It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello there,

I'm new to suboxone, but not recovery. I am 10+ years sober from alcohol, and after a very long evolution with pain meds of all different types for my lifetime of headaches, about 3.5 years ago I became addicted to tramadol. The irony here is it was given to me because they refused a refill of vicodin. Even more ironic, was I wasn't even abusing the vicodin. I guess you could call it a relapse, but it happened innocently out of seeking relief from chronic pain. In any case, I'm on suboxone now and it's helping. It even helps my headaches. Haven't had one since beginning the treatment. I've very grateful to have found it, actually.

What I would like to ask, is this...are there any people out there that work in a professional job and are going about their business day to day, and also being treated with suboxone? I'm struggling with feeling like I've completely failed. I'm ten years behind everyone else in corporate America (I was drunk through my 20s and didn't start college until 29), but on top of it all, now I'm the junkie in the office.

Although I am really benefitting from using the subs (wow, I'm starting to use the lingo too), I feel so alone with this secret. I'm sure there are all walks of life living with this treatment, but it would help my sense of isolation if someone had a story to share. I know I'm being hard on myself, but that's what these forums are about...support right?

J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:50 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Welcome to the forum Haverj1!!

Congrats on your decision to take your life back!

I'm 38. I've been drinking/using since my early teens. The harder drugs and opiates began when I was in college. I've completed in-patient, out-patient, private therapy, and methadone. NONE of it worked for me. About 7.5 yrs ago, I decided to do something different. Suboxone truly saved my life!

I was an oral surgery assistant when I began Sub treatment. This medication has never hindered me in any way. I've only grown stronger, smarter, and healthier each day I include it in my recovery.
I would venture to say that there are all classes of people in many professions whom benefit from a medication assisted recovery.

Here are a few things I've accomplished while on Suboxone:
- Became a better mom, wife, daughter, employee, and citizen
- Delivered a healthy baby boy (without any complications or NAS)
- Conpleted oral IV sedation course & became a certified IV assistant. Successfully place IVs.
- Created my own business from nothing and grew it into a highly profitable one
- Significantly improved my diet & made exercise a daily priority (currently in best physical shape EVER)

What Suboxone has done for me is to finally make me feel "normal". It's also given me the courage to
battle demons that have been haunting me my entire life.
There's no shame in including this medication in your recovery. It's a true godsend!
Please continue to post and update us on your continued success!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Marie! Your kind feedback is very helpful.

J

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 am 

Good morning J, Welcome! We have a lot in common! Tramadol became my drug of choice too! I am a social worker who has worked with people who are dealing with addiction and mental illness. Talk about feeling like a failure! Here I was counseling people about the disease of addiction and keeping a big secret about suboxone! Only four people know of my suboxone use. Tramadol was prescribed to me for osteoarthritis. I was also experiencing some depression related to menopause and the trams helped lift me out of that. Before you knew it, I was popping up to 40, 50 mg pills per day. I am so lucky to not have had a seizure at that dosage. When they changed the class of trams and they got difficult to find, August of 2014, I started suboxone. It has been smooth sailing ever since! The suboxone has also helped me with depression and pain. Did you know that they are studying it for these uses as well? So, I think about it this way, I have a successful and happy marriage, I have two social work jobs in which I am highly respected, and I am a good, fair, honest, decent person. Sounds like that is true for you too! No room for guilt! Enjoy your day!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Michelle! Hearing your story is very helpful to me. We definitely have a lot in common. I'm grateful to have found this forum.

J

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I treat a wide range of patients with buprenorphine medications, including a number of business owners, including a couple with large-scale businesses with hundreds of employees. I treat an attorney, a couple nurses, a police officer, and a top administrator of a healthcare organization. I treat an independent insurance salesperson, a retired paramedic, and a veterinarian.

I'm trying to think about the other jobs people have... a couple patients have jobs in sales that require them to fly around the country, or between the Milwaukee area and offices in Massachusetts or Florida. A couple patients work in cell phone stores. A couple are care salesmen and a couple are mechanics. Many work in factories, some as machinists or CNC operators. Many work in the construction or roofing trades. A couple are electricians or plumbers at a range of certification. Several are students in college or tech school.

For almost all patients I've seen, buprenorphine medications can provide the opportunity to put opioid dependence into remission-- similar to how we can treat, but not cure hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, Crohns and other auto-immune disorders, and most cancers.

Realize that there are few diseases that modern medicine 'cures'. We can 'cure' many bacterial infections, but that ability is slowly eroding. Other infectious disorders are rarely 'cured', so we instead focus efforts on preventing transmission of viral illness (like AIDs, hepatitis, herpes, or genital warts).

We TREAT illnesses,usually with long-term medication. We even use long-term medications when people don't yet EVEN HAVE the disease-- for example using medications to lower cholesterol, to PREVENT heart disease. Yet for some reason, people have a bias against long-term medication to treat one of the top killers of young people(!) I could see if the medication, buprenorphine, had severe risks, but in reality buprenorphine is far safer than medications routinely used for less-serious illnesses.

People addicted to opioids face long odds; the risk of relapse is high, and relapse carries high risk of lost jobs, lost relationships, and even death. Those things are just as much worth protecting against as anything else-- which is why I've become such an advocate for buprenorphine medications.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:46 pm 

Thank You Dr. Junig for such a perfect answer. We need not say more.

Rule
(retired Human Resources, Safety, employee with the U.S. Postal Service)