It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: ANXIETY!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone for exaxtly a month now and in the beginning it was a miricle drug. I have stayed away from the pain meds that got me on Suboxone faithfully, but now I am struggling with panic attacks and cold sweats and tons of anxiety. I am currently on 12mg a day of suboxone and was wondering if it is ok to get back on anti-anxiety medication such as xanax? I can't deal with the anxiety anymore, I hate the feeling of wondering where I will be if I get a panic attack or a bout of anxiety. The feeling I feel is like a heart attack and I am affraid if I dont know the differance between the two I may be in for a rude awakining if I am having a heart attack.
A couple of weeks into the suboxone I had a panic attack and was counceled thru it by some readers here on this site. Thinking it was just a panic attack I just read up on some breathing techniques and tried to stay away from the foods that caused anxiety- ie sugars, carbs, ect..... But I am still having the anxiety and frankly dont think the Suboxone is helping anymore. I think I just traded one opiate for another. A more expensive one for that matter.
So back to the question at hand, xanax. I was prescribed 1 mg tabs while I was on prescription pain meds to deal w/anxiety. Other than the fact that it slowed me down alittle, it did take the anxiety away. But as I read into suboxone and xanax mixing all I read is horror stories from Dr's about what can happen. I understand they both effect the CNS and can cause severe breathing problems, but I also have read alot of stories from people who take the two w/no problems at all.
I am not talking about taking a handfull of xanax to relieve my anxiety. Frankly 1/2 tab used to do the trick a day, I just need to know if there is someone out there that can re-assure me that if I mix the two I will be alright. I have an appointment w/my sub dr tomorrow and I am going to ask a ton of questions on if I can continue to take my leftover prescription of xanax to help w/my anxiety. I am scared to mix it, but I have a wedding I have to be in in a week and I don't want to be the basket case I know I will be if I don't get rid of this anxiety soon. Exercise has not seemed to help, now maybe a voice will.

Thanks all. Please respond if you think you can help.

rmad9812

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you're having this problem. I'm also sorry you're losing your confidence in suboxone. Let's go with the anxiety for now. Personally, I think you'd be better off going a different route first rather than benzos right away. They can be dangerous to mix together (as you said), your doctor may not prescribe them, and they are addictive. There is another medication that's not addictive that some doctors use for anxiety. I use it for palpitations myself - beta blockers such as atenolol or metaprolol. They work extremely well and return a person from an anxiety state to a normal state, whereas benzos take a person to a relaxed state and that is what's dangerous to addicts.

I'd also suggest you read Dr. J's blog posts related to anxiety and benzos. And keep working on the meditation! It really does work for anxiety AND panic attacks.

As for you not being satisfied with the sub treatment after such a short time, if you want to discuss it, you could start a new thread.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Rmad,

From what I understand, the real danger of mixing Xanax and Suboxone is to the nontolerant, nondependent individuals, even then, I believe the doses of Benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium) have to be quite high to cause trouble.

I've been looking around the internet for an article I read months and months ago on this subject, but I can't find it. To the best of my recollection, there were 3 highly publicized deaths in Europe where the 3 individuals were on Suboxone, but taking Benzo's intravenously. It was the massive dose of Benzo's they were getting that caused the deaths. Respiratory depression is what they died of.

For sure, ask your doctor for his advice though.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Same ol friends to the rescue!
I am not saying I am not pleased with the sub treatment, I have stayed off the oxy for well over a month with no cravings. And I have not missed work like I used to. Its just the constant worry about anxiety and the anxiety itself that get to me. I am def not a first time user of xanax. Iam talking about taking a .5 mg dosage to take the edge off the attack. slow down the heart rate. And I have never been in a relaxed state while taking xanax. I have always been too hyped up to be relaxed. It just made me normal again.
Well have to finish this tomorrow or later tonight. I have to get to a State Championship little league game.
TTYG later!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey sorry to hear you are having some trouble right now but I would say at least wait it out till you can talk to your Sub Dr. I don’t know if you get UAs aka drug tested at your Dr But if you do and they find Benzos in your system you can be in a shit load of trouble and the last thing you need is to lose your suboxone script. DRs don’t play around when it comes to Benzos mixed with Sub it is very dangerous no matter how low of dose or your tolerance each person body will react different to the interaction of the two drugs and it has been fatal for numerous addicts. As of panic attacks I also suffer from them have my whole life and I use to take valium but honestly there are so many better ways to deal with anxiety than taking xannax. And with the state you are in only being on the Subs for a month just starting to get your recovery in order taking a benzo is the last thing you need. There are other medications if they are that bad but really man you can deal with them without meds if you learn how to and get the right help from a mental health Dr. I never thought I would be able to deal with my attacks without medication I haven’t taken any thing for the last 5 years since starting my recovery and when I do have one now that I am in a much better mind state they are so easy to overcome and being sober will help you but you only have a month under your belt so give ti time don’t rush to conclusions yes Sub does not work for some people and they need to switch to methadone but only being on it for such a short while give it a chance.

Post subject: Xanax
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:55 pm 

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with the anxiety, but it is not recommended to put anyone on a Benzo while taking Sub.

Dr. Junig, an expert on addiction and also a member of this site has a webcam page that address's peoples problems with the drug and it covers a great deal of related topics, yours being one of them. I was just there recently and your question was asked. My suggestion is for you to go look at it and see if it would benefit you or not.

Hit the tab up top for Talk Zone and you should be able to find it from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You might want to try reducing your Sub dose first and see if that helps. Sub can have kind of a "speedy" effect on some people, and as a person with anxiety you know that speedy drugs only exacerbate anxiety. You can probably go down to 8mg with no problem, and if that doesn't help you could probably go lower under the guidance of your Sub doc. IMO benzos are risky, addictive drugs and I would definitely try something else first.
Hope you feel better,
Lilly