It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Any RN's in Virginia?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and feel very lucky to have found it. :D

I have recently moved to Virginia and am faced with literally having to start my life over, from the bottom up. Part of my rebuilding is the plan to return to school to peruse a degree in nursing. My one concern/question is as a Suboxone patient will the VA RN'S licensing board allow me to sit for the exam?

I've tried to find the answer to my question online but have been unsuccessful. I'm hoping there is a RN from Va on the board, or someone who is knowledgable on this issue who can answer my question or point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi TamiB and welcome to this great forum.

Im an RN but I'm in WA state. In WA, RNs can practice while taking suboxone. I'm not sure about other states.
If I was you, I would just call the board and ask. If you are worried just give a fake name. You could also find out the name of the group who monitors addicted health proffessionals. In WA its called Washington Health Professional Services. They would be the best people to ask.

I hope you can find out and I hope your state is as progressive as mine!

Congrats on making a better life for yourself. Feel free to keep posting here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Orange doll wrote:
Hi TamiB and welcome to this great forum.

Im an RN but I'm in WA state. In WA, RNs can practice while taking suboxone. I'm not sure about other states.
If I was you, I would just call the board and ask. If you are worried just give a fake name. You could also find out the name of the group who monitors addicted health proffessionals. In WA its called Washington Health Professional Services. They would be the best people to ask.

I hope you can find out and I hope your state is as progressive as mine!

Congrats on making a better life for yourself. Feel free to keep posting here!

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome Orange Doll.

I think I'll take your advice and just call them, using an alias.

Thanks again for the welcome and I do intend to do some posting and a lot of reading.

Take care

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: HPSP
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think that HPSP (Health Professionals Services Program) is national but you would not have to get involved with them (and wouldn't want to, quite frankly) unless there was some speculation or reporting to whatever Board you're governed by. I currently have to deal with HPSP as a clinician and it's a lot of hoops to jump through, quite honestly. How would the Board themselves know you're on Suboxone? Unless you self-disclose, at this time I don't think I've heard of anyone who's been 'found out' by a standard test. Granted, in the years to come Buprenorphine will probably be tested for a bit more frequently, but currently it's almost a non-issue. I'd do what someone else suggested and call the Board with that question to see what they have to say. Best of luck!

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:35 am 

Tami,

Hi and welcome to our forum! I don't have any answers for you, unfortunately, but I thought of another good resource for you. allnurses.com is a very active nursing forum, and they have a section on nurses in recovery. You could probably ask your question here: http://allnurses.com/nurses-recovery/

Good luck!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:05 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am an RN, not from VA, but maybe I can help you out a lil. Each state has it's own set of RN laws, governed by that state's Board of Nursing. I am on methadone & have found it very difficult to find a direct answer to if it's ok for an RN to practice while on any narcotic med. Some states (Louisiana, for example) have specific statements that basically say you cannot practice while dependant on any narcotic medication that may "cloud your judgement". Where I live (PA) I have read the RN laws & they aren't very clear; basically say that if you are found to be practicing while dependant on any narcotic you can not only lose your license but also be held liable for anything that might happen (people make mistakes, nurses are people, it happens!) & I am afraid if anything would happen would have a hard time proving in court that you didn't make the mistake due to side effects of the med. Also, you need to carry liability ins even for school & to practice as an RN, you probably won't have a problem getting ins, but if anything would happen they most likely would'nt cover you! I wish someone had told me this before I went to nursing school! At the time i started pain meds for chronic degenerative diseases/injuries & i never really thought anything of it. Most places will require a drug test to hire you & that's where you run into problems; it's likely subs won't show up (none of my meds ever have) but they usually ask if you are on any meds that may show up & if you are honest that's how they find out (& also usually when u get told politely to 'hit the road')! I did call the state board of nursing & the reply was that it's a very "grey area" so pretty much no help there! If I could go back & start over I would have just chose to go to school for something else, but I'm really not trying to discourage you from
Nursing if that is what you really want; just trying to spare you the misery i am going through not being able to use the nursing license i worked so hard to attain & the huge debt that comes w/it! I would def. suggest calling the VA state board of nursing & also local hospital HR offices to ask if they would hire an RN who is on suboxone before you invest so much time & $! Good luck! & if you have found an answer, please post because it could be useful to others in the same situation! I know I've had a very hard time finding much info!