know this is a few months okd but I just wanted to tell you what my doctor told me. First let me say that as far as suboxone goes, you are obviously on a VERY low dose. I was on suboxone for about 2 months while pregnant and then my dr switched me to subutex. He said that it would have been perfectly safe to stay on the suboxone but since subutex has one less narcotic in it, he figured that he would just switch me so I would have the minimum amount of narcotics in my system while pregnant. Anyways, thats all. Hope everything is going well with you and your pregnancy.