It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi everyone, I have decided to split my once daily dose of .25 into twice daily. I think it will make it easier for me to transition and further taper. I know I am at a small dose (250 mcg.) It has been near 4 weeks at this dose and I believe it has taken the entire time to adjust. I did take an extra .125mg on 2 occasions just to get thru the weekend. It helped & I certainly felt those increases. It did not seem to set me back at all. I have really worked on my sobriety by keeping active and walking daily. I have noticed a slight thought, not so much a craving, but more a split second thought of craving. Hard to explain, but I have not considered using, however the thought crossed my mind of the feeling that I once felt, or something like that. Anyway, I have been talking to the "Man" (praying?) and asking the universe for strength. I do know that this is going to be a daily struggle to different degrees, I am prepared to fight and be strong. I am going to stay at this split dose until I feel stable again. I do not know how splitting my dose will affect me if at all. I can not immagine I will feel horrible as I am on such a small dose & I do believe I am still shedding bupe from my recepters. I still sneeze often and experience symptoms even though they are very slight. I am excited to be near the end. I feel once again ready to be off and I know it will be soon....
Is there anyone else at a point where they are about to jump or be off? Is there anyone else at .25 mg?
Hope everyone is doing wonderful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey sweet16 -

Well done!! I am only at .75 but about to drop to .5..
Here I was thinking I only have a few weeks left?
Did it really take that long to 'normalise'?
Do you use any benzos? How long were you on Suboxone?
I split my dose now 3/4-1/4 but heard someone mentioning maybe
changing to once daily to break the mental "reward" ??!!! I am good with splitting..
whatever gets us to the end ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey C7, I do take 1mg of xannax every night for sleep. I have for 2 years. I actually slowly tapering this too. It has taken me a while to taper. At one point I reduced my dose from 1.25 down to .50 by mistake. I did have a lot of tiredness, but by the time I discovered the huge drop I was already 5 days in. I just kept going. So I CAN say that that I believe I experienced PAWS. I got real depressed. I did however do some rescearch and decided to suppliment with DHEA. It is believed to restore hormone levels which are depleted by opiate use & age. If you are interested in it, google the stuff. I am on10mg every other day which is VERY VERY small amount. I have noticed a HUGE difference but I became very active around the same time. I have noticed the lower I go the longer it takes me to stabelize. SO I have stayed at me new dose for 30 days (per taper57 advise) versus only 2 weeks. It HAS taken me ALL of 30 days to stabelize. I just recently split my dose. I feel it will be easier for me to decrease this way and keep a steady(ier) level of bupe in my system. It has seemed to be fine and actually helped me (its only been 3 days)
IT is GREAT that you are below 1mg. It wont be long C7. We are almost done. I would suggest to just listen to your body. I was so anxious and now I realize I will be off when I get off. I am in no hurry. I just do not want to be on my ass if at all possible. Reading Laddertippers taper thread really sheds light on our situation. GOOD LUCK my friend and keep in touch

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What a lovely surprise finding you'd made the drop already to .5!
Would have been a little confusing?! Do you have the film or tabs?
I think I had some strange false sense of security when I dropped from
1.5 to 1 mg and after day four I felt fine so I dropped again....and thats
when I joined this forum...
think I'll take your advice and take it a lllllittle slower.. I even had a day
the other day where I just wanted to cry like a baby for no apparent reason
other than being sick of the LENGTH of time feeling the lethargy and hanging out etc..
I am definitely agreeing with splitting dose as mentioned earlier..
it makes sense to keep one stable even if it is all mental..
Anyway ta for the advice..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have the films. When I got down to 2 mg. My doctor perscribes me the 2mg strips down from the 8mg strips. As I decreassed below 2mg. I was cutting up my 2mg strips & miscalculated so I ended up taking .5. I was feeling so tired and cranky. I even thought about increassing my dose up a bit. When I discovered I was at ONLY HALF a mg. I had a renewed happiness and just kept on going... Now I think I did feel PAWS because every since that huge drop I have experienced lethargy emotionalness etc. BUT NOW, I feel great. I have been power walking, taking DHEA, I already have a super clean diet of mostly vegetarian w/ some seafood occasionally. Nothing processed other than maybe crackers or something. I have been praying even though I am NOT religeous at ALL. I have been practicing gratitude as well and it has had a HUGE impact. I did have a roommate for 3 months that I think was sucking the living LIFE out of me. Now that she is gone, I seroiusly feel 100 X better. (she was using and I some how remained clean....Different poison though, I used H she uses vicodin & pills YUCK!!) YES I would say the ONE of the things that has helped me the MOST is S L O W. Stabelizing takes now something like 30 days it seems at these lower doses. Either that or the PAWS is catching up w/ me as I was tapering every 10 days -2 weeks. So now I split my dose 3 days ago. I have some mild back pain but nothing a little hot yoga wont help or just wait it out. I will decrease either one of my doses in the next week or so. I will keep ya posted. I can not imagine it being too difficult from here.. BUT ya NEVER know with this stuff..... It has been a rollercoaster. BTW crying is GOOD my friend...After a good cry, I find room for more laughter.... Good luck friend and keep on keeping on!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:33 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I am at .3 and have been for about 5 days so I am dropping to .25 on Wednesday. I have been either really lucky with the drops or I am enduring more wd's than I should be. I am just so excited to get off everything. I was on pills for 3 years follwing surgeries but have only been on subs for about 6 weeks. Started at 8mg and found I could drop really quickly. Below 1mg is definitely harder but if we keep exercising and staying focused we will do it. I am also using the liquid method. I stopped seeing my doctor after 3 weeks because she wanted to keep me at 6 mg for three months and then taper to 5 etc... I do not have the patience for that. Anyway, I went throught the first 8 8mg pills and have 4.5 of the last 6 she prescribed me. I am breaking them in quarters and dissolving the 2mg in 20 ml of water. That way, each cc is .1 mg. Before I was trying to break the pill in to sixteenths and ended up putting pill dust in my mouth for a dose Very inaccurate. I feel relatively stable after 5 days on .3 (down from .4), but think now I will take it down .05mg at a time. Plan on jumping from .05. Hopefully that will be a very soft landing. I guess I am looking at a end of march jump. Good times!!

Thanks for the tip about the DHEA, I will try it. And I have been very emotional too. Crying at supid stuff, when I never cry. But it is definitely cathartic. Keep up with all you are doing and keep us posted!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey No~ I congradulate you for listening to yourself. Had I listened to myself and not my Doctor, I would have got off sub much faster. Anyway it has been a blessing none the less, because I have been able to really get back on track and with all the HELL I have been thru, I most definately learned my lesson. I believe that you will have a much easier time dropping in dose due to your short treatment versus someone who has been on sub longer. Glad that you have the strength and determination. Sounds like there are a few of us on here that are going to be getting off around the same time. Nice to know there will be others going thru the same thing.
I wanted to also give an UPDATE. I skipped my evening dose last night. I felt fine without it. I also cut my xanax dose by 1/4. I slept slightly restless but I feel fine. I think I may take my eve. dose tonight and then skip it every other day till one day I do not need it. That means I will be at .125 mg once daily. Half of that is where I plan to step off. Maybe I will skip days.... We will see..
Anyhow hope everyone is great!! and good luck to all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey sweet,

I just wanted you to know that I've been following your thread and your progress and that I'm uber excited for you, you are SOOOO close.

You've done a super duper taper, you've managed your symptoms really well and I'm 99.9% sure that you're gonna have zip in the way of acute wd. You have put in the hard work and you're about to reap the reward......congratulations!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Rome, I am pretty confident myself that I will be off with little to no problems. I am feeling so good finally that I do not want to decrease again for a while but I also think the sooner I do it the sooner I am DONE dealing with it all. I guess I'm gonna keep it slow however. How are you feeling? Thank you for keeping in touch and as always you are such a respected forum friend and I hope you and yours are happy & healthy....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:32 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Sweet- Thanks for the encouragement. This forum is full of great people who are HONEST. I went back to .4 for yesterday as I was feeling pretty awful. I took .25 this morning and will probably take .1 tonight and back to .3 tomorrow and for a few days after that. I was not given any Canax or CLonidine by my sub doc so I think it is slowing my taper. Less wd's easier to kick right?! I have been taking a shot of NyQuil about every other night to help with sleep and it does really get me through without waking up all the time. I like your idea of alternating the evening dose. When I drop from .3 I think that is how I will do it. Such great ideas on here. Keep me posted. It is really good to talk to others who are exactly where I am.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sweet, I'm doing real good, thanks for asking. I'm coming up on 2 years off of Suboxone and things are really going pretty well. My recovery is going well. I FINALLY learned to stop putting myself into situations where me using drugs was all but inevitable. I know that sounds like a no brainer to stop putting myself into those situations, but it was actually quite difficult to accomplish. It's hard to explain, but the important thing is that I did it. Recovery, for me, is a journey of discovery and a journey with a lot of lessons along the way. I've finally embraced recovery, instead of being pissed off at it....makes a world of difference!!! :lol:

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to decrease. I think you're making the right choice by sticking where you're at for a while. You have to tailor you're taper to YOU....and that's exactly what you've been doing. You SO rock!!

NoMorePills, you're kicking ass and taking names too!! Good job!! Like I just said to Sweet16, you have to work YOUR taper and it sounds like you're doing just that. Keep it up!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rome, I totally understand what you mean by not putting yourself into situations.. Everyone I know has one addiction/habit or another.(even if they do not classify it as addiction) Most of my friends drink a good amount and smoke weed. A few others are HUGE stoners. A couple are pill poppers. Funny I do not have any heroin addict friends (aside from the cousin/neighbor and we NEVER ever hang out) I was a closet H user. Recently I was in deep thought and concluded that if I am not abusing a substance, what am I? Am I straight/clean/sober/dirty/recovering/ somewhere in between? I do take stuff for sleep. I have a cocktail or two, once a month socially, I puff occasionally if I am bored. I realized that I may have to redefine WHO I am. Or do I?
2 years off sub!! That is great! You have a supportive family and this forum on your side. Not to mention experience with the negative effects of drug use. I believe you are on a good road now. Thank you for all your support advise and kind words. It is invaluable. It means a lot. Keep on keepin on brother & I will to..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey sweet, you asked "if I'm not abusing a substance, what am I?" As far as I'm concerned, you're clean and in recovery. I do not agree with NA's stance on eliminating ALL mood altering substances, I do agree with eliminating all mood altering substances that you would abuse, though.

For me, alcohol is a drug that I will never be able to mis-use for any length of time. I've drank a few times since being off of Suboxone, but they're all one time deals. I don't really "enjoy" alcohol, but I will drink from time to time. Truthfully, I drink about twice a year. I drink during the superbowl party I go to and during the Hallowe'en party I go to, that's it. My point is, if you're not abusing one of these mind altering substances, then you're fine, IMO. Unfortunately, I'm not able to enjoy the occasional puff, I'd start using weed again daily in no time at all, same with blow and opiates.....I just can't do those.

As for redefining who you are, as it pertains to your sleep meds or your cocktails or the occasional weed use, I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. If you're not abusing them, who gives a shit, right?

I would be careful with your pill popper friends, heroin is so similar to pain pills that I would steer clear of that crap as best as I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I agree with Romeo. If you have a drug that you would not or do not abuse, I don't see a problem with an occasional head change. For me that is alcohol. I have never liked weed. I can count the times I tried it in college on one hand. A few beers with friends however is something I do once in awhile. I enjoy it and don't get out of control. And Romeo, thanks for the kind words. I got back on .3 yesterday and was a bit uncomfortable but nothing I can]t handle. The freedom to go back up .1mg is huge.

Sweet- Discovering who you are without abusing a substance is part of the journey to recovery. I am remembering more of my old self every day and discovering new thngs about me as well as nobody stays the same over a number of years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Rome & No, I do not have an issue w// booze. I dont drink often and certainly when I do, I know when to stop. I will FOR SURE stay away from those pill poppers. I personally get sick when I take them so it is not like I don't want to be around it becuase of that. I really do not enjoy being around those girls anymore. They are so annoying, the idle chatter, the OCD, the fidggiting and getting sidetracked. I just can not tolerate it anymore. So "OFF whit their heads!" Lol I would never be able to be aroung anyone who uses H because well, that's a no brainer. I would be far too tempted and why tempt fate. Luckily I do not know anyone (except the cousin & I can not tolerate her ONE bit) that uses. I feel pretty safe at the moment. This is why I do NOT go to NA or AA type of meetings. I would attract the biggest looser in there and the rest would be history. ANyway it is getting close to the time where I am gonna be getting off this med. I could easily do it now no doubt. Especially reading about the fella who just jumped w/o a parachute. He sure has a great attitude. Thanks again you guys for always responding and keeping it real.. Have a GREAT weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey Sweet, I hope you had a good weekend. I actually forgot to take my night dose on Friday so today is day 4 on .2mg. I am really tempted to jump too, but I really want a soft landing. I still have more than half of my liquid solution (plus 4 more 8mg pills), so I think I am going to go down to .05 and then jump. SHould finish off my liquid solution.. (I put 2mg in 20ml of water so each CC has .1 mg.)
Anyway, good to hear about your situation. I find my patience for high people is at an all time low now that I am not. Kind of funny. Maybe it is the body's way of helping keep us clean. I never drank when I was on pills so now when I go out and have a couple beers, I find myself being a REALLY cheap date!
As for NA/AA, I just never believed in that system. For those it works for great. For me, the feeling of WD's and the shite over the last two months is more than enough to keep me clear. Though I don't feel like I was an addict, merely dependent on them after so many shoulder surgeries. But that may just be in my head.

What are you at now? Keep me posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey NoMore, Thats exactly how it happened for me. I sort of forgot to take my eve dose BC I was not feeling bad. Sounds like you are stable on your curent dose. It is smooth sailing from here man. I think if you have no set limit, just taper super low. It seems to really make all the difference. I think I could do it from here, but I will ride it out and taper taper low till I can go no lower.
I have NO patients for high people anymore either. JEEZE, and to think I likely behaved that way when I was using too. Forget that. There is nothing that would make me wanna go thru the BS of tapering, the rat race, the kicking . ALl of it is shitty. I feel sorry for those still in the rat race. They have NO IDEA how much better it is here. I mean if I could get high and behave like I do now & stay healthy, I would, but we ALL know that IS NOT possible. So clean I am ... ANd w/ booze, I mean a few dosen't hurt once in a while, but I do not need it for a good time for sure. & I'm a cheap date now too. Before I could have spent $200-$300 in an evening OR more if drugs were involved.
I do not do NA/AA either. In my experience which is very little, it seems there are too many users & abusers there and I am not comfortable in that situation. So why go? I am dong great on my own.
Thanks No More, I had a great weekend (I worked) Thank you for the positive words. You are doing great too and I am so happy for us both!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:40 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Me too!! I keep waiting to start spazzing out on the .2mg dose but it is not happening. I found a park near my house that has like a 2 mile loop that I am going to start walking tonight and every day I am going to add in more and more jogging to start getting my cardio back. I have been lucky to not blow up with not working out on the pills but I really want to just kick ass and get into really good shape and totally healthy (also look good before pool season starts here). I also found a lot of hypocrisy at AA. I had to go because of a stupid choice when I was 21.
Totally agree about the as low as you can go. I suppose I could make an even weaker solution and go to like .0125 a day but I would rather just be done. Have a few clucks (as I call them) and be off everything after getting to about .05 or so. That is a few weeks away but if I feel crappy on a new dose, I have no problem going back to the prior dose for a day to stabilize.

Glad you had a good weekend, even if it was spent working. The fact that we are so low and CAN work is a good thing. Keep doing great and let me know when you drop again. Want to know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Walking is GREAT! I do it often. I go up and down pretty steep hills in my neighborhood. (i should cary a knife) But it helps better than ANY other thing. I will too take extra if I need to . I am not gonna suffer too much. Afterall, I am still an addict and being uncomfortable in this day and age is NOT gonna happen. But I am determined and I will kjeep ya posted on my progress. I am at .125 now for tha past 3-4 days. I do not really have WD but my back aches a bit. So do my knee joints. My energy is not GREAT but i smoke a little weed and take xanax at night (3/4 mg) I am strict vegetarian but I have started eating eggs lately and i notice my body craving them so I am guessing I need the protine. and I am lagging on my walking too... So the energy is not HUGE BC I still do more in one day than many people do in 3. I am pretty strict with myself. I really push myself at every level.
I may stay here for another week or so. Then in HALF again for 2 weeks then OFF (or skip days???)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:13 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Haha, I brought my pocket knife (it is a big poaket knife though) wiht me. I live in a pretty good part of the city, but the route is deserted and goes through the flood basin, so you never know. I felt great after the walk. And the good feeling lasted for about an hour after and then normal. Today I am cutting the .2mg into 2 doses. I am going to try to just take .05mg tonight and stay at .15 for a few days to adjust then .05 twice a day. Soon, I should be able to jump. I would kill for a xanax to help me sleep. For now it is Nyquil saving the day.