It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:34 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I haven't had a pimple on me since I was 14 or so. That's 20 years ago. Now that I'm on Suboxone, I've noticed that I'm getting small zits on my shoulders and upper back again. Has anyone else had/have this problem that they can trace back to when they first started taking Suboxone? I sure hope I get a lot of "yes", cause last time it took Acutane to get rid of them, and now it's off the market for being too dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on sub for coming up on 2 years and haven't had any problems with acne.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had some problems with it but a low dose antibiotic for 5-7 days seems to fix it for a long time. All narcotics seem to do that to me though.

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Actually, yeah, I've had a slight uptick in acne on my shoulders and the backs of my arms, weird eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm sorry to hear that others have it also, but it makes me feel better knowing that I'm not alone. Odd thing is, I can't find a damn thing about Suboxone or any opiate for that matter on-line causing acne. Heroin never did this to me. I did get some from methadone, but that was when I was detoxing and thought it might be me detoxing that crap out of me.

Post subject: Me Too
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:09 am 

I just noticed tonight that I'm breaking out on my chin, just like my teen years and I'm 56! My wife says it's due to the Testosterone gel I started using a few months back. But now you have me wondering if it is the Sub instead?

What'cha gonna do?

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm only 18, so I'm still on a prescription antibiotic and Rx topical gel for my acne, but in my using days, my recreational methadone and heroin use ALWAYS made me break out terribly.

When I first started suboxone a couple months ago, I noticed a tiny bit of an increase in breakout intensity, but I mainly attributed that to the fact that I had stopped taking both of my acne medications for a while before my induction. I'd say that the suboxone is definitely a possible culprit for your acne sprouting back up. Like I said, my experience was that strong opiates (like suboxone, methadone, and heroin, not so much with vicodin) always caused a flare-up with my acne.

Hope this helps,
Caleb

Post subject: acne
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, when I would take Vidodin and other pills I would get horrible breakouts also. I think it's because of there being more oils secreted from the skin....my skin was much more oily if I was on pills, and would get unbearably dry if I was in withdrawal. And yes, Androgel and the like can cause bad acne. Pretty much anything that shifts your hormones around can do that.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had some break outs on my face and a rash on my right arm but that went away when i 1st started treatment.The prob. i had was my throat was swollen and real sore but it went away after awhile.But what i read that is a side affect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

For me, ALL opiates have caused me to have acne...This i know for a fact. I have always had a problem with acne, at least since I hit puberty. During times where I would get clean though and I was around 18 years old, my acne would go away completely, COMPLETELY! I believe different opiates cause different severity in acne. When I started methadone, my acne was horrible...Unfortunately I was on it for years, so my acne was always horrible. As soon as I switched to Sub, it got better. Luckily, for me, sub doesn't make my acne much worse, and my face is rather clear.....finally at age 25!

But, bottom line is, I think if you have the right genetics for it, all opiates can cause acne, for some reason, and it also depends on the type of opiate.

I also realize that many, many people do NOT have this problem. However I always have...and I am firm in believing that, while I already had a predisposition to acne, opiates made it worse.....Just something you have to deal with unfortunately.

Try using benzoyl peroxide/salycilic acid...face wash, etc....it does help.

maleko

Post subject: mouth sores at induction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

BBQ: I had something similar happen to me when I started Suboxone. After my first dose, I had a somewhat severe reaction: my tongue broke out with these angry, stingy sores and hurt really bad. I was itching like crazy. My family was worried sick that I might not be able to take Suboxone, as it was my last hope. BUT miraculously after about 2 weeks all of it cleared up!!

J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

A side from trouble sleeping and the initial tweaked feeling my only complaint is the ACNE!!!! I have never had acne. I have always had very clear skin. But now after about the first 3 or 4 days on the suboxone I started to get little zits on my face and upper back, shoulders also a little down the back top part of my arms. I have been on it for 11 days now and it is getting worse. I am not even taken my full daily dose. I was prescribed 4 8m pills a day. I took a whole one the first day and didn’t like how I felt. I felt really tweaked. I then consulted with my pharmacist and he recommended taken half at a time. That was the cure. The 8m at one time was too much. I only take 8 to 12mg daily not the 32mg I am prescribed. Even on such a low dose considering what I was prescribed I have this acne that is driving me crazy. I have tried gently exfoliating and using face washes meant for treating acne. I have seen a little reduction in the inflammation and it looks like some are drying out but I also have a little bit of flaky skin where the little bugger once were only to be replace with new break outs. I will continue to try different products every few days and see if any have better results. Anyone else have any ideas or success with combating acne as a result of suboxone use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi mess and welcome to the forum. Wow! You have a doctor that prescribed you 32 mg per day! Holy crap! I'm almost glad you're not taking that much - there's generally no need for it.

As for the acne, I've never seen anything showing a causal relationship between sub and it, but anything is possible. Keep in mind that sweating IS a side effect and that could easily be causing the initial problem that is leading to the acne, if that makes sense.

Just keep your skin moisturized. People with oily skin make the mistake of assuming they shouldn't moisturize when in fact they really need to. And use the proper cleansing product(s) for your face, most of them are worth the extra cost.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I too have this problem but I do with all opiates. I think Hat is correct about the excessive sweating being the biggest culprit. I think a secondary reason could be our thyroids. I have come across a lot of people that have thyroid issues after being on opiates, and I too have thyroid issues now. Of course these are just the reasons I came up with but I am not a Dr. Washing your face every night and morning is the best defense to the problem (at least for me) and although you will notice an improvement it takes a few weeks of doing it religiously to take care of the problem. A dermatologist told me that a pimple started a few weeks before we ever see them and to be patient. I hope all of you suffering from this can get it cleared up because there is nothing more frustrating than breaking out like a teenager when your an adult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

sweating can be a side effect. may be little nausea too.. but not sure about acne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yep my back and shoulders here!!!! I know this is alittle weird but I've also noticed some small pimples on my "manhood".......for lack of a better term lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I haven't had acne in over 10 years and within the past two weeks my arms and shoulders are starting to break out. I am 99.99% sure this is a direct result of suboxone. At first it was just a couple pimples but now both my upper arms are starting to break out as well as a few on my back.

I have been on suboxone for a bit over a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

That's really weirdcuz I haven't connected the acne-well more like goosebump looking bumps on my chest with y suboxone usage. It's mostly because I had worked at fed ex this summer lifting boxes in 90 degree weather so I figured the acne was from my perspiration. But I have stopped working for over two weeks now and I still have them. So yeah maybe it could be attributed to te suboxone. I've been 5 days off though so maybe in a few weeks I'll not have as much and eventually none. I'll check and let you know. The only problem is my withdrawals are causing me to sweat a lot now too so that might cause the acne to not clear up. Either way very interesting observation and I will let you know...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:13 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I haven't personally noticed any difference in my skin since starting suboxone. Actually, I think it's cleared up a bit, but I'm only taking 8 mgs a day. Back in my using days when I would take 20 norcos a day, I did tend to break out more. Every once in a while my husband would take a few pills, thank God he never abused them like I did, but every time he'd take them, seemed like he'd break out and he never does. He usually has very clear skin. I think was Hat says is probably right on! The opiates usually cause more persperation. My husband would sweat like crazy because he didn't take them often, so that was probably the reason why he'd break out.

Since I've started subs, we have no access to other narcotics and my husband does not touch my sub. He's not had a break out since. Makes a lot of sense to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya im have problems with shoulder acne. I figured its because i have been sweating alot, another side effect i hear.