It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

After recently coming off of Suboxone myself, the father of my daughter wanted to give it a try.
His Suboxone doctor is totally clueless to why it's not working, and mentioned in EXTREMLY rare circumstances, it doesn't due to a slow metabolism. I don't know, it just seems weird. He also has Chrons Disease and has been on opiates a total of 15 years, but the doctor said past use is not usually an issue with induction.
So has anyone else heard of this happening or experienced it themselves?

Thanks so much,
Amber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:49 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Graced4,
If you can tell us What he was taking before & how much... And how much Suboxone is he using???
Did he wait till W/D settled in before begining the Subox?

Maybe just not getting enough Suboxone in the dose he is using?
The more info the better... Maybe the Doc will see it and chime in??/ You never know!!!

Take Care
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm 
Yes, I'm thinking along the same line as Twinply.....need a few questions answered. My first question, though, is what do you mean when you say Suboxone "isn't working?" Is it not working in terms of taking away withdrawal symptoms or not working in terms of alleviating cravings, or what exactly?
Although I have no background or knowledge as to if or why it could happen that Suboxone wouldn't work...it would seem so unlikely to me. Especially given that Suboxone is dissolved under the tongue and absorbed relatively rapidly by that route. It would just not seem logical that metabolism would play in to the extent of the medication not working at all. But again, I don't know, haven't read anything about such a thing either way. I'm certainly curious though.
Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

He was on (2,80 mg Oxycotin 3tsdaily), alot I know. He started when he diagnosed, so it's been 16 years. He takes it correctly, always has. Very high tolerence.

He waited 24 hours after his last dose to start Suboxone. He was def. in moderate withdrawals.
Because of his past medical history, he was inducted, at the hospital. So they witnessed his withdrawals.

He was inducted at 24 mgs Suboxone, but they couldn't get his blood pressure down, even after dosing. He showed no signs of relief, and they honestly said it has never happened before.
It's confusing...but thank you for responding.
Amber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good Morning!

When you say that the suboxone is not working, what exactly do you mean? was he in withdrawals when he started? how much was he taking before then? the WD from opiates must have really affected his Chrones disease and aggravated the GI discomfort even more! How many mg did he start with? What happened? Did his doc adjust his dose at all? You did not provide enough details to see what may have happened, perhaps it may just need a little tweak in dose or how he is taking it. When it did not "work", what did he do? go back to regular opiates? Im sure he did not stay in withdrawals too long to figure it out because we all know how difficult that can be! If opiates worked on his brain, there is no reason why suboxone should not work as well, it has similar properties and attaches to the same receptors... Im sorry this is not answers, rather more questions, but it seems that there may be more to the equation than just "Its not working..." Please keep us posted!

MW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 pm 
Wow Amber....that is so strange indeed! I just don't see how it's possible for it not to work. But apparently, it happened to him.
Maybe someone else or maybe Dr Junig will see this and respond. I'd love to know if this has happened to anyone else.
What a bummer for him. What's he decided to do? Stay on opiates or and try abstinence-based recovery? Just curious. I hope he gets the help he needs. It's nice that you can show him an example of how recovery can work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did the doctors discuss the option of methadone? It may be worth looking into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, Amber I just noticed what you wrote here and I'm VERY curious and interested to know if you've found out anything more, especially since I too have suffered with bowel disease, was certain I was in withdrawal when I began the suboxone and had a very negative response to the drug.

Please respond and update if you can.

Interested in knowing the outcome and more information,
Sheila

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

any updates? and yea what do you guys think of methadone? that could be a option anything is better then him going back on the oxys. i know the felling i was on 2 80s a day for a few years its not fun. but please keep us updated!