It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:04 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Yes, I'm on a Windows machine. I also hit control-A then control-C (select all --> copy) every time I post, just in case!

jennjenn, thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, it still seems to be happening on Chrome, although it's faster to re-log-in, so I'm going to stick with it anyway. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been letting things sit too long--- but over the past few weeks I've been making some upgrades that 'the experts' tell me should help. For example, a couple days ago I doubled the storage to 120 gigabytes-- which is a huge amount of space for one web site(!). One problem is that the forum contains conversations from 8 years... and all of those conversations are indexed and available, if you search with the right keywords. The size supposedly makes the program less stable. The hosting people say that more storage will reduce the strain on the phpBB program, as the information can be stored more efficiently-- similar to how it becomes difficult to defragment a hard drive, if there is no space to use to reorganize the files.

There are ways to 'prune' the forum... but I'm very hesitant to use them. I DID delete about 500 usernames of people who joined before 2013, who have never posted anything. I'm thinking about getting rid of a section or two that has had no activity for the past 6 months. I have considered removing posts that are more than 5 years old, that have not has any comments for the past year or two. I need to take a look at the data and see if it is potentially useful. If posts are removed, though, that negatively effects google ranking, because suddenly there are URL's that lead to error pages.

I've learned to use notepad or MS Word to write longer posts, then cut and paste... not only here, but at any site where I am leaving comments. Some of those log-out situations are unavoidable-- although there are still too many instances of it here.

Please be patient... and I'll keep tinkering!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks for taking a look at the situation -- but please, don't mind my muttering! Taking an extra three seconds to re-log-in isn't much, in the grand scheme of things.

That said, it is no longer logging me out at all, so... whatever you did seems to have worked! Three cheers for Dr. J. :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:06 pm 

For some odd reason all my log in problems have gone away. Who knows what was happening then. I'm just glad it's gone.

r

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:41 pm 

Mine are gone too! Since yesterday afternoon!

Whatever you did, Dr. Junig, it worked!!

Amy