It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Anxious in the morning
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:48 pm 
I wake up anxious every morning on Subutex and have to take Klonopin. Does anyone else experience this? I'm currently on 4mg per day of subutex.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How long have you been taking the subutex? Have you recently dropped your dose? Have you always taken the klonopin with the subs? Are you on an anti depressant?
It's hard to answer this without more info. I don't think that anxiety is a side effect of subutex, it could be so many different things. Do you have one doctor that prescribes both drugs?
I take suboxone and celexa, and I occasionally have anxiety. But I think that the anxiety goes along with my natural depressive personality, and would be there whether or not I took the sub.
Tell us more and maybe we can help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Freedom asked some good questions that will allow us to help you out more. The other thing that I wanted to say was for many of us, anxiety is a normal outcome of stopping the opiates that we used to numb our emotions. Now we're left having to deal with life's normal ups and downs that we used to run from. It's a matter of learning to deal with it without taking a pill. At least that's the way I see it. Have you ever thought about trying meditation? There's a post about it under the "chronic pain" section. Check it out.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I used to wake up with anxiety in the morning too. My anxiety manifested itself in being afraid to go to work, being nervous about facing the day, so to speak. When I quit Suboxone, the anxiety I would get in the mornings went away.

Anxiety isn't really a factor in my life today, as long as I stay away from coffee!! A couple cups of coffee will send me into anxiety hell for an hour or two. Do you drink coffee in the morning?? If you do, you may try and cut the coffee out for a few days and see what happens?

Post subject: Anxiety in am
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:41 am 
[quote="freedom"]How long have you been taking the subutex? Have you recently dropped your dose? Have you always taken the klonopin with the subs? Are you on an anti depressant?
It's hard to answer this without more info. I don't think that anxiety is a side effect of subutex, it could be so many different things. Do you have one doctor that prescribes both drugs?
I take suboxone and celexa, and I occasionally have anxiety. But I think that the anxiety goes along with my natural depressive personality, and would be there whether or not I took the sub.
Tell us more and maybe we can help.[/quote]

I've been on subs for 7wks now. I started out on suboxone and switched to subutex. The anxiety is much better with the subutex. I didn't have panic attacks until I started on subs. I haven't recently dropped my dose and my sub doc prescribed the Klonopin to take for the anxiety with the subs. Also, I take Lexapro. I was on opiots for 9 weeks following knee surgery in May.I was only taking 2-5 Loratab 5mg / day prior to subs. Since I don't have a long history with opioits, could that be causing my anxiety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sherry,

Are you on Subs for pain relief or are you trying to get off of the Lortab?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I used to have major major morning anxiety. Part of it was not wanting to go to work, I worked with abused children and it was just killing me (plus fueling my addiction). Thankfully I do not have the job. But, I found that I would still have anxiety early on when I was getting clean. I still get it occasionally, I had to learn how to deal with it and thankfully I did. Exercise, deep breathing etc. I used to think people were crazy for suggesting that "Deep breathing won't take care of this anxiety!" but it did, after I stopped living in active addiction of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm 
[quote="Romeo"]Sherry,

Are you on Subs for pain relief or are you trying to get off of the Lortab?[/quote]

To get off the loratab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again Sherry,

Please forgive me for being so forward, but there is no way in hell that any doctor should have you on Suboxone, especially 4mg. Suboxone is a powerful medication. In my opinion, it's WAY too strong for what you were taking.

You were on 10mg/day of Lortab for 9 weeks and it doesn't sound like you were addicted to them. I'm just at a complete loss as to why you're on Suboxone.

I can't imagine that taking 2 doses of 5mg Lortab each day was enough to get you addicted. You may have developed a dependence? Even if you did, you would have been better off just quitting the Lortab cold turkey. You might have had a few days of flu like symptoms, but that's it.

It's my opinion that you should be getting off of Suboxone ASAP. Suboxone is an opiate, you'll become dependent on them if you take them long enough. I hope you plan on getting off Suboxone pretty soon.

I'm sorry if I came off all shitty to you, I'm really just incredibly surprised that any doctor in the world would have you on Suboxone for a 9 week, 10mg/day course of Lortab.

If I'm missing some part of the story, please fill me in, OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Just to back up what Romeo is saying: Suboxone maintenance (i.e. 4mg/day) is the equivalent of 80 mg Lotabs a day (as in 16 5mg tabs). No wonder you are having anxiety. You are at a near overdose of Sub for someone with your low tolerance. Does your doctor know what dose of Lortab you were on? If so, he should lose his liscence. You need to get off Suboxone ASAP. I'm really sorry to be the one telling you this.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:49 pm 
I was on 10mg percocet 5 to 6 times per day for 3weeks of those nine weeks. I think the dependence started with that. I started at 16 mg of sub and have worked my way down to 3mg now. Trying to work my way off in a month or two according to the doctor. His intention was to do a short 1 week detox but my body wouldn't allow it. I cannot just get off subs cold turkey now after 10 weeks can I ? I don't have pin point pupils. Oh, 4 years ago I had a several year addictition to Fioricet, but been clean for 4 years. However,back last Oct. and Novemeber I took loratab and percocet for tooth infection/ excision for a couple of months. That's the whole story.

Last edited by sherryneil on Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No, from what you are saying I wouldn't go cold turkey. I would continue to taper as you had planned. I wish you luck, and keep us posted on how the taper is going. (jeez, I can't believe the doc put you on 16 mg! These docs really scare me). We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:36 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Maybe suggest to your doctor that you want to slow down? Maybe a milligram a month and then a month of .5?

Post subject: More to the story
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:51 pm 
I added more to my post. Please read as it might be more enlightening. Thanks for all your help! I just want off this med. Headache, nausea, anxiety, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm 
[quote="Lillyval"]Just to back up what Romeo is saying: Suboxone maintenance (i.e. 4mg/day) is the equivalent of 80 mg Lotabs a day (as in 16 5mg tabs). No wonder you are having anxiety. You are at a near overdose of Sub for someone with your low tolerance. Does your doctor know what dose of Lortab you were on? If so, he should lose his liscence. You need to get off Suboxone ASAP. I'm really sorry to be the one telling you this.
Lilly[/quote]

Lillyval, 2mg/day of subutex is equivalent to how many 5mg Loratabs?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh Sherri, I am so sorry to hear your story. I don't know your whole story, but from what you have shared it really seems ludicrous that your doctor put you on suboxone. However, now that you are dependent on the medicine, you need to follow the doctor's instructions and taper down safely.

Does the klonipin help your anxiety? Since you are only on subs for a short time, I imagine you should just do what you need to do to get through. But you don't want to end up with a benzo addiction on top of the subs.

Like others have said, most people on sub were on a MUCH stronger dose of opiates for a much longer period of time, so it's going to react differently in your body. I am sorry for the headaches, anxiety, and other side effects you are having. I hope you can just get thru the taper and get off of these for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:55 pm 
Dear Freedom, thanks for the kind words. It is what it is though. I've already thought about the benzo addiction, too. I was on Xanax prior to Klonopin but not on a regular basis. I will just have to do what I have to to get through this. Hopefully it will be over with soon. Already worried about withdrawal. My doctor doesn't seem to think it will be bad, but that's his opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Sherry,

2mg of Suboxone would be equal to approximately 40mg of Hydrocodone (Lortab), which would be 8 of the 5mg pills you were taking.

Again, I'm sorry for coming off so shitty, I was just like :shock: when I understood your story. It certainly wasn't your fault that you were on such a high dose of Suboxone......it's my opinion that your Suboxone doctor should be shot and pissed on!!

You're at 3mg of Suboxone now, right? Seeing as you haven't been on it that long, you should be able to drop your dose by about 25% each week or so. When you do a dosage drop, it should take somewhere in the neighborhood of a week or so to feel "normal" again.

If you drop your dose and you feel really crappy, you may need to cut back to dropping your dose by 10%.

Have you had a lot of issues with your previous dose drops of Suboxone?? Have they been relatively painless?? How have you been dropping your dose.....have you been dropping 1 or 2mg's at a time??

BTW, do NOT go cold turkey off of Suboxone, you're already tapering, just keep on tapering. You can certainly minimize your withdrawal by continuing to taper down to a very low dose of Suboxone. Has your doctor given you the 2mg pills/strips yet?? They are a lot easier to do your final taper with.

I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 am 
Romeo, i haven't felt well my entire time on subs, especially suboxone and a week of generic subutex (Roxanne brand). I'm better on NB subutex and at least my blood pressure is under control. I hope to taper to 2mg in a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll feel better then since it's more equavalent to the 5 or 6 loratab I was taking. The doctor just thinks I have a personal issue with anxiety unrelated to the medicine. The whole situation pisses me off but I'm in the middle of it now. Just have to taper off. Thanks for your help and concern. Oh, I'm tapering by 1mg and on the 2mg tabs.

Sherry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:30 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sherry, you said, "...but I'm in the middle of it now. Just have to taper off.", that's a great attitude to have and it's correct. You're gonna be fine, you just have to keep tapering. We're here to help you get to zero Suboxone......you can do it!!!