It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:13 am



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:16 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm
Posts: 87
I started smoking when I was 17. I quit once for a year and a half, but it got the best of me and I started again.

Then, when my surgery was botched & I got hooked on the pain killers I definitely smoked more. No doubt about that.

Now that I'm off the pills and on Bupe, my desire to smoke has increased significantly. I own my own business so I can smoke all the time...and believe me I do. Too be honest it makes me feel terrible to be smoking a couple of packs a day. I've tried vaping too, but it just wouldn't stick. I read that I should get a large battery to get a more smoking feeling. Maybe I'll give that a try. I'm also looking into the book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, author is Allan Carre. Couldn't hurt.

I'm just wondering...has this happened to anyone else? If so, what have you done to get it under control?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

_________________
One Thing That You Can Give And Still Keep Is Your Word


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Mid-Atlantic
YES!!!!!! i only ever smoked after using pills. since on bupe, this is the first time in my life that i'm a "full time smoker"
the more I lower my does, the less i smoke.
i'm down to .5 mg a day and about 6 cigs.
started at 16mg an almost a pack.

_________________
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:42 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm
Posts: 87
SisterMorphine wrote:
YES!!!!!! i only ever smoked after using pills. since on bupe, this is the first time in my life that i'm a "full time smoker"
the more I lower my does, the less i smoke.
i'm down to .5 mg a day and about 6 cigs.
started at 16mg an almost a pack.


Oh Sister, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I was so hoping that as I get to a lower dosage that this awful craving for more cig smoking would lessen too!

Big congrats on getting down to 6 day. That's wonderful. So I'm going to try to get a nice vape to keep my cig smoking lower for now. Then look forward to it getting better in the coming months/years.

You're a doll!

_________________
One Thing That You Can Give And Still Keep Is Your Word


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm 
Offline
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Mid-Atlantic
DeeKay wrote:
SisterMorphine wrote:
YES!!!!!! i only ever smoked after using pills. since on bupe, this is the first time in my life that i'm a "full time smoker"
the more I lower my does, the less i smoke.
i'm down to .5 mg a day and about 6 cigs.
started at 16mg an almost a pack.


Oh Sister, this is exactly what I wanted to hear! I was so hoping that as I get to a lower dosage that this awful craving for more cig smoking would lessen too!

Big congrats on getting down to 6 day. That's wonderful. So I'm going to try to get a nice vape to keep my cig smoking lower for now. Then look forward to it getting better in the coming months/years.

You're a doll!

i did try vaping for awhile, but i never could get it to substitute for cigarettes. i should give it a try again. i have an awesome "latte" flavor liquid. and fire and ice which is cinnamon on inhale and mint on exhale. they're god awful fixed together though. i think that's why i stopped!

_________________
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:59 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm
Posts: 87
Haha, those flavors don't sound good at all! I have a Strawberry flavor that really is quite nice. It's just that my husband bought it for me and it's just too small (but his heart was in the right place). I need one with a much larger battery to get the satisfaction that I need.

I'm using what I have now to just try to cut out some of the smoking. It really does make me feel bad at the end of the day.

I'm no spring chicken so I really am sad to be smoking this much. But just to know that these cravings will lessen as I ever so slowly lower my dose is enough to keep me pressing forward with my recovery.

_________________
One Thing That You Can Give And Still Keep Is Your Word


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:14 pm 
Offline
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Mid-Atlantic
you've got this deekay!
they've got some seriously high tech stuff out there. one of my customers had a cloud contest. he has a vape shop but held it at a local bar. there were two categories. stock and mod. its like they're race cars!
i didnt like the fruity flavors. i bought the only 2 that weren't fruity. theres a cinnamon roll one too. cinnamon is supposed to help. chew big red gun or those hot cinnamon toothpicks.

years ago i quit heroin and cigs cold turkey!....and then relapsed after 5 years.
i def think it has something not so much to do with the bupe, but that theres a more consistent level in our system.

_________________
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm
Posts: 87
SisterMorphine wrote:
you've got this deekay!
they've got some seriously high tech stuff out there. one of my customers had a cloud contest. he has a vape shop but held it at a local bar. there were two categories. stock and mod. its like they're race cars!
i didnt like the fruity flavors. i bought the only 2 that weren't fruity. theres a cinnamon roll one too. cinnamon is supposed to help. chew big red gun or those hot cinnamon toothpicks.

years ago i quit heroin and cigs cold turkey!....and then relapsed after 5 years.
i def think it has something not so much to do with the bupe, but that theres a more consistent level in our system.


Can you explain this to me? The Bupe definitely hypes me up that's for sure. This, in turn, makes me crave cigs more. I'm slowly lowering my dose, but I'm talking turtle slow. I'm currently dosing 4.5 mg 6 days per week & 4.25 - 1 day per week. Now that's a slow drop, right? I don't want to have many side effects, if any when dropping. So my plan is being on 4.25 consistently in 6 weeks! Dropping .25 mg over a month & a half is going to take me a very long time.

But I'm hoping to have a successful jump, if & when I'm ever ready. This cig smoking is driving me batty though...

_________________
One Thing That You Can Give And Still Keep Is Your Word


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 pm 
Offline
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Mid-Atlantic
DeeKay wrote:
SisterMorphine wrote:
you've got this deekay!
they've got some seriously high tech stuff out there. one of my customers had a cloud contest. he has a vape shop but held it at a local bar. there were two categories. stock and mod. its like they're race cars!
i didnt like the fruity flavors. i bought the only 2 that weren't fruity. theres a cinnamon roll one too. cinnamon is supposed to help. chew big red gun or those hot cinnamon toothpicks.

years ago i quit heroin and cigs cold turkey!....and then relapsed after 5 years.
i def think it has something not so much to do with the bupe, but that theres a more consistent level in our system.


Can you explain this to me? The Bupe definitely hypes me up that's for sure. This, in turn, makes me crave cigs more. I'm slowly lowering my dose, but I'm talking turtle slow. I'm currently dosing 4.5 mg 6 days per week & 4.25 - 1 day per week. Now that's a slow drop, right? I don't want to have many side effects, if any when dropping. So my plan is being on 4.25 consistently in 6 weeks! Dropping .25 mg over a month & a half is going to take me a very long time.

But I'm hoping to have a successful jump, if & when I'm ever ready. This cig smoking is driving me batty though...


idk i've never felt anything from bupe even at 16mg, but i did smoke almost a pack a day at that dose.
you taper seems like its coming along. whatever your comfortable at and works for you!

_________________
Get your shit together and live your life." Black Snake Moan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:47 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm
Posts: 2302
Location: Tennessee
I smoke a pack a day of menthols (some days it can be less). Buprenorphine hasn't made it worse and it hasn't made it better. Stress also causes me to smoke more. When I was in active addiction and had a great buzz going, I'd chain smoke one after another after another, I definitely don't do that with bupe.

Smoking has so much to do with how I'm feeling at the time. If I'm upset I'll smoke, if I'm having a conversation I'll feel the need to smoke more, after I eat I want to smoke more, when I wake up I need to smoke.... it's just an awful awful habit to break. I've been a smoker since I was 17 or somewhere around there and I quit 3 times during my pregnancies because the smell made me sick. I quit during detox because they made me and even then I had a nicotine patch. For someone that's smoked most of their life before addiction, during addiction and in recovery I've learned to notice when I crave a cigarette more often and thankfully bupe hasn't effected me either way. I wish bupe stopped nicotine cravings but it hasn't yet for me personally.

_________________
Jennifer


Top
 Profile  
 
   
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster

Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm
Posts: 87
jennjenn wrote:
I smoke a pack a day of menthols (some days it can be less). Buprenorphine hasn't made it worse and it hasn't made it better. Stress also causes me to smoke more. When I was in active addiction and had a great buzz going, I'd chain smoke one after another after another, I definitely don't do that with bupe.

Smoking has so much to do with how I'm feeling at the time. If I'm upset I'll smoke, if I'm having a conversation I'll feel the need to smoke more, after I eat I want to smoke more, when I wake up I need to smoke.... it's just an awful awful habit to break. I've been a smoker since I was 17 or somewhere around there and I quit 3 times during my pregnancies because the smell made me sick. I quit during detox because they made me and even then I had a nicotine patch. For someone that's smoked most of their life before addiction, during addiction and in recovery I've learned to notice when I crave a cigarette more often and thankfully bupe hasn't effected me either way. I wish bupe stopped nicotine cravings but it hasn't yet for me personally.

I'm glad that the Bupe hasn't made you smoke more. It's been crazy for me. But it's my understanding that as I lower my Bupe intake, the desire to continue smoking this much will lessen. Sure hope so anyway.

Yea, it would be great if Bupe would do the opposite & help me to not smoke as much! But that's not the case. When I did quit I used the Nicotine patch. It was hard but it did work.

Well, maybe we'll both be able to quit this nasty habit one day!

_________________
One Thing That You Can Give And Still Keep Is Your Word


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:15 pm
Posts: 2302
Location: Tennessee
I sure hope so Dee. I hate smoking and I know how unhealthy it is. It's scary.

I had to wear the patch during detox once and it just didn't work BUT I was craving opiates and stressed out so bad with that obsession maybe that's why it just didn't make me want to stop. I think I should probably give the patch another go. I've always said 'the patch doesn't work for me' but I'm starting to realize all the other things that was going on in my life at that time. I believe I'll try again soon...... gotta get to Walmart soon :) my guilty pleasure is Walmart.

_________________
Jennifer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:27 pm 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:35 am
Posts: 2801
Location: Southwest
Thank the gods that I did the right thing and quit smoking right after getting married. My girl friend, soon to be wife, told me that she doesn't date smokers. So I promised her that if we in fact were a good match and ended up together that I would quit. Yikes, a promise!

I am a man of my word so after getting married in February I quit on April 15th of that same year. As you all know it was a very hard thing to do. Like you Dee, I had also stopped for a little over 2 years and started back up again. Doing that messes up your will power because you think you'll never succeed long term. Having to suffer through the w/d's one more time didn't sound very fun. I started at 12 years old and quit at 35.

What I did was to ask every single person who used to smoke and quit, how they did it. Then I made up my own program with as many of the things others did added to my list. I went so far as to buy a subliminal tape of crashing waves to listen to while going to sleep at night. Can't say whether it helped or not but I sit here a non smoker today. I used the Nicorette gum. Back then it was by prescription only but it sure helped. Only 3 pc's a day for 2 weeks and then I stopped that too.

If you want the complete program I did, PM me and I'll list them all. At least the ones I can remember. It is a brutal habit to stop. And like any addiction, the brain is in the center of recovery.

FYI. Even 5 years out I thought, "if the world was going to end next week then I'd start up again". After 10 years that went away. If the world was going to end tomorrow or next month, etc., smoking is the last thing I'd do again. That's how far recovery goes the longer you stick with it.

It can be done. Look how many other hopeless smokers were able to do it. I really didn't think it was possible for me. For you? Yea, okay, but not me. At least you don't have everyone else smoking all the time everywhere you go. Back then we all smoked. Inside work, restaurants, movie theatres, even hospitals! So it helps not getting tempted by others so much.

Okay, off my soap box. One day I really hope all of you can put it behind you. Life does go on.

_________________
Don't take yourself so damn seriously


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
cron
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group