It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

any christians on suboxone? I dont mean someone who "considers themself a christian" or "believes in God" I'm talking about regenerated, rebirthed born again Christ-loving, God fearing Christians. I used to be addicted to oxycontin and am now down to 2mg of subs a day but am having trouble quitting and it has been hurting my relationship with God, badly.... I feel he has given opportunities for me to stop and fill me with his spirit, but I have been disobedient and now I am further from him. I am 23 years old, from ohio and a leader in my church and i lead a Bible study. I want to move on and finally have this last aspect of my former life pass me. i have trusted God and been cured is so many countless aspects of my life. he has sanctified so many other sins i thought i could never beat, but now i cant let this go.... and i know if paul would have got caught up in a sin like this he would have repented and enjoyed the pain of withdrawel, rejoicing in suffering to be obedient to Christ.... but i cannot. And I am so hardcore. Christ is my life and I want to lead people, but I cant lead myself right now. I know Christians arent perfect but I think he has made it clear he wants me off. I rely more on the pills than him and it clouds my vision and my discernment. many christians have gone cold turkey off harder drugs with his help.... i feel like i have little faith because of this, but thought i HAD great faith before this. The rich young ruler couldnt let go of the things dear to him and suffer for Christ, so he couldnt be saved..... and now i am having trouble letting go of this worldly aspect of my life as well. hoping someone who can help give me some advice will see this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:16 am 
Well Grant, it is obvious you are suffering and struggling spiritually and I am sorry.
Christianity/spirituality takes many different forms for many different people and far be it from me to judge anyone else's belief systems, religous affiliations or lack thereof. The Bible clearly states that is not my place. I am a born-again Christian and for most of my life have been "well-churched". I am almost twice your stated age so I feel I have a little insight to give you regarding your struggles.
I am not going to go into a bunch of theology or scripture quoting or anything like that - that's not what this forum is about.
I am simply replying to your post to offer you encouragement and support. As you stated, you are "hardcore" and I get that. There's nothing wrong with that - sometimes you just need to get a little perspective on things though. Is it possible that God led you to Suboxone treatment? that He is thrilled at all the progress Suboxone has allowed you to make in your life? I think that's very possible!
It is very easy, especially in organized religion, to place all things into two categories: right vs wrong, good vs evil, black vs white, etc. I always had difficulty with that! There are just too many things in this life that fall into gray areas. There are obvious exceptions - I believe the Bible is truth and is God's word, so if it says so in the Bible - I believe it 100%. Nowhere in my Bible does it say that medicine is evil or that I am in sin or suffer from a lack of faith if I need medication in order to live a healthier, godlier, and less sin-filled life. Know what I mean?
I think God works in ways that we cannot understand - I think we as human beings get things messed up in our heads sometimes and God doesn't have anything to do with that! I know that I am living a much more godly life since I started Suboxone and I think that's enough for now. I think God is happier with me than he has been in a while! Not necessarily because I'm on Sub (I don't really think He cares about that) After all, God had nothing to do with my addiction. But he does have everything to do with the healing - in whatever form that takes. As I said, with Suboxone I am free from the sins of lying, stealing, doing harm to my physical body, etc etc.
Now if you feel strongly some sense that God is telling you to get off Suboxone, I can't argue that. But my God is a loving God - He does not want me tortured (physically, mentally or spiritually). And that's where you're at with this - tortured, tormented at the very least. Give yourself a break - I bet God will too. If you really want off Sub - try approaching it more from a medical, scientific, or just practical standpoint rather than spiritual. Talk to your doctor and do a lot of reading on this forum and do a long, slow taper. What matters most is your continued sobriety and faithfulness to the God who got you this far in your recovey! At the end - when you're off Sub, healthy, happy and without a lot of suffering - praise God for it!!
I'll be praying for you and say one for me too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm right with you brother. Almost word for word with you. I'm a little older than you but in the same boat and feeling the same. It's rough to say the least. God has done so much in our lives why can't we just let go of this one last thing for Him? Christianity is about weakness. When we are weak our Lord is strong, more than that, He is glorified. He is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. How do we do that? What do we need to do to be even weaker so He is even more in us and for us? I've been praying for that revelation for a long time. I'm at 1.5 mg and want off this drug so bad. We must be prepared to fight, fight like you have in the past to score dope. I can think of things I did to score dope that would be in the dope feigns book of world records. We have to expect that it's not going to be easy. There are going to be withdrawals and pain. The outcome will be more rewarding and sweet than any high you have ever had. Lift one another up in payer and fight. Philippians 4:13. We can do this thing, NO - He can do this thing!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all I appreciate you trusting us enough to share your problems here and Setmefree I've always gotten alot out of your posts and I hope all of us here can keep up a healthy dialogue even though we all have varying beliefs and opinions. I consider myself a Christian but I believe strongly in a more universal picture of Christianity. That being said it has crossed my mind that perhaps Suboxone maintenance was some kind of an inability on myself to dedicate myself to pursuing a stronger sense of spiritualism or that continuing on the medication was some kind of "weakness". I suppose how one views Suboxone treatment in general would be the most important part of framing the conflict. By that I mean I have come to see Suboxone maintenance as being no different for any other medication that's used for a chronic illness such as high blood pressure or any other of a number of diseases that can only be managed rather than cured, however I do know others who think Suboxone is a treatment best used for short term maintenance and or detox. From this perspective I've begun to see staying on Suboxone as being no different than a diabetic who continues taking insulin.

Obviously finding a solution to your dilemma won't come instantly in a sudden moment of clarity but will rather most likely be arrived at through a great deal of thought and if it were me prayer. I've always been someone who has not been able to see the world in black and white and as such I often have a great deal of problems thinking there's only one "right" and "wrong" answer to problems but in this specific case I've arrived at the conclusion that without being proactive about my illness and giving it the respect it deserves I won't be around to try and serve my conception of God or anyone else. I would not expect anyone else with a chronic and potentially fatal illness such as diabetic to attempt to try and manage their condition with faith rather than medication or view insulin as some kind of "crutch". My own personal belief is that my conception of God expects me to take all reasonable measures to preserve my life and others even if that at times requires using medication and modern medicine.

Hope to continue hearing from you I know for me it was such a relief to realize that I wasn't alone and that others who had been through the same problems could empathize and that's something this forum has done for me if there's anything you need or wish to talk about you're always welcome to PM me.

Post subject: forgiveness
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:19 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Medicine is not evil, but I think we all know when we are doing something we shouldn't be... and when it has crossed a line from being something balanced... and being something wrong. (not judging here... that is not my place)

If you are like me... you feel like a hypocrite being asked to help others when you can't even help yourself... undeserving of god's love... (something we don't deserve even if we didn't screw up like we do as imperfect ones.) We love, because first he loved us. 1John 4:19 Also... iron sharpens iron.

As for when you do something wrong... it doesn't matter what it is you did... what matters is how you feel about it... like my dog... he craps in the living room... does he cower in shame? or does he not give a crap (no pun intended)... depending on how I see him react... the way I punish or forgive my dog is different.

God has a love stronger than we will ever understand. But to get an idea... he made us in his image... Gen 1:26... we have a small fraction of his love... a very wise man told me a story like this once, it brought me to tears... because I hate who I was... I hate who I was so much... I hurt so many, ruined lives... makes me sick the wrong I have to live with for the rest of my life because it cannot be undone... anyways... this story helped me.

You have a child maybe 6 or 7 years old... he goes to school for a few years... apple of your eye... a beautiful child. However he has a certain weakness that if you let go unchecked is going to plight his whole life, so you have sat down and worked with him to overcome this... the two of you have found it, defined it, corrected his thought and understanding on it, maybe there was even some physical interaction with the child too as children need sometimes because it persists... and you want to help him overcome it now. He goes off to school that day and goes onto the playground and whatever his weakness is the opportunity to give way to it arises... once more he gives in. Only this time it really strikes him, what he did, he arrives home from school, walks into the house, walks right up to you, looks up at you with sorrowful eyes and says "dad, I did today, what you said I should never do again, could you ever forgive me?" and then he just dissolves into tears.

What do you as his father do? Do you hit him?

No... why would you do that? the child's heart is totally broken, he has fully admitted his sin and you can see how miserable he is over it... you wouldn't do that.

You probably would pick him up, set him on your knee, start with a big hug and say something like "son, now what you did is wrong, I agree, but I am so proud that you were willing to tell me what you did, that honesty is becoming, and seeing how brokenhearted you are over this, you know something... you and I are going to work on this together and we will conquer it yet"

now if he had come home and told you a bold-faced lie and you knew better, that's when the pants might come down... and the pants under the pants, and there might be a generous application of the board of education to the seat of learning.... because there is an unrepentant heart there.

We are given that love in us directly from him... your heart seems like there is a war within... with his help you can and will win that war. Romans 7:14-25

Hang in there... pm me if you would like to keep in contact, I could use some help myself as my weakness kills me just the same.

John 13:35

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks guys. this helps a lot . i will be getting in contact with you guys via private message probably. and will be spending more time here. i havent been on here since my first post and was hapy to see other people in the same boat as me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:19 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Left you a PM... Yes I am feeling many thing you are, but am coming to realize that it's not about Suboxone making me distant from God. It's about me merging my previous 2 lives (the one being a good Christian man/father, and the other a closet opiate dependent man).

I had somehow created a place where I was OK with the 2 lives, but wanted only 1. I ramble on my PM to you. setmefree - if you have ramblings - I'd love a pm on this too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:37 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I was on methadone for ten years. I prayed hard for 6 months and tapered down and got on subs 2 years ago. I am a Christian too, but I feel trapped and nobody understands. I know I would e closer to God if I were off but how do you get off from here?? I'm on about 2 mg a day too. Like you, God has delivered me from so many things in my life. I tried to stop, I tapered and quit for about 3 days but I couldn't do it either. I love The Lord and the only thing I want in life is to feel His presence. I can't o to rehab bc of money and I've got kids. I feel like I'm in a trap with no way out. The only plan I can think of is to keep moving forward. Try to taper more and switch to subutex to allow my natural endorphins to start working again then try to get off. It's not tht I don't trust God, but I tried myself and I thought he would back me up but I just felt too sick. It's got to be something I'm doing wrong because I know The Lord isn't to blame. The other idea is to wait til my kids are grown and save up and go to treatment. Or maybe God just wants me to be on this medication?? It seems more like a sickness than a drug problem to me.