It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would love to hear the success stories of subox and an antidepressant. What worked for you and what didn't?

Thanks in advance.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on so many antidepressants over the years! I've been on sub now for just over 2 years. For the last year I've been on Celexa, as well as two mood stabilizers (Abilify and Lamictal). I'm so happy to report that this combination is working extremely well - it is now anyway. A few months ago, when I was on 20 mg of Celexa, I went into another major depressive episode. So my doctor increased my dose from 20 to 60 and boy, did that do the trick! (They also increased one of my mood stabilizers.) Since these adjustments I've been very stable.

When it comes to antidepressants, it often is a matter of trial and error - seeking the one that works for you with the least amount of side effects. Next it's finding the dose that works for you. It took a while for me, but I'm happy with my current treatment.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking Remeron daily for the last 9 months or so and it has made a drastic change in my life. I was semi underweight when I started on it and it has helped me put on some needed pounds and my sleep is much better. I recently tried adding Celexa to it to see if that helped but I do fine with just the Remeron. The Celexa was turning my skin all pink and making me itch like mad. I don't know if it was an allergic reaction or what it was. I would try Lexapro but I don't believe there is a generic for that. Anyways I'm glad it works for you hatmaker and I just wanted to put my experience in here.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ive been on suboxone for 4 years now prozac for 2 and all i can say if it wasnt for prozac i would of relapsed a long time ago. I suffer from really bad panic attacks and ocd and the strees for the 2 lead to thoughts of relapse and all that fun stuf;( I use to be on benzos for a short time period but it was way to dangerous to keep me on them with the sub so the docs and i tryed many other options and prozac seem to work the best. I can say that prozac saved my life more than suboxone even i dont know were i would be now with out it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My experiences with anti-depressants have been the opposite, unfortunately. While they've often saved me from depression, the speedy feel of the SNRI's I've been put on (Effexor, Pristiq) often lead me to relapse :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been told that Effexor can act a lot like Tramadol, so maybe that's why it's a trigger. You might want to try an SSRI. I've been on several of them, and Celexa/Lexapro have worked best for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:21 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have been on sub for 7 weeks now, and the biggest surprise so far is how "good" I feel.
Not high, just good. I tried a couple of anti-depressants over the years when dealing with
very stressful situations, and they did nothing for me.

Now, I am taking suboxone to stay away from opiates and from day one, I have a new
sense of well being that makes this drug far more than just a way to stay out of withdrawals.

I am so grateful.

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi,

When I started on Subs I developed insomnia(really bad) and depression. I was very depressed. I would cry & cry for no reason and walk around feeling sad most of the time. Almost everything made me cry.

My Sub doctor put me on Remeron. At firt 15mg. I slept very little and my moods didn't improve very much..

He put me on 30 mg. and I seem to be good on that dosage. I sleep, not a lot but at least 5-6 hours, which is good for me. My mood has improved greatly. No more crying and I am not sad all the time.

So I would say the Remeron works for me. I hope it continues to work this way.

Take care of yourselves, Queenie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:35 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Queenie...how soon after starting Sub did you get depressed?
I have been on wellbutrin and it works...altho I did have to recently change to the immediate release because XR costs too much and I don't have insurance.
I've been much more depressed than usual...cry quite a lot, feel pretty low...very low...this is unusual for me and I'm having some anxiety which is also unusual for me. I've been on Sub no 3 months and am on 12mg heading towards 8mg.
I called my Sub dr and he upped my wellbutrin dose to a take it twice a day. He said he didn't think my symptoms had anything to do with Sub. but I can't imagine that just changing my wellbutrin from XR to immediate relase would make this much difference.
Anyone have any similar experience new on Sub?

Post subject: China....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:20 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I've tried all the wellbutrins, the 75mg IR did not seem to work, tried the 150mg SR did not seem to work ( after 2 days could not sleep ) , the XL did nothing either, I tried to make this drug work, I tried each variety for at least 2 months... I know it is a great drug and I wanted it to help me so bad, it seemed to make me tired , now I just take my Suboxone, I hope it helps you though, my shrink is so oldfashion he believes anyone on wellbutrin should also be on a mood stabilizing drug. All these psych Drs want you down, HATE DOWN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks Painter,

I'm sorry it didn't work for you....I like wellbutrin for many reasons....fewer side effects and as I said it had been working. I just hope this is just a slump for me and upping my dose of wellbutrin will help...I'm not doing very well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Chinagirl,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're not doing well. I, unfortunately, don't have any advice to offer you, but I can tell you that I'm thinking of you and I'm praying for you!! I genuinely hope that you get to feeling better very soon. Hang in there!!

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Thanks, Romeo. I appreciate that. I hope it's just a weird slump and nothing huge. Not fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Suboxone has been a miracle drug for me. It completely took away my cravings for oxy, hydro's, and all other substances. Something was still missing for me and my Doc prescribed Zoloft for PTSD. The Zoloft has been amazing and to make it better has given me no side affects whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

"My friend" is taking suboxone for the sole purpose of using it as an anti-depressant, and it has worked great for him! He posted here a while back about using suboxone for the sole purpose of curing depressive symptoms, not opiate addiction. So far, he has noticed much less anxiety, heightened mood, more self confidence. His therapist has noticed a positive improvement in him as well. He's been on it for must be 5 or 6 months now. Wow, can't believe it's been that long!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think I remember someone coming on here who had horrible major depression and nothing worked for him. He was at the end of his rope and was pretty desperate. I recall he was considering suboxone. I'm so happy to hear it is helping him. Relief from that kind of depression is so wonderful. Thanks for letting us know.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:10 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have been taking subs for bout 2 years now and have been taking seroquel at night for the same amount of time. Seroquel definitely helped my mood.. I am more hyper and edgy then depressed so it pretty much helps keep me even. I am weaning off subs now and dont plan on stopping the seroquel after I am done with subs :)

Post subject: Lexapro/Remeron
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started Suboxone about 4 months ago, after a 6 year hydro/oxy addiction. I have been on lexapro for about 4 years, take it for GAD/depression. When I first started sub, I had major insomnia. I would stay up all night - I felt so wired. When I did finally get to sleep, I would wake up every 2 hours. My sub doc added remeron about a month ago, and It has made a big difference in my sleep. I find I am able to fall asleep almost instantly, which Ive never been able to do. The remeron has also lifted my mood.
The only negative side effect I had was an incredible increase in my appetite! This went away after about a week or so.

Just yesterday, I got a new RX for generic Subutex, and will be starting that tomorow. The change in medication, suboxone to Subutex, makes me a little worried but I know It will be just fine. Ive read numerous posts and many people have reported it works great. At the beginning of the Suboxone therapy, I had some nasty side effects- pounding head aches, nausea, ect, BUT these side effects went away within a few days. So if you are just starting suboxone and are having similar side effects. do not get discouraged, just hang in there and your body will adjust to the medication. Although I was in moderate WD's when I was inducted, I believe the Suboxone was detoxing what drugs were left in my system and this may have contributed to my not feeling so hot the first 3 days after starting treatment.

I am very thankful I found this forum, thanks to everyone for being so kind and helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:18 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've tried all sorts of antidepressants (celexa, mirtzapine, effexor, zoloft, st. johns wort). They were all an utter failure unfortunately.

HOWEVER, since one of my hobbies is avidly researching various ethnobotanicals/enthegens I have discovered a miracle herb called "Kanna" or Scletium tortuosum. The active ingredient is 'mesimbrine' and the pharma companies were doing a lot of research with it a few years ago. It has powerful antidepressant/motivational properties. I have some pharmaceutical grade extract where I only need max - 100mg a day. It has a reverse tolerance effect,whereas, the more you use it, the more effective it becomes. :)

PM if you need a high quality source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

HNH777 wrote:
"My friend" is taking suboxone for the sole purpose of using it as an anti-depressant, and it has worked great for him! He posted here a while back about using suboxone for the sole purpose of curing depressive symptoms, not opiate addiction. So far, he has noticed much less anxiety, heightened mood, more self confidence. His therapist has noticed a positive improvement in him as well. He's been on it for must be 5 or 6 months now. Wow, can't believe it's been that long!

can I ask what dosage he has been taking throughout his stay on sub?