It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ugh my job is sooooooooooooooo stressful, half the time I want to rip my head off or use! Why do I stay here you ask? Well first of all the money isn't bad and my dad owns the place so I get to get away with a lot (leaving for appts/counseling, etc.) Second, the economy is soooo bad here, it's nearly impossible to find a job unless its in a restaraunt which I do NOT want since that's where I got started using and it's a BIG Trigger! Idk.....anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Also having trouble with obamacare! I am having the hardest time with BCBS!! I'm about to cry this is sooooo stressful! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes, I can relate. I'm doing fine right now, but my job can be a trigger. I have a painstaking tedious job, and opiates in general helped me focus and get stuff done. Time would fly by and I was like a working machine. I haven't worked in a restaurant in decades, but one of my very first connections was from a cook in the back of the house. It would be a trigger for me too.

What issues are you having with ACA and/or BCBS? I might be able to help...?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I got started on heroin at an Ihop =/
Ummm well I'm signed up with blue cross blue shield but they keep fucking up. I was supposed to be effective on the 1st of this month but I'm still not effective yet! It's because I switched from an hmo to ppo because that's what my doctor takes so they still have the info on file of the hmo and it's taking them forever to switch everything! I've been fighting this for over a month now and they just keep telling me to be patient and that they are really busy and backed up but that it will be done soon. I'm just worried that i'm gonna be dropped or something. Idk soooooo stressful!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

so until then, I'm forced to pay for my suboxone out of pocket =/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, 100% my job made me want to use. Everyone got thrown right into the mess with zero prior training aside from the required technical certification. Answering phones, handling customers of the general public who walk up with every kind of computer problem imaginable - and quite a few unimaginable ones! Had to deliver bad news like "your laptop is going to cost $500 to fix and the warranty you paid extra for already doesn't cover it." Unlimited amounts of paperwork and policies to learn my way around. And like I said, 0 proactive training, just had to find and ask someone every time I ran into something new. It was a good year before I felt competent.

To say the least, this was a difficult job for someone who was previously a shut-in teenager who just finds going to the grocery store and speaking to the cashier an unpleasant amount of contact. I wanted to fix computers, seeing as how it was easily my most valuable skill. What I got was 20% computers, 40% paperwork and policy, and 60% failing to figure people out as I had to deal with them. It was a 120% kind of job. We lost about half the people we hired inside a week of them starting because it was so crazy.

Enter opiates. Nothing could faze me. I could look at any situation calmly and think of the solution or the proper next step despite having a big line of people staring at me, a few newbies panicking and incessantly asking questions, phones ringing etc. After a couple years I was made a manager, then promoted, and up until last week I was one of only a couple people who really knew their way around and could answer any question, fix any problem, even work a few miracles now and then according to more than a few customers. Nothing better than finding the little tweak, the tiny little fix that saves someone hundreds or thousands of dollars, gets the department out of trouble or just makes someone's whole week. Especially when half a dozen other people have looked at the same problem and saw nothing they could do. That was me on opiates.

Take them away though, and it all evaporated. Moderately busy conditions would be enough to give me a panic attack, or at least make me freeze up and forget everything I knew to do. I wouldn't be able to think of anything to say, and forget about dealing with multiple problems at once. This didn't exactly jive with being the manager on duty who gets all the most difficult customers steered his way.

I'm beginning to ramble, which is dangerous because I'm sure I could go on for days about this particular job. Suffice it to say, 3 years was more than enough and it's a huge load off my shoulders to be out of there now. I just hope one day I can achieve the same level of competence without drugs. It was an invaluable experience regardless, I never would have known what I was capable of had I gotten a quiet job in a back room somewhere repairing computers alone.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

pinupgirl666 wrote:
Ugh my job is sooooooooooooooo stressful, half the time I want to rip my head off or use! Why do I stay here you ask? Well first of all the money isn't bad and my dad owns the place so I get to get away with a lot (leaving for appts/counseling, etc.) Second, the economy is soooo bad here, it's nearly impossible to find a job unless its in a restaraunt which I do NOT want since that's where I got started using and it's a BIG Trigger! Idk.....anyone else have this problem?

I just realized my previous post was all about me, how silly. I sympathize with you for sure. While my job was terrible I stayed because there were important things I really loved about it. It is a sometimes painful conundrum, at what point are those things just not worth the stress and problems?

What is it you find stressful about your job? Any way you can change the organization, responsibilities, procedures or anything to make it less so? If you can keep the good stuff and reduce the bad, good times. Otherwise if you don't have that kind of power or it's impossible all you can really do is keep looking for a better job. At least you'll have one in the meantime, which is more than a lot of people have. It can always be worse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's ok lol you can vent to me. That's what this post was created for, to bitch about jobs! LOL
Well where to start? Well did I mention that I work with addicts? Well if I didn't, I do. My dad is a sub provider and I work for him as his receptionist (but i'm sooo much more than that LOL) Anyways, there is no organization here at all. We, the employees are all organized and such it's the boss (my dad) who is all over the place. One day he wants things this way, the next day, that way. And he lets his suboxone patients get away with murder! Lying, cheating, using fake urine, just really bad things. I don't know maybe I get so upset because I am following all the rules and doing right in my treatment. I mean i'm not perfect and i'm not sayng I'm better than anyone. It just gets frustrating ya know? And I know what you mean about opiates enhancing confidence and motivation. I used to be able to do anything on opiates. I sure do miss it but I am slowly getting the confidence I need without it. And you will too my friend! Just try, try your hardest even if it makes you feel uncomfortable

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's a thread where some users are complaining about their jobs, too.

crappy-jobs-have-had-t3323.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow sorry I didn't go too far down the forums so I don't know what all has been posted. Some of those jobs seemed quite interesting!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I thought you might get a kick out of some of those. :lol:

Diary of a Quitter has a colorful job history.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

LOL phone sex operator really gave me a laugh!! Thanks I really needed that :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If my daddy doctor gave me a job in his office (and probably paid me more than he would a stranger for the same position) where "the moneys good" and I "get away with alot" Id be embarrassed as hell to come onto a forum like this and make this post. Ive never complained once about my job on here or even mentioned it but to give you an idea how much I would give to trade positions with you I will. I don't have a rich mommy or daddy, I had to get out there and find my own job and when you dont have rich parents to send you to university you take cheap college courses while working hard labor jobs to pay your way through. I work in a factory 4 AM- 430PM everyday 6 days a week and don't make shit for pay. Everyone has their own things that suck about work so I'm not gonna tell you you can't have a hard day but before you do maybe think about all the other people who have it a hell of a lot harder before your like "lolol my job is so hard like lmfaloolololololol"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo wrote:
Here's a thread where some users are complaining about their jobs, too.

crappy-jobs-have-had-t3323.html

What a great thread! I've made my own unworthy contributions. I'll remember it for the next time someone posts to complain about their crappy job.

Buprecision wrote:
If my daddy doctor gave me a job in his office (and probably paid me more than he would a stranger for the same position) where "the moneys good" and I "get away with alot" Id be embarrassed as hell to come onto a forum like this and make this post. Ive never complained once about my job on here or even mentioned it but to give you an idea how much I would give to trade positions with you I will. I don't have a rich mommy or daddy, I had to get out there and find my own job and when you dont have rich parents to send you to university you take cheap college courses while working hard labor jobs to pay your way through. I work in a factory 4 AM- 430PM everyday 6 days a week and don't make shit for pay. Everyone has their own things that suck about work so I'm not gonna tell you you can't have a hard day but before you do maybe think about all the other people who have it a hell of a lot harder before your like "lolol my job is so hard like lmfaloolololololol"

While I approve of the general message about keeping terribleness in perspective that I got from your post, I don't agree that she should be embarrassed or shouldn't have posted. Complaining is just part of the coping process. We know hers is hard enough to make her want to use, but instead of doing so she came here to share her thoughts with us in the hopes of support. This is something to be encouraged, not mocked. But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Last edited by airhead on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Before creating my own business, I was stressed to the max almost all the time because, trust me, there is at least one or two hugely terrible, unfair and irrational aspects to the way 99% of chemical dependency treatment centers operate.

At one point I was extremely frustrated with my lack of happiness within what I was doing and seriously considered going a completely different direction; I wanted to open a great indie/punk/collectable record store or hip local bar/coffee shop/luncheonette/nighttime rock venue or a small Italian grocery store. I'd still like to do those things, especially be at least a part owner of a daytime coffee shop/luncheonette, nighttime bar/rock club.

But then I was offered an opportunity in the form of an office space by a buprenorphine prescriber and the rest is history.

I think the key is to love what you do, that at least lessens the desire to want to escape reality.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think you are absolutely right Twin City. You have to love what you do. I do not love what I do, but I do love being able to provide my children with everything that they need, and some things that they want. I just try to keep it in perspective and realize that although very stressful and exhausting, it allows me to provide a decent life for the two people that I love more than anything. Not a bad trade, and there are so many others that are much worse off than me.
PinnupGirl, I am sorry to hear that you are not having a pleasant experience at work. I am sure that it would be difficult to work with a family member at times. I don't have any solutions to offer you, but I am glad that you are voicing your frustrations here and not using. I can absolutely relate to feeling so much stress that you want to use opiates. Try to think of the positives as much as possible. I have to do it every day and I swear it helps. Good luck.

Crys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Buprecision wrote:

I just want to say that as a new user of this forum, I think this was a crappy way to respond to what the OP said. You don't know their individual circumstances or how this job might trigger their addiction or endanger their recovery, or just overall make them unhappy. You also don't know what their relationship with their father is, or anything like that.

Reminds me of what we learned in kindergarten....if you don't have anything nice to say.....DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

Thought this forum was supposed to be about supportive each other, not judging. But that's your bad karma, I guess.

That's my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wow! I just got through reading this thread for the first time, don't know how I missed it, but I gotta agree with " thisagain", about mocking pinupgirl's post about her job. I get it that your job is physically hard and the pay may not be optimal, but everyone has stress at work. just because you dont think her stress is as serious as yours, or her job as difficult, doesn't give you the right to disrespect her. this thread is about aspects of our jobs that could trigger relapse. while you may not think her job is all that hard, it may be very difficult for her, especially in recovery to work with addicts daily. also, I work for family, and I can tell you from personal experience that just because it's family doesn't mean it's not hard or stressful. yes, there are benefits to working for family, but there are pitfalls as well. often more is expected of you when you work for family, and work often comes home with you when working for family.personal family situations are often brought to the workplace, where they mix with work issues, and make the work environment even more stressful or sometimes hostile. family drama spilling over into the workplace always sucks! because let's face it, families have drama... all of them! we aren't sure where this person is in her recovery or how it's affected her relationship with her dad/ employer. some people get a break from family disputes at work, but this girl works with family, so even if she and her dad aren't seeing eye to eye about something, it's not like she can go to work and forgetabout it for a while, ya know?
I'm just saying that, everyone has stressors at work that could potentially be relapse triggers and thats what this thread was originally about, looking for some support when the job makes you so crazy, you wanna use. we are here to support each other. I dont think the OP was looking to start a pissing contest over whose job sucks the worst, just looking for others to share and support. I'm sorry your job is so hard and your hours are so long, and the pay stinks. I think most of us have been there or are there now,but let's be nice here, where we shouldn't have to deal with all that crap. there are other forums for that nonsense. if you came to the forum looking for support, you certainly wouldn't want someone to basically call you a spoiled little crybaby and tell you to get over it, right? well, thats pretty much how your reply to The OP came off. certainly not supportive or kind. let's just treat each other the way we'd like to be treated
now, it's Sunday, so, let's all enjoy what's left of our weekend before most of us have to go back to work,ugh! Sigh!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

thisagain wrote:
Buprecision wrote:

I just want to say that as a new user of this forum, I think this was a crappy way to respond to what the OP said. You don't know their individual circumstances or how this job might trigger their addiction or endanger their recovery, or just overall make them unhappy. You also don't know what their relationship with their father is, or anything like that.

Reminds me of what we learned in kindergarten....if you don't have anything nice to say.....DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

Thought this forum was supposed to be about supportive each other, not judging. But that's your bad karma, I guess.

That's my two cents.

Well said. We all have different situations and different lives. Neither worse nor better.... Different.
The internet is too full of people ready to pounce on someone, but this is a place for support. I am not saying that you are not entitled to your feeling and opinions, because you are, but you should also know when it is appropriate to share those feelings. If you can't provide constructive criticism, then just pass up the opportunity to post.

To the OP: no matter your situation, learn your triggers and work to avoid them. You should also try to keep things in perspective as this may help you during your times of stress. When your job is really working on you, just think about how it could be worse. It may help you decide that the issue at hand is NOT that bad and help you handle it a bit better. This in turn would lower your chance of just saying F*** it and decide to use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:37 pm 

Once again, I wish there was a "like" button. :)

Amy