It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Georgia]Hi. I'm brand new to the group and this is my 1st post. I've been taking suboxone since Jan of 2011...So I have a little over 2 years of being clean from IV use of roxy's...I'm taking roughly anywhere from 4-6mg of sub daily. Most of the time just the 4mg. Well I've noticed that my memory is getting so bad. I will start something or be doing something and my 3 year old will ask me to do something for her and I will totally forget what I was thinking or what I had been doing previously...unless something reminds me. It's weird...it's getting worse for me. Also it's also made My mom question if I was still clean which is silly....But nonetheless still freaking me out. I litterally forgot what day I went to the dr last. If I don't keep track of simple stuff I forget. Ok..with that being said...I'm a smart person...just made some bad choices...but my internal clock seems so off. I used to be able to get up & get up on time. I'd like to say big eyed & bushy tailed...now I'm lucky to get up 15 minutes before I'm supposed to be at work...no matter what time I go to bed the night before. I've tried setting my alarm as loud as it will go, setting it across the room, setting 2 clocks, NOTHING seems to work. I'm late for everything...I fear I might get fired from my job if something doesn't change...is anyone else having these problems? I'm on a considerably low dosage...which now physicans are saying it can be a "maitenance dose" 4 or less. So people can remain on suboxone the rest of their lives....I'm so concerned I'm wanting to get of the medicine strictly to get myself straightend back up...but I'm fearful that I'm able to say NO to dope after a long period of not using suboxone...bc with sub I know I can't get high...so it's a mental thing...ANY HELP/ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks! [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:51 pm 

I'm sorry you're struggling with forgetfulness and time management. Also, welcome to the forum!

I have not had trouble with the issues you're facing, but I think that some people are more mentally affected by sub than others. Some people have mentioned feeling like they have some kind of brain "fog", especially on higher doses of sub. So, my first suggestion is to try a bit of a taper. I know you're only on 4 mg/day, but maybe try tapering to 3 mg or 2 mg. If a lower dose improves your symptoms while still keeping the cravings at bay, that could be a solution.

In the meantime, there has to be something that will wake you up on time! I assume that your 3 year old is not an early riser, or you would already be up early enough to get to work. Is there any chance you could change your daughter's routine so that she is going to bed earlier and rising earlier? I don't care how tired I ever was, if I heard my son up when he was little, I was up too. You could even set an alarm in her room so that she gets up and wakes you up.

Another alternative is that you can go online and set a wake up call for yourself. There are several websites where you can set up a free wake up call and even play yourself a specific message. I don't mean to be harsh, but if your life counted on you getting up a certain time each day, you would find a way to do it. You should be able to do this for something as important as your job. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you don't like your job, so you're sort of sabotaging your ability to keep it?

I don't really know what you can do about your memory other than carrying a notebook around and writing reminders to yourself?

I hope any of these suggestions help. Maybe some others will chime in with great suggestions!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When I first started taking suboxone I was taking 10 mgs and I was tired all the time. I literally slept 16 hrs a day. I dropped my dose and at 2 mgs I'm no longer tired during the day but I do feel as if I have some trouble waking up in the mornings. I have found that getting up and going and sitting outside wakes me up pretty well. Sometimes if it's really bad I'll walk around outside for a little bit and that usually does the trick. As long as I get up and do something it's not too bothersome for me.

Some people just have issues with drowsiness while on suboxone, but if you drop your dose you will feel better. I've heard some people on here say that the suboxone gives them energy. I wish it gave me energy instead of making me so dang drowsy lol.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If my daughter gets up. I'm up of course. Sometimes she wakes up early othertimes she will sleep forever. Even if I get her in bed at 8pm. Life prohibits us from going to bed earlier. So regardless of what time I go to sleep...Here I am every day...not going in on time and it's just not work. It's dr appts and other obligations. I took less suboxone yesterday. So far I don't see a change in memory or waking up easier. I'm half tempted just to taper down and get off subs all together to see if that would get my internal clock awake again...(because when I was strung out my butt was at work on time because that's how I got high & before I got strung out I was always on time too)...When I was on too much it made me nod off & that's why I came down on my dosage to 4mg. Maybe I've been on 4 mg for too long...IDK. It used to give me enegry 2 years ago but not anymore. I just feel lost & helpless. Will I ever be normal again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Will I ever be normal again...

Don't take this the wrong way, and this is what the doctor who operates this forum said...but:

Suboxone didn't do this to you. Years and years of abusing opiate painkillers did...so "normal" for you is something you probably can hardly remember. I know for me...I can't remember 10 years ago, before I ever touched a lortab 10...what normal was then. After I got that first "buzz" and stayed on some opiates for about 3 weeks when I had wisdom teeth done at age 22....I didn't feel normal unless I was eating some pills.
So "normal" is by what definition, or who's definition I should say?
Getting older causes some of these things to happen, but moreso, doing such damage to your brain that opiates do will cause your body and brain to age faster than the years should account for. I know I feel much older than I am, but I went on some WILDASS binges when I was doing oxy...and I can't say that Suboxone has caused me to have issues with my health, because in all certainty, it did NOT.
My teeth were rotting out before I ever quit pills and started Suboxone....so I don't have treatment to blame with being almost toothless...a few more trips to the dentist, and another year of Healthcare Tax Saving Account, and I'll finish up the $2800 in extractions and dentures that I have left...then I have to look forward to getting implants.
I can't blame any of that on Suboxone.

If anything, placing the blame directly on myself is all I can do. I did this, I made choices, and part of dealing with my choices is being required to take this small amount of medicine daily because of things I did for years and years...
In my mind, I'm paying a SMALL price with the sacrifices I've made to Suboxone treatment for having my life back...
I would find something that works for me...maybe there are other factors involved instead of solely the suboxone.

I've been on it for 5 years....I don't have no where near the trouble you describe at a much higher dose (12mg or so daily).

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:24 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I only did roxy's for 3 years...compared to a life of drugs...of a user of longer. Not saying it's any better than only abusing for a certain amount of time vs doing it for a longer amount of time. I did iv use & perhaps maybe that's worse. My teeth are ok...maybe I got out before I got too bad. I remember being normal where I did not have to use anything to be ok. My life was on track...had a great job, a car, I had money, I worked a lot of hours...but I got up on time....I never was late. And NO im not blaming suboxone for this...I'm asking if anyone else is having the same issues....It was my fault for trying it the first time. I know the difference between right & wrong & now I'm trying to make my life right again. I don't plan on being on medication the rest of my life to cure my addiction...bc even though I'm much better person on suboxone I wasn't a horrible person before I started my life of destruction & iv binges. Idk...I hoped that I would get a clearer reason to why my life is going in this direction when I'm not using...I don't want to be critized I just want help. Thanks all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ There is nothing wrong with questioning a medication you are on, if you're having severe symptoms that are effecting your life. Any person with half a brain would do this. Just because one person (or many) do not experience the same side effect you're having, doesn't make yours any less real. So please, take some comments with a grain of salt.

Whether it's suboxone related or not is hard to say but if suboxone is the only medication you're taking, it's a darn good place to start. It does sound like what can happen when you take too much but your dose isn't all that high.. so I'm torn as why this is happening. It could just be the way the medication is affects you, or maybe not the medication at all. I'm sorry I am not much help. I did not experience this either. I hope you can figure it out though. *hugs*

Do you wear yourself out during the day? Get to bed a decent time? I'm sorry if I missed this part.. I'm going to re-read your posts..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. Yes suboxone is the only medication I'm taking. I hardly ever take more than 4mg of suboxone. I take it once daily around the same time each day. If need be...I will take another 2 mg(not the norm...If my day is crazy or I just need it.) No I work in an office & my job isn't normally stressful or tiring. I love my job 90% of the time so I wouldn't try to sabatoge it. I normally go to bed anywhere for myself 930-11. Depends on what's going on or what all I need to take care of. I mean it might not necessarily be the suboxone...I have no idea but I never had a problem before & now I do. It's like no matter what I do..it's always the same result. I'm at my whitts end with myself. I'm not placing blame on the suboxone...I just wanna know why & how I can fix myself. I also plan to be my normal self one day without any type of medication. It's just not going to be today. Also I took a smaller dose today again...so hopefully I will see improvements. Thanks for being nice. I appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:39 pm 

I hope you didn't take my post as a criticism. It wasn't meant to be. I know I asked a couple of hard questions, but I certainly wasn't accusing you of anything. I hope that even one of my suggestions was helpful.

I have one more idea. Have you tried taking your sub at a different time of day? I know it's hard to change the pattern of when you dose, at least it is for me, but maybe that could make a difference.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

And one more thing to add...you said you took less today and dont' feel any difference.....
Thanks to the LONG...extremely LONG half-life of suboxone, you aren't gonna see the change immediately. You'll have to lower to a certain dose (say, for instance, 3mg from 4mg) for about 1.5 week or so before you start to notice the difference. Suboxone builds up in your system, and with such a long half-life, it takes QUITE a while to see a change in dosing. I would suggest not giving up and calling it a failure until you've lowered it successfully for at least 2 weeks to see if there is a change. You can't possibly see a change in just one or two days of a lowered dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

wildheathdc2001 wrote:
Hi. Yes suboxone is the only medication I'm taking. I hardly ever take more than 4mg of suboxone. I take it once daily around the same time each day. If need be...I will take another 2 mg(not the norm...If my day is crazy or I just need it.) No I work in an office & my job isn't normally stressful or tiring. I love my job 90% of the time so I wouldn't try to sabatoge it. I normally go to bed anywhere for myself 930-11. Depends on what's going on or what all I need to take care of. I mean it might not necessarily be the suboxone...I have no idea but I never had a problem before & now I do. It's like no matter what I do..it's always the same result. I'm at my whitts end with myself. I'm not placing blame on the suboxone...I just wanna know why & how I can fix myself. I also plan to be my normal self one day without any type of medication. It's just not going to be today. Also I took a smaller dose today again...so hopefully I will see improvements. Thanks for being nice. I appreciate it.

You say you don't do it much, but increasing your dose by 50% is a lot. If you really don't do it all that much, I doubt it's causing these symptoms though. Jonathan is right about needing time to let your new dose even out. Negative symptoms usually don't go away within a day.. usually it will take a few days. I am hoping it is the dose because that would be the easiest thing to correct.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Im going to continue to try the smaller dosage. Hopefully in 2 weeks I will have a new updated progress for you guys. So is there a way for your body to even see the change since it's got such a high half life just as long as you continue using subs will ur body know that you've even decreased?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

yeah, after a period of time passes, you will see it....but as mentioned before, it just takes a little bit.

People REALLY don't realize exactly how strong Suboxone is. They think it's just another drug, like the opiates being abused were. I remember when I would get those IR's (we called 'em IR's...the were the Quick Release Oxycodone..kinda small pill but instant 25mg shot of oxycodone without any time release)...I thought "just another stronger form of lortab..
Pink, blue, white, green....they were all just more pills of the same genre to me....but Suboxone isn't in this category at all...and that's where people are mistaken. While Sub has opiate tendencies...it's NOT an opiate like the others. And the powerful medicine...it just isn't realized exactly HOW powerful this stuff is until you take too much...and too much can be as little as 2mg over your regular 12mg dose...and you're in a daze or dosing off suddenly for no reason or without being tired.