It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: any poppy tea users?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm interested in hearing from any tea users out there. Or of course anyone at all with some knowledge of proper dosing.

Saw one doc and he gave me a prescription for 6 mg (2 mg 3x a day). I decided not to use the prescription
as I didn't much like the guy. Plus he charges a fortune. But beyond that I just somehow didn't trust him.

The second guy prescribed 8 mg 3 times a day. Wildly different obviously. I have a feeling the second doc
is closer to what's needed. I've been on this stuff for 12 years without a break. Habit has slowly but surely grown to the point that I have to take a lower dose for a day or two to get a good effect the 3rd day with a larger dose. But there's no way to quantify size of habit. So prescribing has to be a guessing game it seems.

I do weigh the ground poppy I use, but that's not too useful either for dosing purposes...unless perhaps I could compare with another tea drinker who's jumped to sub.

One question.... would it be better on the first day to at least ease into things a bit, rather than slamming down 8 mg right out of the gate? I see that I can't cut the film I've been prescribed into smaller pieces..

Would greatly appreciate any help.

G.

Post subject: Re: any poppy tea users?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You had a prescription for Poppy tea? That just plum amazes me! Never heard of such! Oh no hun, I don't know why the heck it sais to not cut those films on the warning label, but I assure you, you can. They are too big to go under my tongue so I cut then in half and use half of one at a time. I was also weary of that warning when I first got on Suboxone. I'd think, "Now why would they put that on there if it was ok to cut the strip." But I assure you, It will work. Suboxone is a strong medication. And if you hold it under your tongue, a good 15 minutes, it will work, even if it comes out from under your tongue. LOL Something else they didn't tell you, Suboxone can be absorbed from anywhere in the mouth. As long as you don't swallow it. But even then it's absorbed a little. I swear, I don't know what to tell you about what dose to start out at. I think your Dr. was going to have you on quite a large amount... I know nothing about the tea you was on, but hope to learn more. You wont be left hanging though. This is a wonderfully supportive forum and I imagine there are people out there doing the research now just to answer your question. Just hold on hun, and someone will get back with you on this matter. I'll check on you before the night is over, ok. Welcome godfrey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I assume "the guy" who prescribed the tea was a homeopathic Dr.? Are you from the states? Where do you live, if not. Are you going to start the Suboxone today? If not, when? Sorry so many questions. Did you have actual dried poppy, or poppy seeds? Just trying to figure this tea out. LOL It's very interesting to me.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry, ok I just re read your other post and see that "the guy" was actually the Dr. prescribing the Suboxone films, so scratch that question. LOL I am just in awe about the Poppy tea... Not that I'm going to use it yall! But about the dosing, and definitely if you don't want to take the full amount, do as Jenn wrote out. Wait the 24 to 36 hours. Of corse, the longer you can wait the less likely you are to experience precipitated withdrawals, which scared the be Jesus out of me too. But don't be frightened, as it doesn't happen to the majority who do it right by waiting. But I'd start off at 2 mg, or 4 mg, then wait 45 mins. and the go up 2 mg more, then wait and see how you feel. Keep repeating that cycle, just like Jenn said in the other post. She probably explained it better that me, so go back and read her's. Good luck to you. Will check back later. Bama girl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I reckon start low. I've seen doctors prescribe 16-24mg Suboxone to patients who were using codeine only two or three times a week. ie they were barely physically dependent on the codeine. Then when I saw them 2 days into their suboxone treatment, they were SMASHED on 16mg of Suboxone. Could barely keep their eyes open. They were LOVING it, but now they're dependent on a much higher dose of Sub than they needed in the first place.

So for anyone going on Sub for the first time, I think there's merit in taking 2 or 4 mg first up and then seeing how you feel. If 2 or 4 mg keeps the cravings away all day until you wake up the next day, then there's no point in taking 16-24mg. Going to those high doses will only leave you even more hooked on opioids than before you started treatment.

Bear in mind this is my total unprofessional opinion, so take with a grain of salt if you may. But if I could have my time over, and was given a dose over 12mg and I was only using poppy tea or codeine, I'd cut the dose with scissors at first and see how I feel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks teejay...

I agree with you. My plan is to start slow by cutting them up and going from there.
Very confusing at first to get two so drastically different prescriptions....the first guy for a total of 6
mg the first day, the second for up to 24. Poppy tea is not weak by the way. Pure opium.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Godfrey,

I have taken poppy tea but only when I would run out of my usual pain killers. And yes it is strong. Even still, I would suggest cutting the subs in half and just taking half your dose. Even though poppy tea is strong, so is suboxone so start slow and wait a few hours to gauge how you feel. f you feel like you are still in withdraws, then take another 1/4. until you finish the whole strip.

I have inducted a few times and that is what i normally do and have NEVER experience PWithdraws. So that being said, i would give it go as soon as possible.

Good luck to you.