It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: any news about films
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ok I got a paper extra in my bag when I picked up my medicine this month. I still had the tablets but I had an extra paper with the usual paper showing how to properly put a film under the tongue. So I also had a paper on the pills like usual? So any news on if you have to eventually accept the film or go without? And my insurance still only covers the name brand in a quantity of 30. They only cover buprenorphine in quantity of 5 at a time at ten dollars per 5(60 per month) .Suboxone costs me 41$ for 30. Insurance is nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:35 pm 
I dont know much about the films other than people are being forced to switch. Is that what your asking? I was slightly confused as to what your question was but i think thats what you meant. It basically started out where some people said they were much better and some people said they hated them. Now as time has went on, more and more people have started to dislike them. I personally dont take them because i take subutex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am one of those people who didn't like the film, so my doctor put me back on the tablets. He didn't have any problem doing that and did not say that I would eventually be forced to take the films. Some people have said the pills will be phased out, but not all doctors say that. I don't think there's a clear answer on that yet.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: The Film
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:49 pm 

I don't get what isn't to like about the film. It dissolves right away w/o the long lasting taste. Oh yes, there is the same taste, but minor. It also makes it so much easier to taper, especially now that it comes in 2mg strength too.

Insurance is another story. My BCBS wouldn't cover the film at the normal rate at first. A few months later it ended up the same as the pills.

Why would anyone want those large lousy tasting pills? Plus they are so hard to cut up when tapering down.

So if you haven't tried it yet and are going off what you're reading here, my guess is most people will prefer the film over the pill any day.

Just my usual 2¢

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:43 pm 
Heres a few things not to like about the flims

1. They have no preservatives like pills and once the package is opened they will degrade
2. They are delicate and you have to make sure you have zero moisture on you fingers when touching them
3. They can easily get stuck in a shitty spot under your tongue or get stuck to teeth and get wasted
4. They dont dissolve much faster than pills unless you help them along with your tongue
5. They are hard to get under your tongue in the right spot and you need a mirror and cant take them on the go as easy
6. They only exist so that when a generic suboxone comes out people will be hassled by their doc if they want to switch to it
7. They have an expiration date of 4 months vs 1 year like the pills
8. Lots of pharmacies have to order them and dont stock them
9. the package is hard to open if you are out and about and dont have scissors
10. I find them harder to gauge where the middle is to cut them evenly where as the pills have the cross on it that has the longer line that divides it right down the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's a great list! Very accurate. I definitely think tabs are preferable, but I am going to stick with the films through my taper though, especially since switching was kind of stressful cause I was worried I'd be going up on my dose. I'm hoping I'll only have to fill twice more only, and of course, that's right before that discount card expires.

I am wondering if the general belief is still that the films are significantly stronger than the tabs. When I switched, I went from 5 mg (made up of 4 mg of tab and 1 mg film) to all film and dropped to 4.25. I still experienced a period of w/d symptoms, even with that small of a drop. So, overall it seems like the tabs and film were about the same strength. Maybe that's because I was holding my tab doses under my tongue for a full hour and also frequently powdering them as well? IDK, but I wonder now that I'm on films only, when I am at 2.5 mg, how much am I 'really' taking. Like, if I switched back to tabs, would I be able to stay at 2.5? And if I taper off the films, do I need to taper to a lower microgram amount than if I was on tabs?

complicated! I wish I could just scan my forehead and get a reading on how much Bup was really in my system.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am surprised to hear that people don't like the films too! Not to argue but I just feel like people either wont give them a chance or are afraid to try something different. Which is perfectly fine...

I have had both the pills and films get kinda stuck on my teeth but they still dissolve and therefore are effective. My doctor told me there really isn't one exact spot where the sub strip should go...either side or the middle of the tongue works! So, I don't think a mirror is necessary.

I don't really see why 4 months isn't long enough for an expiration date. I understand some people might save up a few extras so they feel safe in case prescriptions take long but why would you need it to last more than 4 months?

I will say that my pharmacy has to order my films but I take the RX in one day prior to my fill date and they are ready the next day after 4pm! I would think most people are pro active when it comes to filling sub prescriptions anyway!

I would agree the package can be tricky but if you notice it has a slit, you can easily tear straight across! And they are much easier to fold in half then break a pill exactly in half without losing crumbs!

Again, I am not trying to say someone's opinions aren't right..I just want to let other people know they aren't so bad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Personally, I hate the taste of the films, and I gave myself weeks to get used to them before I went back to the tablets. I'm not tapering anytime soon (I take them for pain, too), so that benefit to the films (cutting them down easily) isn't important for me. Plus I've gotten into the habit of dosing in the car sometimes and you really can't get them out of the package safely while you're driving.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I like the films better then the tabs just because they do dissolve faster. One thing I don't get is people saying they expire in 4 months and are hard to open. My film expires in one year. And I have been on them for 2 months and I open them and take them on the go ith ease. I did have some side effects when I first made the change but most of them are gone except for the dam constipation

Post subject: Keep Both
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:41 pm 

There seems to be a lot of preference for one or the other so I wonder if the pharmaceutical company will keep both on the shelf to please both sides. That would make the most sense, but who uses that anymore?

At first I figured they came out with the films so one could taper easily. But if that was the case, why isn't there some even spaced markings on them? The pills have a score mark, why not the films?

We will see what happens in the months to come on whether they will continue to make the pills. I surely hope so after reading the posts on this topic. The main reason I like them is they dissolve quickly, you can cut them to taper, (which I'm doing) and that slim package fits right in my top pocket for later on in the morning. If its a half, it seems to be the same hours later as long as you don't get it wet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I wish my pharmacy would switch to the strips im tired of jerking with the orange monsters. My insurance only covers name brand and I really hate the nalaxone it gives me headaches so I spit it out when possible. Yuck

Post subject: Scary Incident
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:06 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I like the films for the most part, but due to small children in the house I have to be very careful with dosing. One day I was in the kitchen and I was cutting a 1/2 of a strip in half and one of the 1/4 pieces fell. My 12 month and 27 month son were in the kitchen with me. I quickly grabbed up the infant and took the toddlers hand and put them in my bedroom where my 13 year old watched them as I searched for the missing strip. It took over 3 hours to find it. I was so scared that it perhaps fell on my clothes of got stuck to the bottom of a foot and was drug somewhere else in the house. Was I ever going to be able to find it? What happens if I don't and weeks down the road my baby does? I did find it, but I was very scared of the what happens if I can't. At one of my doctor appts. he informed me about a patients who dropped a couple pills on the floor. She thought she got them all, but one was left. Her 3 year old found it and stuck it in his mouth. She saw him put it in and immediately got it out. He got no more that a lick, but that lead to a day in the ER for monitoring. His pupils constricted, he threw up though out the day, and had to be given a shot of Narcan because his O2 levels fell. These strips dissolve so much faster that the pills. If a child did stick it in there mouth it would dissolve immediately. I have always kept my meds locked up, but now I only take them in the master bathroom( It is a room in the house that the children aren't allowed in.) This actually happened on day two of the films and I took the film with me out to the kitchen where their was a scissors. Prior to this I had always taken the pill form in the bedroom away from the children. I didn't want them seeing me put in a orange pill that looks like a piece of candy. When on the pill form I always wished that it had the option of coming like subutex(with out the flavor or coloring.) Kids will put anything in their mouth, but if it tastes bad they will spit it out faster.

It was just a scary situation for me to have been in and I should have know better than to try to cut it apart in the same room as the little ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Woah...that's scary and can happen so easily. I've dropped a lot of film pieces. That's why I started using tweezers to pick them up. I have a high-ish shelf in my closet that I have my scissors and tweezers and a mirror and stuff on. A number of times, I folded a film and got the piece ready to put in my mouth and it fell, either out of my hands or the tweezers even. I've had some panicked moments looking for those .125 or .25 pieces. They've gotten stuck on my clothes and I cannot find them until later when I see one on the floor. It's really hard to see a teeny piece. I vacuum that closet so much. I kinda take for granted that my kids won't put stuff in their mouths, but kids do weird stuff sometimes. Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to vacuum again tomorrow and make sure I lean over the shelf so nothing at all falls. It's easy to forget just how strong even small pieces are.

laddertipper