It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:03 pm 

Is anyone experiencing problems logging in, staying logged in, posting, or any other type of technical problem? We want to address any difficulties you may be having.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:41 pm 

Hi Amy, none today, yesterday I was trying to log on and it said the ul server was unavailable. I am not tech savy at all so I thought if I switched from my phone to my laptop but I got the same message. I was allowed to log in in the evening without a problem. I dont know what caused that. Thank you for asking and working to make sure things are running smoothly!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Amy,

The same thing happened to me two days ago during the evening, it said url not found on the server. I thought it was just me, apparently not. What's going on with that?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:23 pm 

Is it working for you now, Qom?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yay! Suboxone forum is back!!! So to answer your question about technical difficulties it's a big fat yes. But thankfully it did not last long. Yesterday morning I was able to read and post on the forum but when I checked back in yesterday afternoon it was gone! When I clicked on Suboxforum I was immediately redirected to a weird webpage for domain rentals....

I'm so glad Dr. J was able to get all this priceless info back. I know i'm not alone when I say how much I value this site and everyone that contributes to it!!

Moral of the story? Back up! Back up! Back up.....

And apparently Dr. J did!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Amy,

Yes it has been working since that night it was Monday or Tuesday evening. Then the next day it worked fine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It has been a crazy week--- and I appreciate people sticking around. Unfortunately I'm a one-man i.t. department, trying to figure things out as I go! If you really want the details, read on.....

I tried to fix the problem Monday when people were told then were 'banned'.... and I hired a guy from overseas off elance who was supposedly an expert in phpBB forums. I ended up finding the problem myself, at about the same time I got a message from him that 'all of the files have disappeared'. I now think I know what happened; I think he accidentally deleted an FTP account-- a program at the server that allows the site owner to transfer large files--- using the wrong option. One option deletes ACCESS-- and the other deletes FILES. In one click, he destroyed the entire forum, along with most of my other web sites (for my practice, suboxsearch, suboxdocs, etc).

I had a couple backup files, but restoring web sites-- especially ones as large as this forum--- becomes a very arduous process. The files are 8 gigabytes in size, so just downloading the file takes hours even with a good connection. (one gigabyte is a thousand megabytes; a typical high-rez photo is 1 megabyte.. so moving the forum is like moving 8,000 high resolution photos).

I hired another guy on elance--- this time from the US-- to uncompress the backup and put the files where they belong on the server. And for a few hours yesterday, things were great.

Today people started getting redirected to a different web site. I couldn't get into the forum, as I had the same problem-- but I was able to get the page source info before it redirected (do a right-click on any web page and you'll find it). In that material I found a piece of code that was causing the redirect, just as the last of each page appeared on your screens. I had to go on the server and search through all the templates of pages of the forum, to find all those pieces of code. But the server said my account was full (because of the backups I'd made), and I couldn't access the account to delete the backups because the site was too full to log on(!). These hosting companies.... so in order to open my file manager to delete files, I FIRST had to buy more space, so that my control panel could be accessed!

Even after buying the space, it took 2 hours for the hosting company to install the space on my server.

Eventually I got to the files, and found 5 pieces of code, scattered through the pages of the forum. And now I am almost certain that the first guy-- the overseas guy-- put the code in there to redirect pages to his site-- hoping someone would click on links and bring him revenue. I can't prove it-- but I see no other way to get code into the pages of the site where I found it.

Looks good for now-- but one never knows! Again, thanks for sticking around!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the update and info as to how you finally fixed it Doc! Finding that embedded code is pretty good work on your part. Way to go!

It does not surprise me that one of those guys you hired put that code in there. How else would it have gotten there? Someone did the dirty deed. Code does not write itself so I'm duly impressed that you were even able to find it.

Thanks again for the update and fix.

Love this site!

megster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been investigating... the redirect was to a web address that is 'parked' at sedo.com-- a place where you can let domains sit and collect ad revenue-- providing you have a way to get people to open your page. My thanks to 'Dave'-- I found the original code, and he found the others-- and he also showed me a door to my hosting account that wasn't completely closed.

Amazing how there seems to be a hacker for almost every site out there. A few years ago someone got into my Apple account; I was racing some unknown person, changing passwords and verifying them by email, as that person tried to change them to their own password to lock me out. All for what-- my odd collection of music? My radar app for my phone?

Crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Suboxdoc,

Yeah crazy is right! Wow. Thank you for your determination to keep this site up and running. Soooo many good people encouraging each other and sharing experiences and advice, along with the occasional professional opinion. ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:29 pm 

We are a fortunate and grateful bunch! We have a well-educated man, a man who understands addiction because he has lived it, a doctor who has two specialties, anesthesiology and psychiatry, who obviously is committed to giving back to the addict community. This man prescribes bupe to addicts in his own practice. He writes articles and blog posts online to advocate for us and for the medication helping to keep us alive. And, as if this weren't already more than any of us deserve, he creates a forum to answer our questions, give us advice, again advocate for us and our medication. I don't know exactly what it costs for him to run our forum site, but I know he has upgraded our forum several times for our benefit. He spends probably at least $1000 a year to keep us running. I'm going to estimate that he has probably spent in excess of 10K supporting us since he started the forum in 2008. He has been accused multiple times of getting some sort of financial incentive for promoting buprenorphine based medications for addicts, when he actually pays out of his pocket to make sure that buprenorphine patients have this safe haven. There is no way of estimating how much positivity and help he has given us. It is incalculable.

There is all of this evidence of his positive contributions to our private world. You could imagine that he sometimes wants to take a break, that he doesn't want to get emails from his mods telling him that the forum is having technical difficulties. But instead of ignoring or shirking his duty, he somehow instead carves hours that he doesn't have out of his day and fixes the problem.

Those of us who understand how much he gives to the addicts here are humbled by it. Thank you, Dr. Junig for the precious gift you give us without thinking of yourself.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:27 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Dr. Junic,
I thought you just didn't pay your bill!!! lol
Just kiddin', I am glad you got it up and running for all our sakes!
You know me by now, I make a joke of everything! lol
Thanks
Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the support! I still notice problems--- like getting forcibly logged off now and then. I have looked into changing to a different type of forum, but we have too much data, spanning several generations of the phpBB forum, to transfer to a different type. I've upgraded this forum a number of times, and I'd really like to do a 'clean install' on a different hosting account.... and that would happen in May or 2016 when my current hosting agreement expires.

This entire forum has been a great experience for me; I knew that buprenorphine was the perfect medication for treating opioid dependence, which is what got me interested in the medication in the first place... but it has been 'the regulars' here who have kept this place going, even as my interest has come and gone over the years.

I'm really hoping to write more in the blog as well, going forward. I just get so angry when I start thinking about all the ways that addiction treatment is messed up-- from the ridiculous laws, the attitudes in some pharmacists, the opinions of law enforcement toward the medication... and of course the things that some patients do that threaten to turn buprenorphine treatment into a highly regulated program similar to methadone. I started working in a methadone clinic since I couldn't take new buprenorphine patient (a situation that may change soon), and while I definitely see the need and value for methadone, I believe that buprenorphine is a safer and better option. But the ridiculous chatter about 'diversion' threatens the idea of letting people actually control their medications!

Speaking of chatter... time for me to stop!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:39 am 

Thank u Dr J for this forum, it's honestly taught me more than my own doctor has. I would absolutely love to have a Dr that knows what it's like being an addict. Ur patients are very lucky to have u as their Dr.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Dr Jeffrey....

I know it would be a loss of many years of posts...but possibly there is a way to convert php to vbulletin?
VB has so much more for the user, and I'm pretty sure you would love the admin panel of vb versus the phpbb panel...
From what I've seen, adsense isn't as bothersome on vb for users ..
transitioning would be a huge process and undertaking though.. and likely costly, having to keep this alive while converting database to vb and keeping the new vb forum private from access until convert is finished..
Could even require new registration if users don't seamlessly convert over..which would be even bigger burden...
Just my thoughts...I've admin'd mostly vbulletin and always liked it, versus the couple of phpbb forums I've admin'd over the years...

Had I known, I could've tried to help you this week, but I only just tried to check in after a couple months hiatus from posting....actually I've been working on putting a car back together this week after doing a clutch job on it..and boy, talk about headache. If anyone of you has an 2002 Camry...do NOT attempt to do the clutch yourself...just go to the shop.
My help quit on me and I was forced to guess at how the car got put back together, since the helper took it apart without me around...
When the car first tore up, it wasn't mine...then after it broke, the car became my property and I purchased the parts to fix it...so it was up to me to get it running ..
Thanks to my sorry helper for most of this headache..
(helper = neighbor who eats xanax and I asked not to disassemble car until parts were purchased because he would forget where things went...didn't listen to me)

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Jonathan, for the offer and for the suggestion. The problem is that when the forum goes down, I lose access to you and to everyone else here. I almost put up a screen to let people know I was 'working on technical difficulties', just so they knew what was going on...

When you say that adsense causes problems for users, what problems do they cause? I have seen them as innocuous, if not a little irritating-- but do they cause problems for people? They do bring in some revenue that helps pay for the web sites, so I don't want to dump them...

I've avoided the real annoying ads that are on so many sites these days--- the pop-ups, the video ads that turn on automatically (where you computer suddenly starts talking to you), the redirects.... I also got rid of any relationships with advertisers other than Google, and I stick to their policy that limits ads to three per page, no matter how large the page (not counting the small link units). I used to have inline ads that would place links on individual words, but they provided literally pennies per day, and prolonged the opening of the page.

I've looked at vbulletin and I like it. I also like Vanilla forums, and there was another one that I forget right now-- but the whole setup was different in that there was essentially one main thread for the entire site. I can't remember how they made it work-- and I didn't think it would be great here, although the user experience was pretty cool and fast, because everything happened with Java, without reading or writing to the disc. I may have that wrong as far as details of how they did it-- but all I remember was that it was very fast, but didn't allow me to address multiple questions at one session.

When I have spoken with support people at those other forums, they tell me that they MIGHT be able to save the content-- but as you said, the individual accounts would likely be lost, and people would have to register again. All of the custom stuff-- the avatars, for example-- would likely be lost. My problem with that is we have had people from over the years who posted for a year or two, then moved on. Their memories live on in their posts and avatars... and I hate the idea of a new start that erases those contributions.

I envy your car knowledge; I never learned anything about cars, and I'm always amazed at what some people can do with them. The entire extent of my knowledge is replacing the heater core on my wife's Renault 'LeCar' in 1987, in the parking lot of a mall in Rochester NY. I got the heater core from a salvage yard, and I was pretty proud of myself.... until my wife drove the car home got her feet drenched in radiator fluid from under the dash!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I haven't had any issues with adsense in a while...maybe they've finally gotten to the point where they are balanced correctly and not as hostile as some they used to run..

There is only one shot when starting a forum that grows to this size over a long period of time...you begin with something that you believe will be small and might grow a little...but then it turns into something like what we have here, and if you decide this format isn't the best option, it becomes a big hurdle to decide between losing content/users and making the forum run more smoothly / more cost efficient / allow more (and easier) access for the mobile/tablet community.
That's the only problem I ever see with phpbb..the mobile version doesn't give you much as a user...I usually go into "options" and select "show desktop version" or whatever it is...because mobile isn't friendly.

There's only one way to approach a big change, (i.e going from phpbb to vbulletin, or something else)...and that's by putting up a page that everyone has to see, a forced page (once it's seen though, it doesn't show to that user again)...saying that you'll be changing over on (some future date about a year away)...
And a sticky topic saying the same thing...that way the discussion can show people the reasoning. I'm sure most would understand "IF" they seen it ahead of time, and saw why the need has arisen..
it's an arduous task..but I foresee this site will only get bigger... I'd like to see phpbb change their format..but, not likely.
I'd also suggest that maybe 3 months before the announced "date" of changing over, make a scrolling banner at the top that states a major change is coming..

The information itself would still be here if this took place, which is the most important thing. Many people create "burner" accounts for sites like this one, it points to an email they may/may not even have anymore, and it's possible that out of 5,000 people, 1500 to 2000 of those people may not log in ever again...and another 1000 may only visit once per year...
I would still have a hard time deciding to make a jump like this in your shoes..
It's easy to armchair quarterback and tell you my opinion..but it's just that..my opinion. The fact remains that you are more in-touch with the users and know what you would prefer..both technically and morally speaking.

On the car topic....I think I've decided to quit now that I got that 02 camry on the road...
I have a 1998 Jeep Wrangler on some 35x12.50x15...with 3" lift..and some body mods ..but it's not so bad to do minor stuff to it..
Also got a 2011 Sienna for the family...and an old 97 Chevy Lumina ... I really don't like working on any of the vehicles in my driveway unless it's something minor (oil, brakes, etc)...
The Sienna, I won't even touch anything under the hood because it's too hard to work on it. Can't even change my own spark plugs in that one...
For the past 3 months, I have been working on various cars we have..universal joints on my jeep, clutch in that 02 camry, clutch slave cylinders on my Jeep wrangler...just several things among all of them..even my 07 Grizzly ATV had a CV boot that tore and needed replacing..
So, after doing about 3 months of mechanic work around the house, I'm tired of playing in grease..
It's a great sense of accomplishment to tear away a transmission from a car, install a clutch, then see it roll away, running just fine again..but, it's work...hard work. Tedious...and painful. I can't count the wounds I have accumulated just from that car..cut myself, busted knuckles, even got brake fluid shot into my eye (it was under pressure and had about 15psi on it, straight into my eyeball)..

I always see mechanic an amazing job...actually doing it though, can be both physical and mental strain.
I don't know how many times I had to quit working, wash my hands, and come visit youtube to see how something needed to be put back on the camry. I got really mad because I didn't take the car apart at all, but I was forced to put it back together without any help from the person who DID take it apart. He just sat nextdoor at his house, while I struggled with figuring out the puzzle...and never even bothered to come help put back the crap he took off.

Lots of adjectives were heard coming from my carport...that's for sure.

I'd lots rather get a phone call from someone saying "I need windows reloaded on my laptop"...or, what i'm doing until Oct 6th...managing a gas station because my Indian friend went to India to visit his mother..so he left me to handle deposits and check-cashing for him in his absence. Those are very much easier to do than crawling around in oil and grease...but, such is life, I guess...

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:50 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

This forum has been an incredibly positive presence in my life. THANK YOU, Dr J! I truly, literally, cannot thank you enough. You have made a big difference to me and my family.

That said, THIS LOGGING-OUT PROBLEM IS DRIVING ME NUTS! It's not unusable, but is at least nodding and motioning suggestively in that direction! Is anyone else still having that problem, or is it just me?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:05 pm 

Cross I think several ppl are having these logging in and out issues so it's not just u. I haven't had any yet thank goodness. If ur not already, maybe try using Google Chrome.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:15 pm 

Unfortunately, I don't think that Google Chrome helps that much. I switched to Chrome and the problem is still rearing its ugly head. I have gotten used to copying the text of my post before I submit, so if I lose it, it's easier to replace. I also had Chrome remember my user name and password, so when I'm logged out I just click "Keep me logged in" and then log in. I don't know how to do that exactly. It popped up as an option the first time I used the suboxforum in Chrome.

I'm wondering whether or not this is a mac versus pc issue, although I don't know if that's a possibility. I have a macbook. Are any of you experiencing the same thing on a PC?

Amy