It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I first started to use Suboxone here and there to help maintain. Now I'm in a program 129 days strong.

I've noticed that a few gums on my bottom teeth on either side are receding. I've never had this problem. However, I am highly sensitive to citrus/acidic products, and am not sure if the ingredients in suboxone could trigger this. This side effect(?) isn't the end of the world, the benefits definitely outweigh where my life was headed. (orange/tomato, ect gives me canker sores and rips my mouth up so badly I can not consume at all.)

I can't swear to it, but it seems like there is a correlation. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks and take care!
(I did report it to the "Here to Help" program, but they didn't have an answer for me.)

MK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi MissKitten and welcome to the forum. As far as I know, there's no evidence that suboxone caused any tooth or gum problems. Keep in mind that something like receding gums takes years to happen, so the possibility that sub could be responsible is highly suspect. But that's just my opinion.

Again, welcome to the forum. I hope you find as much support here as I have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, appreciate the response(s). I took Sub for about 2 years to help maintain (you know, the back and forth, back and forth) but not every single day. Before I was in a program it was starting to become noticeable. Its not really visible to anyone but myself.

I should add that while I don't get full out canker sores under my tongue, the tissue is irritated. I'm interested to know if the generic Subutex has the same flavoring, ect... (especially since I lose my health insurance Aug 31st!!!)

I also get canker sores far more regularly now, where as before it only would happen when I would too many acidic foods.

Who knows. I did a lot of crystal meth as a teenager (it's been 13 yrs), and am still suffering from dental repercussions. I know Crystal can harden the blood vessels that supply nutrients to your teeth, but I've never had gum problems before.

Anyway, thank you for your response!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

One more thing - I recall one person on this forum who had an unusual allergy to, I think, the artificial sweetener in suboxone. I think it caused sores in her/his mouth. This person switched to subutex and has been fine. You might want to check into that possibility. Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

oooohhhhh that's helpful! I'm "medically fragile" to put it diplomatically. I have a lot of food allergies, and now that I am off pills am eating healthy (no corn syrup, preservatives, ect).

I either do not tolerate meds well, or have a freakishly high tolerance even when I haven't taken the med before. There are loads of foods and meds I cannot take.

thanks again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK i recently switched from suboxon to subutex and there is no flavor just like a regular pill but desolves faster tast pretty bad the first few times but I got used to it not that bad if you think you are having problems with it and your not a IV drug user talk to your doctor about switching mine let me after a year its cheaper to I hope I was of some help good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks,
I was wondering bout the subutex... good to hear that it doesn't have the flavoring. I've never been an IV drug user... when i give blood i curse my veins, but when i was smokin' 80's like they were cigarettes, I'm glad I never had that option!
MK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you get a very dry mouth while on suboxone?

I'm aware that people on methadone get receding gums from a combination of the cottonmouth, and their insatiable desire to eat foods high in sugar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The chronic dry mouth caused by opiate use (including Suboxone) can be hell on your teeth and gums. I never had a cavity in my life (34 years) before I started abusing opiates, now I have several.

When I was on Sub I used a toothpaste called Biotene that has some enzymes or something in it that help allieviate some of the dry mouth issue. I thought it helped quite a bit. I also tried to stay really hydrated and rinsed my mouth with saltwater (helps prevent bacteria from growing) a couple of times per day.

-Jack Kornfield