It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi @all,

I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and looking for reports and experiences from other moms who had a baby on a low dose of buprenorphine (< 0.2 mg per day). I did a lot of research, checked the available literature, but wasn't able to find any study that included mothers who took less than 0.4 mg per day. The usual dose range seemed to be high dose buprenorphine between 4 and 24 mg. In this range NAS seems to be not dependent on dose, but I have serious doubt that this also holds true for doses in the microgram range. Given that the baby receives less than 10% of the maternal dose, my daughter should get less than 5-10 ug per day, I'm on 0.05 - 0.1 mg per day (about one quarter to a half of a Temgesic 0.2 mg tablet).

So please, tell me about your experiences! Did your baby have NAS, did it need medication? For how long?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi an welcome! I have 4 children but didn't have any of them on bup. What I can tell you is from my readings most babies are just fine at much higher doses than you are taking. It seems most have very mild or possibly no withdrawls at all. I say possibly because there are a lot of similarities between NAS symptoms and normal newborn behavior.

Based on my non medical opinion you shouldn't have anything to worry about at that low of a dose. Like you said the baby is only getting a small percentage of your dose and I can't imagine that tiny bit could do much. I would definately watch your baby closely and unless you feel its necesary I would make sure they do not start him/her on morphine. I can't imagine it being needed by a baby that is on such a miniscule dose. I would think even if you noticed some mild symptoms your baby would do much better to just be consoled and held by his/her mom.

Obviously I am not a Dr, so take what I say in that regard. Get as informed on the subject as you can so you will be able to advocate for what your child needs. Congratulations on your coming baby and I am very optimistic your baby will be just fine.