It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I became an addict due to chronic back/spinal pain, due to disease. Suboxone has saved my life, and has taken away nearly ALL of the pain I suffered with for the past 3 years. That is the bonus part of this whole deal. Not only am I no longer taking large amounts of opiates every day, and worrying about running low at the end of the month before my script can be filled again, but I'm pain free.

This synthetic drug, which I've read is 30x stronger than morphine, and yet I have also read that it is less powerful than most opiates, somehow has taken away ALL of my pain! HOW does it do that?!! My pain level every day was anywhere from a 7 - 10, with 10 being the worst. HOW is it that it works so well for my pain?? Not even 210mg of morphine a day could do this.

SO, my doctors have suggested that I consider using Suboxone for the rest of my life, to control the pain. They say, "Why not? Suboxone is a very very safe drug to take and you can take it for a very very long time."

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Well, so far, so good! I'm starting my 3rd month. I feel so good, so pain free, I've almost tricked myself into thinking I can get off of Suboxone also, and still be pain free. But that is wishful dreaming.

Is anyone else considering using Suboxone or buprenorphine to control their pain for the rest of their lives? And if so, how do you feel about it? What are your worries and concerns? I'm worried about pain control after surgery. What does everyone think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Bunny,

I take sub for my pain as well, after my surgery in May my pain decreased a bit and I got on Sub in June. It works very well for my pain too but I also wonder if my pain is better so I plan on going off and see where I'm at. If my pain is still too bad I would have no problem getting back on sub. It is way better than the alternative.

I think that since you having such great pain control on Sub it makes sense to keep taking it. If ever you got to a point where it wasn't working for you anymore then you could think about going off it.

Of course this is just my opinion but why fix what isn't broken. I am glad you are doing so well on sub!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on suboxone for three years in December. I've thought about the possibility of staying on it for life, due to the fact that it's about my only main option left for pain.

Neither you nor I need to make the decision to stay on sub for life RIGHT NOW. Hell, all we have to decide today is that for now, we want to stay on it. We then can reassess every so often.

For me, it's just another medication I take. I don't freak out over withdrawals or quitting or running out (I do have extras saved up). It's no different than any of my other meds.

I've never gotten so comfortable that I've considered going off it. Between doses I still get pain, plus sub doesn't erase all my pain, so I can still clearly see that I definitely still need the sub for pain treatment. But obviously if you're taking a pain med and your pain is gone, when you remove the pain med, the pain will likely return! Remember that.

I hope this helps.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Breezy and Hatmaker! Thanks for posting. I'm so happy to hear that you guys are also getting relief from the pain with Suboxone as I am. I think that as long as I'm not having any bad side effects, and if this drug is found to be safe for long term use, and if it controls the pain, then I'll keep using it. It's amazing how morphine couldn't take my pain away, yet this little orange tablet can! And I only have to take 2 of them! Sometimes, just one!! WOW!!!

But I'm wondering now...... if I, or you guys, or anyone really, who is using Suboxone decides to taper down and quit taking it, to see HOW they would feel without it--- maybe pain free, maybe not---- what happens when you re-start Suboxone? Let's say you tapered down, quit using it, got through with withdrawels, and didn't use ANY pain meds for ohhhh 6 months or so. Those opiate receptors in your brain are clear of any medication and you are back to making your own good-feeling-endorphines in your brain, the way it should be......... Suddenly, your pain level increases and you NEED pain medication again. HOW do you go about starting back on the Sub? Would it make you sick?

I feel so good now, so pain free, that I almost BELIEVE that if I stop taking Suboxone, I'll be okay. I know this is just a trick of my mind! My physical problems in my spine will naturally create pain in anyone. But I keep thinking, what if? What if I stop using it and I am pain free? Ohhh, the sweet liberation!!! LOL I'm almost willing to give it a shot, just to see where I would stand. I've been using opiates for so many years now-- what would I feel like if I used NOTHING? How bad would the pain be? Am I willing to give it a shot? Am I scared to try? (Yes!) But I'm sure everyone who has been in these shoes has thought the same thing. I wonder if anyone here has been brave enough to try, and to see HOW much pain they were really in. My doctors have kept telling me that using opiates can cause you to have increased pain. I never understood why. I thought they were all full of B.S. Now I'm having a better understanding of it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My pain dropped when I stopped the full opiate agonists. I'm convinced I had hyperalgesia and that's why my pain dropped so much when I stopped them and started on sub. The same could be true for you. (Keep in mind, my sub tx doesn't erase ALL of my pain, just makes it tolerable along with muscle relaxants.)

If you REALLY want to know what your pain is like without suboxone, try tapering down. I've tried just dropping my dose - not going off it ever, just dropping my dose and damn, did I feel my pain start to come back! I predict you will experience a similar effect...the lower you go, the more pain you will experience. Just a thought. I didn't have to drop my dose very much before my pain started to increase either.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I could get into my whole methadone over suboxone preech for pain. But that is counterproductive to this thread and forum. So i bring to you that suboxone did not work for my pain. But my point is i was on it for five years and when i switched to methadone i had to stop sub all together for a couole weeks and man that first taper my pain came on full force. So becarefull bc like hat said it will prolly be the same for u. And we could be wrong but the risk might out weigh the benefitt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Be careful blackberry. A lot of treatments can give someone the impression that they are "cured", if you get what I mean. I have bipolar disorder, and so many times I would get well on medication, believe I was cured, go off my medication and ... you know what happens.

I'm by no means saying that you won't be able to taper off Suboxone one day. I will suggest though that it's likely you will need to find some other methods to manage your pain that do not involve any kind of narcotic painkiller. Maybe non-medical ways like mindfulness meditation (studies have proven it to be very effective in pain management), light exercise, and medication that isn't opiate based. I don't know much about pain management though, so I'm just going on what little I know

If you went off Suboxone, then chose to resume it after a number of months, most definitely you will at first need a much lower dose when you start, and may feel a bit "stoned" until you stabilise. Over those months you will likely have lost your opiate tolerance completely. However, like what we were talking about in the other thread, when you go back on opiates, that tolerance will return quickly as it only takes a few doses for all your old receptors to open up again. It's because of this that the overall trend is our tolerances go up over our lifetime every time we return to opiates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I ended up with my addiction because of chronic pain. And, like you, when any amount of any other drug didn't relieve the pain I was surprised that the suboxone did. I am tapering, have been pretty much since I started 10 months ago, but even on my lowest dose I still get pain relief. I do plan to completely taper and the thought of having the pain back does scare me. I know that I will have to learn other ways to deal with it, and it definitely won't be easy now that I have experienced the relief I get with subs.