It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Some people deserve the attitude. They try to get their refills too early and make up bs stories and excuses. Or they're so broke, that they buy only a few pills at a time instead of picking up the whole refill, which means the pharmacists are basically filling 3 or 4 scripts for no more money than filling one. Or they call the pharmacy several times bugging them about when their refill will be ready, or they speak rudely to the staff because they're starting to go into withdrawal.

But today I dropped off my slip at walgreens drive thru and this is how it went

The pharmacist says she has to check and see if its in stock. There is an unusually long time, but then the manager of the pharmacist who was helping me approaches the window (who I believe is new to the location)

Her: "You've been on this medication for over a year! I don't agree with how your doctor is treating you! You're supposed to be weening off this medication!"

Me: "He is. This refill is 20% less pills than before. That's ironic that the first time you guys have ever complained about this, is the first time that I am getting fewer pills.

Her: "But you didn't get any in July? What happened with July?"

Me: "Ummm, you guys didnt have the medication in stock, so I went to CVS and got it"

Her: "Okay well, you should have already been off this medication a long time ago!"

Me: There's two ways this medication is used, short term, and long term maintenance.

Her: "Well, I still don't agree with how long you've been taking this medication."

Me: "It's better than shooting heroin, don't you think?"

Her: (completely stunned and flabbergasted) What?

Me: "I said it's better than shooting heroin, don't you think?"

Her: (unable to think of a response)

Her: Well we don't have the medication in stock.

Me: Okay, well then this conversation was pointless. Thanks anyways. Bye

So I took it to CVS, and they were polite and did not treat me like I was a leper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 pm 

That is completely unprofessional behavior on their part. They do not have a doctors degree and have no business acting like one. The education they get is pharmacology plus whatever else they teach in school. Next time ask to see their medical license and whether or not you'll be charged for the visit. (being facetious)

Some people have the gall to question your doctors diagnosis w/o knowing any other details except the medication you're on. I call bull#@*% on that one. Good call on going somewhere else. I would personally write a letter to the CEO of the company and tell them what you told us. Too bad you don't have it on video or a voice recorder.

I am a big fan of writing letters. Not email, real typed out letters with a Postal Service stamp on the envelope. They get so few of those it tends to get read. They will probably call the pharmacist and ask why they are asking a customer those questions. Why let the people who are supposed to be serving you get away with such disservice? As we said in the old days: "Drop dime on them". It will rattle their cage with any luck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've always been told always be nice to your waiters and pharmacists..both can make or break your day lmao..honestly though it's like it's not even their business when you need to stop taking the meds..

With that said I have delt with pharmacists who like to play "God" when it comes to my meds. Def when it comes to suboxone. When the doc and the insurance says it's good to fill then don't give me any sass..a little over year ago my doc wrote me a RX for 35 days because she was going to be on vacation around the time I would run out of a 30 day supply..so instead of filling it short she went over which I appreciated so that I didnt have to pay the doc visit so quickly again..anyways I didn't realise until I went to fill that my co pay would be double since it was more then 30 days..I only had the exact amount on me and didn't have my wallet so I asked the pharmacist if they can give me just my 30day supply and I'll come back in a couple days to get the rest when I grab my wallet..was told sure no problem..biggest mistake..it's like they totally forgot that arraigment and treated me like I was trying to get an early fill..It took 5hours and a couple calls from my doc for them to treat me decent and give the rest to me that was suposed to be filled initially..all they kept saying to,me was you shouldn't need the strips yet..and I would say I don't but I was suposed to get a 35 day supply and im missing 5 days worth which we already discussed..needless to say since then if I cant get them all at once I go to different pharmacy..I can do without the judgment.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:06 pm 

I agree with you Dan. Kill them with kindness.
For 5 years ive gone to the same Walmart pharmacy. I ve always made it a point to "make friends" or educate techs AND the phar management. While it may seem we get the odd coldness from some of these people, I have had little trouble. Until.......... I was moved into a 2 month group where we get one extra refill. The first 8 months, fine. Then back in May we get a new Phar manager. You guessed it, "oh,there are No refills for suboxone " needs the dr to call" we had a chat witch she filled but wanted more Authorized calls.
Staying calm and knowing you are in the right always wins. My caseworker made a call and it was fine. Until......lol, I go up last monday and the tech became confused on the refill. Plus, there s a newer guy filling rx that day. It went fine but the tech said she has Never seen a refill for sub before.. Education before anger.

Is it any wonder though. ? The attitude of the press and feelings toward drug addiction today. Over all is our recovery harder now than when I began 6 years ago?At least here in the East. ?? Idk....

Razor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Its tough not to take it personally. Recently I got a call from a pharmacist regarding a patient. Basically, 'how long you going to keep them on this crap.' 3 deep breaths. OK, you were fine filling their scripts from other doctors for the last 12 years. The final two years they were on the equivalent of 600 mg morphine a day. AND NOW, you are concerned. After that they were able to listen to my spiel and hopefully they are on board for the long term.
Pharmacists are being asked to take a more active role in patient care. They are still sorting it out, some will be overbearing but I think most will get it right in the long run. They are invaluable with great feedback when it comes to considering drug-drug interactions and alternatives.
We aren't the only ones. Go to a forum regarding birth control, or morning after pills and you can see the same problem we are dealing with, except we don't have to deal with the religious whackos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I returned to the pharmacy today, and she was there, so I asked for her name, she gave me her first name, but she was not so happy about me getting her last name, but I did. I will be sending a formal complaint. I believe that she may have even broken HIPPA laws with her comments.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is amazing! And shocking!

I've had a couple of judgemental pharmacists over the years, but none who would ever even consider playing doctor like that. That's a different thing entirely.

I've only had pharmacists setup rules for those they dispense methadone / Suboxone for that state the patient is not allowed to browse the store without an assistant by their side. This is usually because addicts like to pinch things, even from their dispensing pharmacy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Teejay wow..thats so crazy they would have someone watching or at their side because of the stigma..luckily for me lying was my worst trait with my addiction I never had to steal..but it's the way it is while being an addict..we are all liars and thieves.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:33 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Keith, I would be super angry about that too. That is completely out of the scope of the pharmacist's job. I have never had anything that bad happen, but, recently the pharmacists have been real sketchy. A few things to note: 1) I have known these pharmacists and have good relationships with them for the past 8 years. 2) I never had problems getting Vicodin, Percocet, and Tramadol filled at the same time- from 2 different doctors- same pharmacists as recently as one year ago. Never even questioned.
3)I started taking generic Bup/Nal tablets and never had a problem getting them filled ( it was almost like they didn't realize it was generic Suboxone).

I switched to Suboxone strips in June- just felt I was absorbing them better- same dose- 8 mg, nothing crazy. The first time they "couldn't find that script from my doctor"- he sends them electronically- he had sent others, no problem. When they finally "found" it they said it was written wrong, I had to call my doctor and have him resend it. Then it wasn't in stock. Finally did get it the next day. Figured it was just a Snafu.

Second time the script was for 30 and they only had 24 in stock (weird number, right?). I asked for a partial and they refused to give it to me, saying that they couldn't give partial fill on a controlled substance. I argued about that, but got nowhere. I could either wait for two days when the order came in or take the 25 and my doctor would have to write a whole new script for 5 films! Also meaning I have to pay another copay. I was completely out (if you've read my posts you know I don't have a stockpile) and probably could have waited but didn't want to. So I took the 25 and tried to explain this to my doctor. He was like- that makes no sense. So he called them, talked to the pharmacy manager and explained that that was not a law, and that he checked with CVS corporate office and it was not a CVS policy. She finally gave in and said it was just something they don't like to do at that pharmacy, but she will make sure it doesn't happen again.

Third time- I have 2 other scripts sent in by my doctor besides Suboxone. Within 5 minutes of him sending them I get a text from CVS saying they are ready to be picked up but no Suboxone on the list. Now, I talked to the pharmacist the day before, she said, we have them in stock, and will set them aside for you to fill tomorrow. So, I'm like, what could the problem be? I call. Whoever I spoke to said, "yeah, we are working on it but our computer won't let us put a code in". Hmm. Ok. " The computer system is not working", yet, they were able to get the other meds filled. If you can just give us awhile. I said, well I was going to come around 4pm ( it's 11am)- she said "oh, I know I'll need more time than that, we are just swamped here today." What? If the computer gets fixed and all you have to do is put in a code and the medication is sitting right there, what is the problem? At this point I'm losing my cool because it now seems that there is always a problem getting this medication, even when I know it is sitting on the shelf for me. I took a deep breath and said, ok, can you just transfer it to the CVS down the road? She says , "oh, we can't transfer a controlled substance", and again I'm like, yes, you can! ( then remembering another thread about can or can't you transfer a medication that hasn't been filled yet, and the way pharmacies have misinterpreted what a "refill" is") Finally this woman says, hold on and puts the pharmacy manager on the phone and she said "Tragicom (maybe that's my real name, lol), we just put the script through again and everything worked. It will be ready in one hour." And it was.
If I have any trouble next time, so help me God. I actually didn't believe that pharmacists or even techs were judging or caring what meds anyone is taking. People have other things to worry about. But I'm starting to change my mind. And after you've been given all the run around and you start to get frustrated I start to feel like I'm acting like a strung out junkie, when all I really want is my medication. I'd probably feel the same way if I got shit every time I tried to get my blood pressure medication. And what bothers me the most is what I said above, they had no problems filling my schedule II opioids. Why have a problem with a schedule III, addiction treating, lifesaving medication?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:43 am 

keith227 wrote:
I returned to the pharmacy today, and she was there, so I asked for her name, she gave me her first name, but she was not so happy about me getting her last name, but I did. I will be sending a formal complaint. I believe that she may have even broken HIPPA laws with her comments.

Keith, you are absolutely in the right and it makes me angry the crap you had to deal with from her!!

Allow me to give you some more ammunition, because you could sue her based on federal law that is even tougher than HIPAA. Here's a link to 42 CFR Part 2:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c ... .2&idno=42

Here is a FAQ section about confidentiality regulations outlined above:

https://www.samhsa.gov/about-us/who-we- ... tions-faqs

And this is an interesting article regarding the regulations:

http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2017/04/1 ... fr-part-2/

On page 14 of this brochure for pharmacists, Indivior, which makes Suboxone, details the confidentiality requirements that pharmacists should be aware of:

https://www.suboxone.com/content/pdfs/P ... ochure.pdf

I am disgusted, Keith, by the way you were treated!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:04 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Keith, good for you to return to the pharmacy!! You go!
Wowo on the the posts to 'educate before anger'. Or docm2's - patience then educate. Same for tragicom's Well that's what will work but not what is easiest to try but is the best to do. Amy wowo good going on those links as had not seen before!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm 

Amy's post with all those links is so invaluable. We'll try to keep it available for future use if this subject continues to be a problem. Not so much a Sticky but we know where to find it.

Thank You Amy, for taking time out of your day to research all those important sites.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy, thanks so much for taking time to find and post those links. I learned so much!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:25 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Only if I'm trying to get a early full!