It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So,...its official. I have now been OFF of that evil medication for 101 days! Nevvvvver imagined I could say those words... OFF- except I don't think I am feeling the proper amount of... pride? For choosing to stop taking Suboxone. The thing is, I have IC (a bladder condition that causes me to be extremly fatigued, and listless at times), and I also have ADD and have since I was a kid in elementary,... So about 8 weeks after I withdrew from the Suboxone (ABSOLUTE HELL as you know if you read my other posts during that time)- I went to see my doctor, who I spoke w/ about these issues- mostly though, my main concern being off Subs, was energy level. Sounds strange, bc Bupe is a downer drug, but for me... the past 5 yrs taking it- it sort of became my little go to whenever I needed a lil bit of a jolt- usually before work, class, or going out. So I expressed these fears to my Doc (who obviously knows about my past and history with drug abuse)... and he suggested we put me on a low dose of Ritalin. First he mentioned Adderall, but this was originially my issue in the first place, and the reason I sought treatment-- which by the way, I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND why the rehab I went to put me ON SUBOXONE when my "DOC" was amphetamines. Anyways, I've been taking the Ritalin now for about a month, and am noticing old addictive patterns coming to the surface... ones I was SURE I could handle if I were to try this medication out. I KNEW it was a stimulant, and a controlled substance, and likely couldn't handle taking the pills AS PERSCRIBED. Like they say... one is too many, a thousand is never enough."
Anyway, I thought this was an interesting topic to bring up on the forum... have yet to see someone post askin the same kind of thing. What I am wondering... to all of you who were brave and strong enough to KICK SUBOXONES ASS to the curb- permanently!- .....what about afterwards? What i mean, as addicts, its a fair assumption to think that being off EVERYTHING for once... became increasingly difficult to do... Just wondering, wanting to hear about some others stories, if ever in the position. What medication did you start taking, or what drugs did you start doing... AFTER SUBOXONE, and what was the experience like? Thank you in advance for sharing, as I'm pretty mixed up about all of this. HOPE ALL are doing well out there!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Have you ever tried wellbutrin? I have ADHD and some depression and anxiety. I had doctors in the past recommend wellbutrin but for some reason I never even gave it a shot. After being off suboxone for a few months I started wellbutrin and was SHOCKED at the immediate help it gave me. I do take adderall occasionally but stims have never been my thing so addiction isn't an issue there - but the wellbutrin has been nothing short of a miracle. It helps with the ADHD symptoms and also tremendously with the depression. If your DOC before was stims then yes, you're on a slippery slope.

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's interesting. I've recently seen a few friends who were ex Subbers / ex methadoners / ex heroin addicts turn to alcohol as their main coping mechanism. It's quite sad to see, and I suspect that a couple of them will probably end up bottoming out and back in rehab within a year or two because of it.

I'm working a total abstinence based program at the moment. With no drugs to turn to, you see people in NA grab for other non-substance related addictions, like gambling, relationships and sex. My problem lies with the latter two. But that's okay. It sure beats being tied down to a pharmacy / dealer for a fix. And it's a shitload cheaper.

In my country there's been dexamphetamine prescribing programs for people dependent on crystal meth / speed / ice. Perhaps the doctor is just putting you on a pharma more appropriate for your addiction?

I still think medicine is in the dark ages with addiction treatment, when their only answer to tackle opiate addiction is to prescribe opiates.