It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I need some help finding a good antidepressant. As you guys know, I relapsed on alcohol in the beginning of September. Since then, it's been really difficult. It is so many things at once coming at me. I don't ever remember being this depressed in my life. I'd say at least 1/3 of my hair has fallen out from sheer stress and depression. I'm taking a low dose of Prozac, but it's not working. HELP!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey LT Sorry about the depression. Maybe you could try paxil. I have heard a lot for good things about it. If sub helped you with your drinking you could always go back on it if it means keeping you healthy. Hope you find relief soon.
Courtney B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey LT. I've been on a number of anti-depressants. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It also depends a lot on you as a person, and what exactly is the deficiency that leads to your own depression.

Treating psychiatric conditions with medication is, compared to other fields of medicine, a fairly new concept. I do think that medication and treatments for depression will get a lot better in the years to come. For now, the medication that most people are given are either SSRI or SNRI's. Prozac is an SSRI and you're familiar with it. If it's not working for you, then Luvox / Fluvoxamine probably won't work either because they're both quite related. It's a shame because Luvox is quite a good medication for many. Prozac and Luvox are perhaps on the "weaker" side which is good because (a) it's hard to get dependent / experience withdrawals and (b) potentially less side-effects. One popular "newer" anti-depressant is Lexapro, which is very similar to Cipramil. They just tweaked the chemistry a tiny bit to apparently reduce some side-effects. Some of the stronger SSRI's are Zoloft and Paxil. Paxil I might consider the most dependence forming of the SSRI's, and some doctors even claim it's more of an SNRI than an SSRI.

Then you got the SNRI's - meds like Effexor, Pristiq, Cymbalta. These meds for me were always very effective mood boosters. However they also had a speedy, stimulant like effect for me. Effexor was bad for the sexual side-effects. I felt like a complete eunuch on it. Cymbalta and Pristiq on the other hand were okay and it wasn't a problem. When these medications get difficult is when you wanna go off them. There's quite a nasty withdrawal period that can leave you floored. I also found that tapering wasn't that effective. I'd just reduce then I'd hit a point (at a low dose) when I'd start experiencing withdrawal it'd come on pretty strong. However I do have a "trick" to help get me off SNRI's that I swear by. Also the SNRI's apparently have more of an anti-anxiety effect, and doctors seem to prescribe them more when people have anxiety & depression.

One of the issues with these meds that many people complain about are the sexual side-effects. It seems like the stronger / more serotonin boosting / more dependence forming the anti-depressant, the more sexual side-effects... But this isn't always the case. Often docs prescribe Bupropion / Zyban with an anti-depressant to reduce this effect, though I never had it.

However for me I stay away from SSRI's / SNRI's these days. They seem to activate my bipolar, and last time I was on them I went a bit manic. I've also found that I'd often relapse into heroin shortly after I was put on them. In fact, the relationship for me is so strong that I refuse to take them anymore. BUT many recovering addicts / alcoholics don't share this problem. I think it's because I have bipolar, and when my mood gets lifted too high I instinctively reach for opioids to level out my insanity.

These days I find Remeron and Agomelatine (this one's not in America) work really well. I'm not the kinda guy that puts weight on easily so I haven't piled on any kg's / pounds from the Remeron. They seem to lift my mood without sending it too high, or triggering my desire to use drugs.

There's also the "oldschool" tricyclics and the MAOI's. These aren't prescribed as much these days, but for some people they're the only ones that work. General consensus is they have more side-effects, esp dry-mouth, dry eyes, sleepiness etc. And there's also St. John's wort. This is proven effective for mild-depression, and is a "first-line" treatment option in Germany. But once a person's depression gets moderate or severe, it has little effect.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have you ever tried lexapro? It has to be the name brand, there is a difference (IMO). You could also add ambilify to it. This has worked well for me.

Post subject: Wow, thank you!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeJay wrote:
Hey LT. I've been on a number of anti-depressants. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It also depends a lot on you as a person, and what exactly is the deficiency that leads to your own depression.

Treating psychiatric conditions with medication is, compared to other fields of medicine, a fairly new concept. I do think that medication and treatments for depression will get a lot better in the years to come. For now, the medication that most people are given are either SSRI or SNRI's. Prozac is an SSRI and you're familiar with it. If it's not working for you, then Luvox / Fluvoxamine probably won't work either because they're both quite related. It's a shame because Luvox is quite a good medication for many. Prozac and Luvox are perhaps on the "weaker" side which is good because (a) it's hard to get dependent / experience withdrawals and (b) potentially less side-effects. One popular "newer" anti-depressant is Lexapro, which is very similar to Cipramil. They just tweaked the chemistry a tiny bit to apparently reduce some side-effects. Some of the stronger SSRI's are Zoloft and Paxil. Paxil I might consider the most dependence forming of the SSRI's, and some doctors even claim it's more of an SNRI than an SSRI.

Then you got the SNRI's - meds like Effexor, Pristiq, Cymbalta. These meds for me were always very effective mood boosters. However they also had a speedy, stimulant like effect for me. Effexor was bad for the sexual side-effects. I felt like a complete eunuch on it. Cymbalta and Pristiq on the other hand were okay and it wasn't a problem. When these medications get difficult is when you wanna go off them. There's quite a nasty withdrawal period that can leave you floored. I also found that tapering wasn't that effective. I'd just reduce then I'd hit a point (at a low dose) when I'd start experiencing withdrawal it'd come on pretty strong. However I do have a "trick" to help get me off SNRI's that I swear by. Also the SNRI's apparently have more of an anti-anxiety effect, and doctors seem to prescribe them more when people have anxiety & depression.

One of the issues with these meds that many people complain about are the sexual side-effects. It seems like the stronger / more serotonin boosting / more dependence forming the anti-depressant, the more sexual side-effects... But this isn't always the case. Often docs prescribe Bupropion / Zyban with an anti-depressant to reduce this effect, though I never had it.

However for me I stay away from SSRI's / SNRI's these days. They seem to activate my bipolar, and last time I was on them I went a bit manic. I've also found that I'd often relapse into heroin shortly after I was put on them. In fact, the relationship for me is so strong that I refuse to take them anymore. BUT many recovering addicts / alcoholics don't share this problem. I think it's because I have bipolar, and when my mood gets lifted too high I instinctively reach for opioids to level out my insanity.

These days I find Remeron and Agomelatine (this one's not in America) work really well. I'm not the kinda guy that puts weight on easily so I haven't piled on any kg's / pounds from the Remeron. They seem to lift my mood without sending it too high, or triggering my desire to use drugs.

There's also the "oldschool" tricyclics and the MAOI's. These aren't prescribed as much these days, but for some people they're the only ones that work. General consensus is they have more side-effects, esp dry-mouth, dry eyes, sleepiness etc. And there's also St. John's wort. This is proven effective for mild-depression, and is a "first-line" treatment option in Germany. But once a person's depression gets moderate or severe, it has little effect.

I cannot thank you enough for that reply. I followed up on what you wrote, and you are very informed.

I have an appointment today and I'm going to ask him if we can try Paxil. It may result in dependency, but I am desperate. I guess it is the same for people starting Suboxone.

I am at the very bottom, for sure. I am starting from nothing. I have no friends, no hobbies, no career, and no hope. My life is about trying to shield my eyes from the disorganization of things and thoughts that is always rotating around me. I think about this lady I know who has brain cancer, and I feel so sad for her little children....and for her. I wonder if that would be worse than where I'm am, and I don't think so. I feel like there is another life after this one, and maybe this one just hasn't worked well for me. I won't kill myself, because when anyone else in the world loves you, that is off the table. And after all, life is only eighty years, and if I've done thirty-four, then I can do the rest.

I've been depressed since childhood. The one thing I have going for me now is honesty with my situation. I am not like other people, and I am not sure I'm like anyone else, in fact. I'm only been jumping from one form of disfunction to another, since I was little.

I will update with what the doctor says.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey LT. The one thing about Paxil / Paroxetine is it's a bit more renowned for sexual side-effects than some of the other SSRI's. I've never been on it myself but my sister and mother have both been on it and swore by it (yes this shit runs in my family). Of course if this side-effect annoys you, you can always switch. It's easier to switch anti-depressants than to stop altogether.

Also... most of how you're viewing the world is through the lens of depression. So do your best not to take it too seriously. Just get by and it'll be treated soon enough. I'd also suggest having someone keep an eye on you while you transition onto the anti-depressants... because for some people it can get a lil bit worse before it gets better after you start taking them. There's usually a window period of a week or two or three before the brain adjusts to them. For me it was usually only 3-5 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeJay wrote:
Hey LT. The one thing about Paxil / Paroxetine is it's a bit more renowned for sexual side-effects than some of the other SSRI's. I've never been on it myself but my sister and mother have both been on it and swore by it (yes this shit runs in my family). Of course if this side-effect annoys you, you can always switch. It's easier to switch anti-depressants than to stop altogether.

Also... most of how you're viewing the world is through the lens of depression. So do your best not to take it too seriously. Just get by and it'll be treated soon enough. I'd also suggest having someone keep an eye on you while you transition onto the anti-depressants... because for some people it can get a lil bit worse before it gets better after you start taking them. There's usually a window period of a week or two or three before the brain adjusts to them. For me it was usually only 3-5 days.

I will keep the transition period on mind. I feel like such total crap, mentally and physically. I think they play into each other. My pain level is driving me bonkers and my depression is making my pain level worse, I think. I has to get better. Thanks so much, TJ.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi, I just wanted to say that I am currently taking Sam-E, and it's helping my depression without any real side effects that I can notice. You can buy it at the store, no prescription needed. Im not sure if it's easy to come off of or not, I'm assuming it's not too bad (my psychiatrist says its not)

I generally dont like anti depressants, although it's been years since I was on one. I was on Remeron for a while and it was ok.

Just wanted to throw that out there. It hasn't totally changed my life or anything, but it definitely has given me a mood boost since I've been on it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

laddertipper wrote:
I need some help finding a good antidepressant. As you guys know, I relapsed on alcohol in the beginning of September. Since then, it's been really difficult. It is so many things at once coming at me. I don't ever remember being this depressed in my life. I'd say at least 1/3 of my hair has fallen out from sheer stress and depression. I'm taking a low dose of Prozac, but it's not working. HELP!

laddertipper

I would have actually thought your long tapering off the sub would not make you feel the way you were. It seems the sub does still in the blood and fatty cells after all, and releases over many months and years. I hope your fine right now but to me it's another sign of a downer, in the the sense that no matter how you taper off this medicine the symptoms are the same. So far I have not read too many success stores and it seems people who go cold turkey or jump from a high dose experience dont have it worse then those who taper down. The half life must come into the equation here, I think tapering still means your accumulating the sub, and that only can mean its half life, hence why I don't see too many differences between cold turkey guys and those who taper. I am even seeing more reports of people getting depressed around 6 months, this has to do with the half life of sub sticking in the receptors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Total garbage. I'm sorry but you can't possibly say any of this as really factual. Maybe some tapering stuff. But. These side effects don't happen in tons of us. This is what leads me to believe that it's not the Suboxone and most are blaming it because it's new and don't want to accept severe depression or any other illness of the brain or body. Point is. Don't post stuff that others will read just starting out and scare their pants off thinking this is the worst medicine in the world.... unless you know for a fact that this stuff happens at least almost every time in everyone.