It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This has been running through my mind, as I struggle with tapering and watch other people blaze through it....well, not everyone, but certainly some.

I've been on Sub since the fall of '05. It was either Sept. or Oct. Started really low. It was either .25 or .5, but I know one 2-mg tab lasted a long time and I had trouble splitting it accurately, but it didn't matter as long as I took the whole tab over a period of days. After 2 months, I was up to 8 mg, which I know for a fact because I was inpatient for alcohol and they were giving me my Sub (8 mg). Then it got easier to go up and I went pretty quickly up to 32 mg. Stayed there a good while, maybe 1.5 years, got a new doc and began slowly tapering down to about 12 mg. Got pregnant. Tapered down to 3 for 9 months, had surgery and went back to 8 mg. Went back down to 3 and got (what I thought was) stuck. Stayed there at 3 until last year when I went through another surgery and went back to 8. Started tapering in Oct. of last year.

So.....it's been up and down on the dose, but I've been on Sub a long time and taken a whole hell of a lot over these many years. I'm just wondering if possibly anyone on here has taken it longer than that or perhaps a shorter time but at a consistently high dose. A couple people have been on since '06. Can I get an .04?! I really don't want to hold a record in this area. I hope my liver is okay. :o I know that stuff is supposed to be monitored, but my Sub doc now doesn't do it. I had a bad liver enzyme test back when I was drinking badly, and I was only 21. I did have a liver test with the past year and it was okay. I still worry about my liver, which was a primary reason I never overdid the painkillers. Just too scared after all the drinking I did! I was told Sub was safe for the liver, but now I've read stuff that says otherwise and the duration and amounts I've taken make me really worry. I mean, 32 mg!? I really had no clue what I was even taking. That's my fault. 100%.

It's bugging me to be wondering if I've actually taken more Suboxone than anyone else on this entire forum. If so, I just hope it's still okay, KWIM?

laddertipper

Post subject: 32 mg 1 and 1/2 years
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hi ladder. why were you on 32 1/1/2 years. is it the alcohol and drugs why you took such a high dose so long. oh and pain too?
my liver enzymes were bad when i was younger. this is going to sound grouse". i been eating raw garlic every day for the past year. garlic cleans the blood, and revives the lungs. clean blood helps the wall's" of the liver. 5 months ago i had my liver checked in a very well known hospital dartmouth hitchcock in N.H. and they said the garlic cleaned the drugs i took, off the walls of my liver. they were "stunned". my liver test was good. not telling you to eat raw garlic,but it sure cleaned my liver!!
i thought i herd some one taking suboxone for 9 years, on this site or another one. sorry if this post is not what your looking for. the garlic sure helped me physically. but mentally it kinda slows down my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too started taking sub in 2005 but didn't take it daily untill Nov 23, 2007, I stayed on 32mg for 2 years and then went to 24mg which I still take daily, I find no problems with the dose I take it is all about what you feel comfortable with I have no intentions (as of right now) of ever going off of them if I don't have to. So if you don't feel like you are ready to taper off then in my opinion don't. I also have Hepatitus C do to my heroin use before the Suboxone and to date my AST/ALT tests all come back within normal limits. Hope this helps.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

taran1 wrote:
I too started taking sub in 2005 but didn't take it daily untill Nov 23, 2007, I stayed on 32mg for 2 years and then went to 24mg which I still take daily, I find no problems with the dose I take it is all about what you feel comfortable with I have no intentions (as of right now) of ever going off of them if I don't have to. So if you don't feel like you are ready to taper off then in my opinion don't. I also have Hepatitus C do to my heroin use before the Suboxone and to date my AST/ALT tests all come back within normal limits. Hope this helps.

Well, yes it does help, actually. I like knowing that at least there's someone who has taken as much Sub as I have, and the fact that you do have Hep C and still have normal liver tests makes me feel much better.

I am ready to taper. I think I am. I'm just scared and that's all.

Thanks,
laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

[font=Century Gothic]I have also been on suboxone for an extended period of time....4 years and 3 months....I always had an excuse for not getting off of the suboxone, mainly because I was afraid of withdrawing. I do not take a high dosage though and I have been working on tapering (I have made it down to 0.75mg/day--I was taking around 6mg/day before). At this point in my life, I couldn't imagine ever going back to opiates, but I know after being in pain long enough there's always the possibility of desperation.

I do not think I have ever had my liver enzymes checked while on suboxone....unless they checked it when I had routine bloodwork done for my primary care doctor. I should probably look into that at my next appointment. I wasn't sure if you were able to take suboxone during pregnancy, but I guess that's good to know. That's another reason I wanted off the suboxone, I do plan on having a family someday..[/font]

Post subject: Aug 2006
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on 16mg of Suboxone since Aug 2006 and I'm coming up on 5 years of sobriety on Aug 10th. I plan to stay on Subs for a long time. During my first year of sobriety I started HCV treatment for 6 months and and I'm now in remission from active addiction and HCV. I've been attending 12-step meetings since I started Subs too. I just received my AAS degree in Human Services/Addiction Studies and will start the Rutgers BSW program this Fall. Suboxone has been a godsend in my life and w\out it I would probably spend most of mt days obsessing about opiates. I did the rehabs and detoxes and would always go right back to opiates. Everyone's different, but for me Sub maintenance is the way to go. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats on your SVR Heather.

I just started on the Interferon combo treatment 2 weeks ago. Would be good to know your thoughts / experiences.

PS: If you've been clear of HCV for years, you can now technically say you've been "cured" of your HCV. Interferon is considered a cure if you remain cleared for over 6 months post treatment. Congrats!

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker- HI!!
Yes. I am considered "cured" of the active virus, but will always have HCV. I did interferon/ribavarin for 24 weeks and I made sure I took my interferon injection on Fridays so I would have the weekend to recoup. My mom is an RN so she would give me the injections in my stomach. The only complaints I have were chronic fatigue. Other than that treatment was easy for me. I had Genotype 3A so my success rate was over 80%. I think it's about $30,000 treatment. I am so grateful that the Veterans Affairs paid for everything. The VA plays an important role in my recovery!! I have no complaints to date.

I still went to my 12-step meetings, even though I was tired all the time. The only person I told was my sponsor and she was so loving and helped me when I was down. I stayed on 16mgs of Suboxone and it didn't interfere with my treatment at all.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
I only wish you the best!!! You'll do great. :D
- Heather

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You will always have antibodies. Everything else is AOK.

Things are a lot better for me at the moment. Anyway, bad thread hijack.

Continue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone since June of 2004. My dose has went up and down through the years. The highest dose I was on was 28mg. per day and that was in the beginning. I relapsed right after being sober for one year. I went into inpatient treatment and later a halfway house. I was their for a year. The halfway house didn't approve of my suboxone treatment and they had the doctor weaning me. When I left I was on 4 mg a day. After leaving facility the doctor increased my dose back up to 24. Later I got pregnant and I got my dose down to 2mg. I went back up to 12 after the birth. I got pregnant 5 months after the last pregnancy and I got my dose back down to 2 and actually stopped taking it for 5 days before the babies birth. I went back up to 20 and am now at 14. When I was pregnant I wanted to get my dose down as much as possible. After my second son I had a lot of dental work that needed to be done. The work took 6 months to do and I was in bad pain a good portion of the time. That is kind of how my dose got so high the last time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:30 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

My sobriety date is November 25, 2003 and I think I started sub on the 27th so it's coming up on 8 years for me. I consider it like my paxil, I might be on it forever but you never know. I'm currently at 3 mg and have been there for two years now, I always thought that was my maintenance dose and would take it forever. Lately though I've been a little worried about long term side effects. I just turned 40 and for some reason I've been thinking about my health alot more than I used to. I've even thought about trying to lowe my paxil (30mg) and I used to be content with taking that forever. The only problem is the side effects from not taking my meds could much worse. Anyway almost 8 years for me.

Post subject: On Subs Since 2005...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

For what it's worth, I've been on Suboxone since either late
Feb or early March of 2005, when I switched from Methadone (my insurance did not cover methadone then)
to Suboxone (which my insurance covers now- and I don't have to drive to get to treatment.)

I also have HepC; went through treatment last year with Interferon and Ribavirin
for three months- but my red blood cells went down so low that I had to
discontinue that treatment.)
My liver enzymes have been a bit elevated- but not very much;
and I do not blame it on the Suboxone. (I am on several other medicines
that may have caused this.)

I will find out next month what my present liver enzyme level is,
when I go to the Liver Center in the city. They take my blood right there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

started methadone treatment for opiates in june of 2007 and entered suboxone treat. dec 07. i've been on 32 mg a day all the way down to 6 mg a day. i currrentley take subutex (generic) 2mg / 4x day and it is a great dose for me.